Puppeteer

Author Topic: Englands Farm dependence on Lister  (Read 279 times)

overbore

• View Profile
Englands Farm dependence on Lister
« on: January 01, 2019, 04:22:30 AM »
Source is :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUsU5s0ofYo&t=502shttp:/ which said between 1926 and 1964 thousands of small Listers powered off-grid farms during the war.(WW-2).These were Lister Light units powered by ( hard to get petrol)
Laus Deo
ovebore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUsU5s0ofYo&t=1036s
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:35:04 AM by overbore »

glort

• View Profile
Re: Englands Farm dependence on Lister
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:08:10 AM »

What an excellent Doco!
I started watching for the lister and enjoyed the whole thing.  I'll be watching the rest of the series in due course.

Even the first couple of minutes was interesting.  I saw a Lanz Bulldog tractor and then they were driving to the farm in an Austin 7 Which my grandparents had and told me much about.  A tiny little car  that makes one wonder how they ever drove it the distances they did.  Always said if I found one I'd buy it in their memory.  Not a lot of them about.

Thanks for the link. That's the kind of stuff that makes YT worthwhile watching and a valuable but under rated resource of information.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:36:29 AM »
+1 Glort, I also watched the video and enjoyed it. Despite it being wartime with the fear of invasion and starvation the people thrived, lived happy and healthy lives and more importantly had a goal in life. I wonder what that says about our modern society in which everything is available at the click of a mouse pointer, provided you have the money or credit to buy it?

Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »
I grew up in Northern Ireland it was the last part of the UK to get rural electrification. Up to the mid 1980's you could hear the Lister 6/1 chugging away everywhere in the countryside at night because many people kept their engine even when mains power was available. The sound of a Lister diesel is nostalgia to me so this year I intend to finish the slow speed generator even though it's a cement mixer engine rather than a CS
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:08:00 PM »
In the fourth series, a "Field Marshal" diesel tractor is being shown. The fuel is preheated with a fiber( paper ? burn) then a 12 ga(guess) blank cartridge turns over the flywheel which starts the engine. Not a bad idea to copy. The KC-135 had that cartridge starter idea for alert purposes to start one engine. overbore

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 11:26:56 PM »
Same thing with old John Deeres.  i remember one from the '50s with a "bomb" start.  Common, I think

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:00:12 AM »

Watched all that series and found it very good. Really gives you an idea of what people went through.

There is another series similar on Victorian farms. Seems enlightening as well.

Aircraft also used the shotgun starter system as well as found on some old boats.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
I watched half the series last night-  very well done.  The achievement of the UK farmers was amazing, as was the performance of the people of the UK.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:46:44 PM »

Could you imagine the same thing today?

The attitudes and sense of entitlement would have people rioting because internet was restricted or non functional and the latest Iphoney was due for release 6 Months ago and it still wasn't in the shops.  Teens to adults would be committing Suicide en mass because they could not live without their electronic devises.

As for people dragging out scrap and building things they needed.... get real! I reckons thousands of these new places round here on a handkerchief size bit of land wouldn't even have a cordless drill in their sheds. I think they purposefully create whole areas that are 100% dependent and do not have the ability to be self sufficient in any way.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 08:21:03 PM »
Same thing with old John Deeres.  i remember one from the '50s with a "bomb" start.  Common, I think

My old 1955 Deere has a flathead v-4 gasoline engine to start the 2 cyl diesel. Never heard of a "bomb" start John Deere, but I would be very interested in that possibility.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 04:30:44 AM »
YOuTube has ample vids of Coffman cartridge starters. The Boeing company fitted English Canberra super large cartridge starters ( B-57) to the SAC KC-135 jet engines for emergency ( alert) starts.Lots of smoke and gas that spun over our jet engines. overbore