Author Topic: Generator voltage drops  (Read 7064 times)

Jackie

• View Profile
Re: Generator voltage drops
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:52:30 PM »
Hi,
Thx for info The fuel rack is exactly like mine I will get some fuel system cleaner but I do not have any rust or anything dirty in this rack area but yes inside might be dirty
Let me check it out!!
Jackie

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »
As it looks like a governor problem you could try........

Disconnect everything except the water pump, start the genny and then use a bit of string, baling wire or bootlace to manually get the revs into the correct zone and stay there.

As it's a constant load it should stay wherever you leave it, with a bit of luck whatever is stuck could well free up with the warmth and vibration, should you be that lucky the motor shouldn't overspeed, the governor ought to shut it down.

Anyway, if you stand by it for half an hour or so you'll have moved some water in the right direction whilst Bob continues with the non bush engineering side of the problem!!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 05:29:04 PM »
Jackie, where in SA are you?

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
Hi
I live in East Londen

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »
Hi Bob
How is your time to further test / check the engine governor side please?

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
Jackie, you are lucky.  EdDee on this forum is a genius and he lives in EL.  I'm sure he can help you if he pops his head up.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:11:34 PM by dax021 »

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
Hi Dax021,
I am hoping that Ed Dee is back on the seventh Jan as he was very willing to assist me
Will keep you guys posted on the outcome!!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:53 PM »
Hi Jackie, I did send you a dropbox link where you should be able to download the workshop manual. Since I have very little faith in modern technology, I also printed and scanned the relevant pages and have emailed them to you. I also attach a couple of photos of of the governor assembly on mine before I rebuilt it.

When you get my email, please see the top left hand corner of page 39, it is very possible that you have this speed adjustment on your engine. If the spring is damaged it might well bog down under load.

If EdDee lives locally he would be an ideal man to help resolve these issues.

Bob

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
Hi Bob
Just opened mycover and governor looks identical to yours Does this gorvenor work on your genset I will look at that spring on P38 that you are referring to aswell If i do not come right I will contact ed on Monday to assist
Thx so long

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 09:43:45 PM »
Hi Jackie, yes that type of governor works very well on my generator and holds RPM to within 1/2 a percent, even under heavy load. My generator is a Startomatic so it has a solenoid to switch the fuel rack on and off. It also has the adjustable throttle mechanism shown in the photo. the RPM can be adjusted by loosening and tightening the long bolts.

Bob

Jackie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2019, 06:16:58 AM »
Hi guys
Good news I found the fault on my lister st 2 8kva genset wrt volt drop under load In the control box there is a rectifier snd current tranformer The transf was fine but somehow previous owner swapped the bridge rect positive and negative The genset is now running inductive loads starting on 15 amps with minimall change in voltage and freq I just changed the bridge frectifier for good measure So all the stripping governors and injector checks are now done anyway but at the end a R40 bridge caused the fault
Thx to all for help much appreciated

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2019, 08:33:23 AM »
Well done Jackie, you managed to resolve a very unusual problem. I hope your Lister will now give you many years useful of service.

Bob

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
Jackie, would you mind posting some photo's of the inside of your junction box.  My Hoffberg generates fine, but the battery charger is putting out something like 60V.  I'd like to compare, thanks.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2019, 10:06:36 AM »
Hi Glort, I have seen the ignition coil gap problem so many times it always one of my first checks. Without a good spark it`s never going to light off. A trick I learned years ago and have used ever since is to put a strip of insulating tape on the flywheel. Adjust the coil until it touches the tape and tighten, spin the flywheel and remove the tape. Insulation tape is around 10 thou thick, I have never had it fail. It`s a lot easier than buggering about with feeler gauges, even if you know what the correct gap is supposed to be.

Bob