Puppeteer

Author Topic: Video of current setup  (Read 26852 times)

John (Boston)

• View Profile
Video of current setup
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:07:57 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Made a little video yesterday of my current "temporary" setup.  This is the first winter that it's been outside and in a convenient position to run it.  Last year I did start it at about 32F one time.  It had straight 30 weight oil in it.  This winter I have 10-30 Kubota diesel rated oil in it.  Seems a lot better already.  It was 43F yesterday when I lit it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJ38ZDjhZw

I'm going to do several test runs as it gets colder to make sure I can get it going when it's needed.  The crazy weather we have here will often bring a big snowstorm followed by several clear but below zero (F) days.  If the power goes out during the snowstorm I need this to start so the house doesn't freeze in the following days (pellet fired boiler for heat).

I originally had it set up in my basement but had to move it outside due to exhaust issues.  No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop the "bus smell" from creeping into the house (back of the bus smell).  I liked it inside because it was easier to run in winter and the waste heat was inside the house.  Plus it gave the whole house a comforting "throb", kind of like a ship.

-John (Boston)

Metro 6/1 (genset)
Cummins 6BT (89 Dodge truck, bought it new)
Cummins 4BT (91 Oshkosh bread truck)
Kubota D1005 (B2320 tractor)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Video of current setup
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:49:24 PM »
Now that's what I call a trolley.  That is a wheel/roller under the generator end isn't it?

Nothing is more permanent than "temporary".  I'm betting the video of moving it from the basement to the garage would be fun too.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »
Like Casey, I would love to see the video of the beast being moved! Good build, and a very ingenious use of rubber chock blocks, I may  have to borrow that idea.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
I must assume John must have disassembled it to move it. 
Nice looking setup, John.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 10:59:52 PM »
Very nice video John, thank you. I have a question about your ST generator head, I have looked at a lot of videos of these heads in operation, yours rotates anti clockwise when viewed from the pulley end. I have also seen them running clockwise. The instruction manual for my head clearly shows it running clockwise, what effect if any would this have on the polarity of the output?

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:45:33 AM »
The ST heads I'm familiar with work equally well in either direction. My ST-3 is running CCW to make room for a compressor head driven off the other flywheel, most run it CW for a smaller frame footprint.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 03:48:50 AM »
Very nice video John, thank you. I have a question about your ST generator head, I have looked at a lot of videos of these heads in operation, yours rotates anti clockwise when viewed from the pulley end. I have also seen them running clockwise. The instruction manual for my head clearly shows it running clockwise, what effect if any would this have on the polarity of the output?

Bob

Your AC is 180 deg out of phase and L1 becomes L2   .    But seriously, nothing happens.  Maybe if brushes were broken in one direction, they may have to "wear in" for the other direction.

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 04:01:39 AM »
Was'nt there discussion about the air flow thru the gen head for cooling?
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 05:30:54 AM »
Probably depends on whether it has straight (flat) fan blades or shaped, one-directional) ones?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 06:27:17 AM »
Mike's right, the typical ST fan blade is straight and bidirectional.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »
Hi Guys, none of the replies have really answered my question. On a standard generator head there is one tapping which remains neutral while the other tapping swings from +370 volts to -370 volts (240 volt RMS). My concern is that rotating the generator head in the wrong direction will reverse this so the neutral will swing from +370 volts to -370 volts. Not a problem until you have an appliance that has a shared earth and neutral, at which point the sh1t hits the fan. This could have significant effects on the performance/life expectancy of the generator, AVR`s and the operator.

Bob

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »
43 degrees and bare feet you are an ironman.

guest23837

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 03:57:08 PM »
Barefoot engineer you have to love it!

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
Barefoot Engineering.  Has anyone copyrighted it yet? 

At least he doesn't have to worry about tropical critters biting his toes.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
Bob, to answer your question regarding rotation:
Regardless of rotation the neutral will be the center point, which would be tied to the house neutral, which is grounded.  The ST stator windings are essentially a transformer secondary, so which way you spin the rotor (with 4 electromagnet poles) makes no difference.

Like a transformer secondary, you could tie the neutral to any other AC voltage you wanted,  and the L1 and L2 would shift accordingly. 

The 110/220 scheme as Edison's for DC power- got twice the power to the home with adding only 1 wire, with the safety of only 110V to earth.  Later AC power just copied it for DC appliance compatibility. Edison quickly learned to not use the earth as a conductor (Brooklyn "Dodgers" was due to DC step potential and it's affect on horses) and did not ground the neutral except at the plant.  Alas, the AC power companies starting around 1920 began the abomination of engineering known as MEN or multiply earthed neutral.  It allowed the power co to use home water and gas pipes for grounding their distribution neutral which violates transformer isolation throughout the distribution system.  It causes 100 times higher magnetic fields in homes and injects about a measured 25-33% of the neutral AC current to flow through the earth an aquifers.