Author Topic: Metal working files  (Read 375 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Metal working files
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »
I started using Greenlee hack saw blades-  I cut them into 3 pieces and used them in my air body saw since the body saw blades are pricey and poor quality. 

They cut like crazy when fresh, and are cheap enough I don't mind replacing them often.
I've tried other brands and none were as good for cutting and blade life.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 09:45:01 PM »
When I was 11 I went to a really good Grammar School. the intake was from the 84 / 92% portion of those passing the 11 plus exam and the aim was to turn out apprentices and middle management (it all went wrong with me!)

Anyway, the first project in metal work was to make a boot scraper, cutting and filing a 1" square of " steel plate for the blade and then riveting it to a handle, Mr Eaton was not best pleased with those dragged the file on the reverse cut, unless you were draw filing. The thing I did best was getting my apron covered in 'blue' whilst marking out.

These days I do as much as possible with the 4" grinder and a 1mm slitting disc......

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:22 PM »

I reckon these days the angle grinder must be the most widely used tool behind the humble power drill.

I see endless YT vids where guys are cutting shapes and even tight circles with them an marvel at what they can do.  Some of these people are very well equipped and I wonder WTF they don't have a plasma cutter for such  Jobs? i would be lost without mine.

I reckon the tiny little 4" grinders must out sell every other size about 10:1 but you are not really in the hunt with Grinders till you have a 9" with a 2000W Motor on the thing.  That lets you know you're alive.... but if you stuff up, may soon not be!  :0)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 12:13:12 AM »
I`m a big fan of angle grinders of all sizes but I tend to steer clear of the four inch 1 mm cutting disks, had a couple of near misses with them shattering and throwing shrapnel everywhere.

A Dremel is also a handy tool for fine work or confined spaces.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 12:36:31 AM »
The 125mm battery angle grinder with 80-grit flap disc is a very versatile carpentry tool.  I use it all the time.  I am sure Jesus would approve

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 07:26:38 AM »
I LOVE the 4" grinder, with flap wheel, grinding disc and slitting disc, the guys I worked with a few years back when I was messing about with Hovercraft used to refer to it as my 4" lathe.

Bob, you're right about the 1mm discs, you have to treat them with respect or they shrapnel in a big way, don't side load them and don't try to polish welds with them either. If you drop the grinder they shatter pretty easily too. Using a 1mm disc to chop through wood, when nothing else will fit in the available space, the smoke is amazing, ask me how I know.....

It would be nice to have a plasma cutter, but I can't, yet!, justify the expense of a big one and when I used a small one, some while back it's true, I wasn't very impressed.

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »

plamsa's seem to have a trick to them. I bought my Dad's one off him because he said it never worked right. Took it back to the suppliers, they reckoned it was fine and so did I.

I have cut steel, Aluminium, Copper, Tin and also wood and Plastic with the thing. You just need to clamp a steel bar along the cut line so the arc has something to go to through the material.  It's amazing how good a cut you can get on non metals.
The one I have will do 3/4 steel easily  and 1.5 with effort but it tends to pop the breakers if you use it flat out for long.  Not a problem in the shed any more  as i can plug it into the circuit that regularly has 3.5 Kw of solar running into it before it pills anything through the main breakers from the grid.

One thing I do like about the plasma is how Quiet it is. None of the screaming and screeching from a grinder or even a recip  saw.
that said, thery are a bit useless for cutting the turrets off cars. the metal is all one thin gauge but they put up to 8 layers foled and spaced through the Pillars which can be at least 5 Cm thick.  Plasmas can go through thick metal OK but don;t like air gaps between.  Recip saw on the other hand goes through with Frightening east and if you couldn't have a roof off a car in 5 Min flat you'd not be concentrating on the job.

I haven't used the thin disks much but I do like the 3?mm cutting disks, the grinding disks and the flap wheels.
When I sharpen the axe usualy a toos up between an old flap wheel and a file.
File I can get the thing a LOT sharper but the flap disk is a lot quicker On the  Mrs axe( Yes she has her own so che can leave mine the hell alone! When I take out some of the nail and stone Chips out the thing.

Those little Whiltshire files I got are great. Real English quality, still,  and cut so nice. Can't get the edge I can with a stone but then again, don't need or want it either.

I did have an axe years ago I cut the blade right back flat on then had it welded back with hard facing Wire.  Took a lot to grind the profile back even on an industrial Linisher and wasn't easy to sharpen but then again, it stayed sharp forever.  Wish I still had it.  Like my tool steel blade hunting knife that was made for me.  LOT of work went into that and I looked after it carefully. That thing was scary sharp but always amazes me how I can keep crap things for ever but my prized tools and things always disappear. Only stuff that ever goes missing is the good, hard to get gear.

I'm a lot of things but I am not careless and do not loose ship.   
Not to say other people don't permanently "borrow" it however.   >:(