Puppeteer

Author Topic: New Years Goals and achievements.  (Read 891 times)

glort

• View Profile
New Years Goals and achievements.
« on: December 25, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »

Not going to call them resolutions because that dooms most things to failure by mid Jan IMHO but interested to know if people have any ideas for what they would like to do or achieve in the new year?

My primary one is small but I see as a possible stepping stone.  I want to push myself to get back to doing my YT vids.
Haven't done one in 2 years. Tried a couple after a break mid way through 2015 due to a problem but just couldn't bring myself to putting on a happy face and trying to be funny... Not that I ever thought I really was but others seem to either laugh at me or with me so whatever.

I think doing some vids as silly and useless as it may be might be a good thing for me. apparently my physical health is OK according to the doc but my head is still messed up.  Perhaps doing some vids may be a first step in getting going to bigger and better things.
A saw that once you get 100K subscribers they send you out a " Play button" which is large medal like thing to mark the achievement.  I'd like to try and get one of those.

My son always said my YT vids were a waste of time and no one would watch them. He didn't believe me at the time when I said I had 20K Subscribers.  Then he was amazed when he saw I was right and it was picking up. Getting 100K award would be something for him to show him I could do something in the modern internet age.  I have 33K subs atm so I'm 1/3rd of the way there and even after 2 years I'm amazed at the amount of people that still send me messages asking if I am OK and when I am going to get back to vids.  been going to for a long time but I haven't had it in me. I think pushing myself with that might help achieve more.

The other thing I want to do is get my business going again proper.
Been procrastinating on that for about 3 years after I dropped it 3.5 years ago but hopefully if I can do the vids It will give me the focus I need to get back to the other as well.

I got my Pulleys and shaft adapters back from my brother in law today and also got a half decent car battery off dad so I'm going to set up my Off grid play solar setup again and probably wire that up to the diesel driven alternator(s).  Might be something I can broaden my YT content with as well but It will be difficult to try and be entertaining with that.

Anyone else had thoughts or made up their minds to do something they have been thinking of or wanting to do for a while?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: New Years Goals and achievements.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »
Merry Christmas Glort, hope you and your family had a good one. Glad you are going to do some more videos. I will certainly be signing up to watch them.

My new year plan is to lay the concrete floor for my CS generator, build the shed and complete the combined heating and power set up. Sorry it`s taking so long, a mixture of mental and physical problems in my case. Once it`s completed perhaps you would like to come and make a couple of videos showing it being commissioned to run on WVO. Might work out well for both of us, I could certainly do with spending some time with a funny guy.

Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
I hope Christmas was great for you guys. I ate too much drank too much and watched television, ugh! For the new year I intend to get back to walking every day and I got a snooker cue for Christmas so a little practice every week is on my list. I got the brake pipe flaring tool and diabetic socks as well as "Brut" aftershave. Very good Christmas so far and the way the wife is smiling at me so it might not be over yet!

Good health to you guys in 2019 and hopefully one dream each at least will come true however small or large!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 04:29:36 PM by Johndoh »
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

t19

• Administrator
  • Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 12:19:14 AM »
Merry Christmas all

Been Busy and not here much... I have been on and off my Listeroid a lot this year... she always works like a charm
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
Once it`s completed perhaps you would like to come and make a couple of videos showing it being commissioned to run on WVO.

yeah, that would be great! I hope you can detail the build as it would make a real interesting read.  I love that sort of stuff and thee is just not enough of it being done.

Might work out well for both of us, I could certainly do with spending some time with a funny guy.

Yeah me too!

You know any one that could give us a laugh?

I wish I could feel the way I do right now for the rest of the year.  All the adopted family just left and it really was a fantastic day.  So enjoyed their company and all the hard work I have done trying to get the place in shape was worth it. Definitely a Highlight to my year.

I got the brake pipe flaring tool and diabetic socks as well as "Brut" aftershave.

Hahaaa!
That made me laugh! See, my message to your good lady worked! ...... maybe yet better than I anticipated or had in mind!
Glad you got the socks and the flaring tool anyway.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 10:29:36 AM »
Congratulations Glort on what sound like an excellent day. Bikies aren`t generally a bad lot, I`ve known a few of them who spent most of their time trying to look tough while raising money for the local hospital or school.

I will certainly try to give details of the shed build once I get fit enough to tackle it. Might be asking for some advice from the guys regarding concrete, sound proofing and etc.

Do you want someone to laugh with or laugh at? Being out in the sticks I am surrounded by both types as well as a lot of idiots, junkies, drunks and criminals.

Very impressed with Johndoh`s Wife, an understanding of the need for both pipe flaring tools and diabetic socks. Shame she had such a bad cold when buying aftershave, I hope she gets well soon.  :laugh:

Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »
Thanks Glort et al. The smiles I were getting were sympathy because I'd necked most of the bottle of Beam and she knew I'd be sick today. There's always new year and if Brut is good enough for Henry Cooper.....
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 05:27:18 PM »
I hope to get a few things either finished, sold or given away.  But resolutions are about attainable objectives so let's suck it up.

1.  Do my daily stretches.

2.  Walk two miles a day - M. W. F.

3.  Transition from OMAD (One Meal A Day) to 5-2 intermittent fasting program once I hit the magic number; < 140.

4.  Get the Cooper back on the road.  Brakes by the end of January.

5.  Stop wasting so much time on the compu
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »

Last few Dyas I have been looking and thinking and added another goal to the list.
I want to do something with that Damn 'Roid.  Options range form get rid of the thing to Bolt it down as is and run it or get round after about 5 years of procrastination and finally balance the bastard.  I have been Spraying one flywheel for weeks  so I can attempt the gibb ket removal but I feel pretty condfident it was driven in with the indian master tool being a sledge.  Might just weld the thing to a lump of metal and pull it out that way.

Ultimately I'd like to get a real lister but yet to find anything. Bought a twin and gen head before Christmas last year but got gazumped by the butt wipe seller so was dissapointed at that and didn't want to look at listers for a while.

The thing for me seems to be the fleeting period I can get things done in the short time frame between the weather cooling down sufficiently to be able to do any meaningful work outside and the time my winter depression or whatever the hell it is sets in where I can barely get out the chair for a couple of months and don't care about a damn thing.  Want to try and have that and other issues fixed this year which is what doing the vids is largely about but well see what happens.

I did drag my play off grid panel setup out today. Forgot I'd cannibalized it for a few parts but I think I have what is missing still in my stock of Components I buy then loose interest in the project by the time they arrive from China.  Geez I have a LOT of boards, controllers and components sitting in the cupboard!  Main things Missing are a panel meter and a Pwm controller but I built them into another box so I can plug that into the inverter or UPS and use them as before just mounted on a different setup.

One thing I noticed is I don't have a spot to put this on the back verandah here.  Sure I can put it up the shed but I don't fancy walking up there every time I want a Cup of coffee and other than boiling the kettle and running a bar fridge, I don't know what to do with the power from the setup when I do get it done.

One thing I thought of, I have so many more panels I'll be able to throw at the thing this time I'll be able to run the inverter and UPS flat out and still not touch the battery capacity even in winter just from what the panels I can set up will provide.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »
Hi Glort, sounds like you have a seasonal adjustment disorder, it was very common in the UK during winter.
The treatment for this disorder was bright lights and ultra violet light during the evening.

There are still good Lister engines to be had, don`t give up. I searched for more than four years to find mine. and then couldn`t go get it because of my car accident. Wife had to drive up north of Brisbane to collect it for me, then I had to battle the injuries to try to make any progress with restoration. I know you can do this, stop being a tight ars* and just buy one. Dump the unbalanced piece of Indian sh1t you have if you don`t have the energy for it or strip it for spares.

Just a thought on your excess energy production, how about setting up a charging station for EV`s?

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
Hi Glort, sounds like you have a seasonal adjustment disorder, it was very common in the UK during winter.
The treatment for this disorder was bright lights and ultra violet light during the evening.

That is probably a factor bob although there is a lot more to it.  I tried taking loads of vitam D the last couple of years but it did not seem to prevent me going down the slippery slope. I'm a depressive sad sack at the best of times, winter just seems to get me worse even though i'm aware of it and try not to go there again.

There is an over ruling factor that can never be fixed or changed that I somehow need to learn to cope with. I thought it would be better by now but it's getting worse and more painful.  that said I made it through Christmas a  lot better than I expected but that was largely through denial but still not without tears and a lot of panic attacks when I did let my mind wander.

I know you can do this, stop being a tight ars* and just buy one.

For once, that isn't actually a factor.  Finding a 6 Hp which I want rather than a 3 within a reasonable distance has been the sticking point.  The Twin I bought last year was about 300Km away and $1500 and I was ok with that till the mongeral sold it out from under me. Maybe for the best, who knows?

Dump the unbalanced piece of Indian sh1t you have if you don`t have the energy for it or strip it for spares.
That's another factor that's NOT holding me back with price especially.  I can probably make money on the Century for what I paid for it and it will cover the majority of another purchase so the investment will likely be pretty low all things considered.

Just a thought on your excess energy production, how about setting up a charging station for EV`s?

I think that would be about the same as you doing one Bob.  I have yet to see an EV around here and by the time any from out of the area  got here, they would need another charge Time they got home!  :0)

Was eyeing off the new Ryobi electric  ride on in bunnings today. Supposed to be good for 2 acres so should handle my measly little 1 acre lot.  I usually do the back and front separate anyhow so should never be a problem.  I thought about converting a ride on to mains power but the cost of 150M 3 Phase cable and dragging that round would be the killer.  As usual, forklift and Golf cart motors can't be had here for the same bargain prices as they are in the states.

What was that plant you said your wife grows that she gets good money for? Might be a practical thing to throw this power at for a while.... least another 4 Months or so till the generation falls through the floor again.... But if I have a new Lister commissioned......  :0)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
Chin up Buddy, don`t spend summer dreading the winter, make hay and electricity while the sun shines. Where ever you live, it is summer somewhere and there is still no law against travel.

Just a thought, the green washed, the governments and the motor industry are all going to be pushing EV`s.
I wonder what they are going to do about providing charging stations for these vehicles. I have to conclude that there will be a huge pot of money somewhere to pay for this change to the world infrastructure. If you want to be very wealthy, now would be the right time to jump on that particular band wagon. With your experience of solar PV and other renewable fuels, you could probably get many millions from industry to set up charging stations up and down the Pacific highway. I would recommend the Elon Musk approach in which you spend the money of others rather than your own, if you ask him nicely he might even be an investor!  :laugh:

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »

I can see an income earner in my retirement being a Small table top Truck with a Hulking great Diesel Genny on the back going out and Charging Up EV's that have run out of power.  Matter of fact I see a whole fleet of the things.  Have to have something capeable of putting out about 50 Kw I reckon and have an exorbitan..... Minimum call out fee along with travel, out of hours and peak hour and power charge.  Call it $3-500.

We all know the aversion women have to spending 5 Min to fill vehicles with petrol, can you imagine how they are going to be with EV's?
Unload all their crap out the car when they come home, going to come back to plug in the car, forget/ don't worry/ they will do it tomorrow...... Stop in the middle of no where because they were just going to put it on charge when they got home and the thing said it still had  650 meters worth of charge left! 

And you just know that 94% of female customers will be repeat, loyal customers I will end up "working with" for years because they will never learn and after a while just get in the habit of ringing me when the thing runs flat.  I don't know how many times my own Mrs ran out of fuel. 
In the end I ripped the fuel sender out of the tank, bent the snot out of it so the thing still had a good 20L left when the light was flashing, the gauge was below empty and the little buzzer was going into melt down. Pnly then did I not get the " The car stopped for some reason" calls.
mates wife was exactly the damn same.  Kids had to walk part of the way to school at least once a week.  Told him what I had done and he begged me to do the same to his Mrs car. Hers was easier. Digital dash so I reprogrammed the fuel sensor calibration so the thing thought it had the fuel consumption of a 747 at take off power.  She used to complain how much fuel the car was using but never worked out she was only putting 2/3rds as mch fuel in when she did fill it up and NEVER ran out of fuel again.... Till he bought her a new car with an accurate fuel gauge.... Which of course she totally ignored ... till the thing stopped... again.

Can you imagine how these women  are going to go into orbit when they work out that Plugging the thing in for 2 Minutes like they used to stick the Bowser Nozzle into their old car only gives them a Few KM range and to get the thing full is going to take an hour?  Maybe I should get a bigger truck and put a nail and beauty salon on the back so they can have a pedicure and a facial while they are waiting to pass the time?  Maybe a bar that serves non alcoholic drinks... But I don't tell them that.  They would still have crashes on the way home because they THOUGHT they were pissed even though they were totally straight.

I'll contract to the NRMA and make a fortune!

To really seal the deal over any possible competitors, My trucks and generators will be powered by Clean , green , renewable Waste veg oil...... Just to keep the early sucker..... Adopters... whom are most likely to be environmentally concerned, happy.

The Musk approach...... Hmm, that would go something like when a Client called I would charge them a deposit, tell them i'd be there in 20 min and turn up 9 hours later citing " generation Hell" .  I'd have to sleep in the truck, set up a twitter account where I called boy scout leaders peados, Claimed I had funding secured to take the company Private.... which it would already be but anyway, and when people complained about not living up to my promised service times, i'd distract them with stories about the new trucks I was getting which would be so much faster and cheaper and show them the new flame thrower and surfboards I had for sale.

I could run up massive Debt, spend fortunes on new trucks and when the tax department came after me i'd show them I had never actually made a profit even though the company now was worth millions because I had taken deposits from all these people sitting by the side of the road I hadn't got to yet.

Most of all I'd give lavish press conferences and Product launches and tell wondrous storys of My vision for the future of emergency EV rescue where my trucks flew through the air on the backs of trained unicorns and reacharged their vehicle though the power of rainbows, sunshine and the unicorn Droppings.
I could cook the books till they were crisp and black to show the company was indeed profitable.... for one quarter anyway which would give me time to dream up other excuses and lay the blame on someone else when the next quarter I was bleeding red ink again.

Ah yes, it is indeed a thing to behold the Musk strategy of business and Bullshit.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 05:58:14 PM »
See.  It's a beautiful world after all. Thanks for reminding me.  Hey, how about you keeping your view and I'll keep mine.  Best wishes.

Happy Tuesday and beyond to you all.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245