Author Topic: Englands Farm dependence on Lister  (Read 2680 times)

overbore

• View Profile
Englands Farm dependence on Lister
« on: January 01, 2019, 04:22:30 AM »
Source is :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUsU5s0ofYo&t=502shttp:/ which said between 1926 and 1964 thousands of small Listers powered off-grid farms during the war.(WW-2).These were Lister Light units powered by ( hard to get petrol)
Laus Deo
ovebore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUsU5s0ofYo&t=1036s
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:35:04 AM by overbore »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Englands Farm dependence on Lister
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:36:29 AM »
+1 Glort, I also watched the video and enjoyed it. Despite it being wartime with the fear of invasion and starvation the people thrived, lived happy and healthy lives and more importantly had a goal in life. I wonder what that says about our modern society in which everything is available at the click of a mouse pointer, provided you have the money or credit to buy it?

Bob

guest23837

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »
I grew up in Northern Ireland it was the last part of the UK to get rural electrification. Up to the mid 1980's you could hear the Lister 6/1 chugging away everywhere in the countryside at night because many people kept their engine even when mains power was available. The sound of a Lister diesel is nostalgia to me so this year I intend to finish the slow speed generator even though it's a cement mixer engine rather than a CS

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:08:00 PM »
In the fourth series, a "Field Marshal" diesel tractor is being shown. The fuel is preheated with a fiber( paper ? burn) then a 12 ga(guess) blank cartridge turns over the flywheel which starts the engine. Not a bad idea to copy. The KC-135 had that cartridge starter idea for alert purposes to start one engine. overbore

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 11:26:56 PM »
Same thing with old John Deeres.  i remember one from the '50s with a "bomb" start.  Common, I think

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
I watched half the series last night-  very well done.  The achievement of the UK farmers was amazing, as was the performance of the people of the UK.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 08:21:03 PM »
Same thing with old John Deeres.  i remember one from the '50s with a "bomb" start.  Common, I think

My old 1955 Deere has a flathead v-4 gasoline engine to start the 2 cyl diesel. Never heard of a "bomb" start John Deere, but I would be very interested in that possibility.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:30:44 AM »
YOuTube has ample vids of Coffman cartridge starters. The Boeing company fitted English Canberra super large cartridge starters ( B-57) to the SAC KC-135 jet engines for emergency ( alert) starts.Lots of smoke and gas that spun over our jet engines. overbore