Author Topic: Now for a bit of silliness, possibly purchasing a Chevy Volt....  (Read 1192 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Now for a bit of silliness, possibly purchasing a Chevy Volt....
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »
Attention span alert.  Attention span alert.  Attention span alert.

Back to the Volt.

How about going for a test ride and giving us a review?

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 10:33:48 PM »
Attention span alert.  Attention span alert.  Attention span alert.
What's a span alert? Something too wide?  ;D

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 12:07:19 AM »

Back to the Volt.

How about going for a test ride and giving us a review?

The test drive was pretty good, with both I-95 highway and fast back roads. Not much city stuff except by the dealer.

The Volt has good acceleration, but better than that, it's instant response at any speed is quite pleasing. It's quieter and more refined than most cars I rent. (I rent 1 or 2 different cars per week and know what I like)  I had to listen hard to know if the engine was running. Cornering is acceptable, responsive and flat, but it's clearly not a sports car.

Overall, a true pleasure to drive, although seat comfort on the LT (low end model) was not as good as today's typical rental Altima or Camry. However, the big drawback: it's a smaller car than I'd like. This might be my only car in my FL location for a while. It will be called upon to transport me, mama and big doggie, along with whatever we need to carry (from groceries to aircraft parts and maybe bags of concrete) . For that it's likely to be too small.

I'm still on the fence about it. I need the tax break. I need another vehicle. I really could use something a little larger and more capable.

I own a 4x4 pickup and don't care for SUV's. My preference is performance cars.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:11:12 AM by cujet »
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »
I keep hoping GM or somebody would make a mini-van with the Volt drive train, or maybe a full size van.  This just seems like a good way to go for what my driving needs are, I could do at least half my driving without needing to start the engine.
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »
My preference is performance cars.

You have mentioned this a couple of times. now. I'm getting the impression a Volt is not going to make you at all happy and perhaps what you are really looking for is someone to talk you out of buying one.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 04:53:06 AM »

You have mentioned this a couple of times. now. I'm getting the impression a Volt is not going to make you at all happy and perhaps what you are really looking for is someone to talk you out of buying one.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Why not just buy that Ferrari, I will certainly support you.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 11:39:03 AM »

My opinion of EV's is they are more marketing hype than anything else.
They are a great opportunity for the Auto makers to cash in on a new technology, really the only significant one they have had since they started, and make a shit ton of new sales they would not have before.

The green do gooders whom are always looking for a bandwagon to hitch a ride on are pushing it and gubbermints who see increased sales revenue and votes will back it too... at least for a while.

To me, EV's are going to cause far more problems than they solve.  I predict there will be the usual bun rush and then a regression back to IC's at least until they are outlawed as people discover the things aren't all they are cracked up to be and how little will actually change with them.

They are NOT going to reduce traffic congestion. your Journey to work won't be shorter or more pleasant just because the motive power of the vehicle you are in is different. Won't be easier to find a parking space, won't stop you having an accident and so it goes.  The much touted Horse hockey about " No tail Pipe" is also a delusion as well. Instead of using fossil fuel in the form of oil, you'll be using Fossil fuel in the form of coal for 80% of the worlds generation.

The hype is also far outstripping the time needed to transit to the new tech.  Ev's for the next 10 years at least will be more expensive than an IC counterpart, they will be far more limited in terms of range, towing capacity and recharging will take longer than refilling by a considerable amount even with the current  prototype  high voltage/ High amp chargers. 

The EV flag wavers are already shooting themselves in the foot by creating false high expectations. Ralking crap like charging the car off your own solar panels and no oil changes as if the things will never need servicing or cheaper to run when in many cases they simply will not be as cheap to run per mile as an IC car. They will still need Tyres replaced, systems checked and serviced and accident damage repaired...... and how long is that going to take when the majority of mechanics out there will have had no training whatsoever on an EV.

Here in Oz ATM there are a few states going through heat waves. there is a lot of talk amoungst the do gooders about people reducing power consumption  particularly avoiding using AC so as to avoid overloading our already precarious grid. WTF do they think people put it in for if not to use it on hot effing days? If they are worried about  3-5 Kw from air con, just wait till every second  or even 4th house has an ev trying to suck down even 10 Kw  for many hours of the day all year round.

There are going to be great quandrys when people are told not to charge EV's or they are put on trickle charge because demand on the grid has gone up 4 fold in the last 10 years through EV's alone and the grid has obviously not been able to keep up.
. It is currently in a highly weakened state thanks to all the green zealots wanting to bulldoze coal power stations before they had anything to make up the loss of generating ability. the soloution in more than one state has been to replace all those filthy coal burning power stations with.... banks of DIESEL generators... that can suck down a fuel tanker load of much more expensive fuel we have to import literally every hour.

Thank heavens we have these green geniuses and vote chasing gubbermints to steer us into a clean green future with solution's like this.
Maybe when there isn't enough power to go round and charge EV's they will bring in diesel generators for these cars without tail pipes? What a leap forward that would be over IC cars!

I'm not convinced the world will go to all EV's at least in the next 20 years. While they are all hype and excitement now, that will wear off, pretty quickly, just like every other fad .... Like biofuels.
Holding consumer interest for a long time is not going to be easy especially when the earlier owners start sharing their experiences and figure out it still takes them just as long to get to work every morning and having an EV changes very little about driving over all.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 06:36:28 AM »
Camry hybrid . . .

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 07:20:04 PM »
I am giving serious consideration to a Nissan Leaf, but I am NOT going to take the depreciation hit on a new one. They seem to lose value
at the rate of 15-16k the first year and less after that. Also it looks like Nissan is not standing behind the battery warranty very well, and the range drops off after a while, but still after all the cons, I think one would suit my daily commute very well.
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »
The Fiat 500E is a ugly duckling cute town car.  I know we were talking Volt but a year ago the used Fiats were down to $6K and now they're more like $8K.  Who else figured out they were more Bosch than Fiat.  To get into a fully charged car every morning is to many just a dream.  To ride in a car that is actually quiet is another dream.  To have a car that the interest on the loan is the most costly part of ownership is a dream. 

A turn around on going electric transportation would really be an interesting ride.  Face it.  China, the biggest player on the field is going electric.  While hydrogen energy storage has some very nice sides it's just, to quote Elon, "Stupid".  When we discover a cheap way to generate hydrogen then maybe.  Just maybe.

In just two years the EV world is going to explode.  I recommend buying your hearts desire and getting that troglodyte need out of your system understanding that soon, very soon, you're going to step up to a rocket ship disguised as a sleek SUV.  Just for jun and a peek at the future test drive a Model 3.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »

I decided not to purchase the Volt. (remember, I need an additional car, the tax break, and really anything will do)

What drove me to avoid the Volt was the FACT that it actually costs more (in my area) to fuel it with electricity than it does to power it with gasoline!

Local elec power is 20-22 cents per KWH, 13.5+ taxes, fees, fuel charges, line charges, hurricane charges etc. Plus the rate increases when more is used. All the way up to 17c/kwh + fees....

A Volt will go 53 city miles, about 45 mixed or 37 highway on a full charge, consuming 16.5 KWH from the car's battery. (unless ya go stupidly slow, which some EV drivers do, in which case, 70 miles is possible)

Charge efficiency is 83.8%, meaning the power meter will run up a full 20KWH to charge the Volt. Or $4 to $4.40.
Quite simply, 10 cents per mile on EV power.

The Volt gets almost 40MPG with a dead battery, using gasoline alone. Local gas is $2 to $2.20 per gal.
Or, 5 cents per mile.

Sure, local prices affect the outcome. But one thing is clear, running an EV along with AC (or heat) reduces range significantly.

So in the end, it was tempting to get what seems to be quite a good car, but it simply makes no sense to pay more per mile for the pleasure.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »
Face it.  China, the biggest player on the field is going electric.   

The small, short range EV is perfect for China, limiting their citizens to a small zone of travel. It's no wonder the Chinese government is pushing EV's so hard.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 03:16:14 PM »

What drove me to avoid the Volt was the FACT that it actually costs more (in my area) to fuel it with electricity than it does to power it with gasoline!

I and I think it was Bruce here worked this out some time back with another example.
The marketing is misleading. They quote cost to fill but ignore the fact the fill on an IC car while being more exy will take you 6-800Km while the fill on many current ev's will take you 1-200 KM.

I worked out with a Tesla even with teh much longer range ( and bigger battery pack) they cost more to run even here with our much higher petrol prices than a full size IC. They are very deceptive in actually showing a Mileage/ cost comparison but literally put in small print that the savings are taking into account their 400KWh initial bonus free charging.  Once that subsidized  charging is used up.....  well getting cheaper running costs than an IC would be greatly assisted if you worked at a power station lets say.

Charge efficiency is a good point I had not thought of.  Makes the EV case worse still.

My Nephew and Neighbour Both have Nissan NaVara Utes. Go very well and go an awful long way on a tank of diesel. For big heavy utes their economy is amazing by any standards.  Neighbours is 10 yo and still has the economy of a Moped. Another guy I know has an Isuzu ute in Diesel. Bought it to clean it up and sell it and now reckons they can put him in the back tray and bury him in the thing.  For a man that mush have owned 200 cars in his life, pretty high praise. Reckons He can get touch better economy out of that towing a car trailer than he can out of his wifes subaru with nothing more than the driver.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
EV drivers seem to be eternal optimists, often quoting range figures that are unhelpful, sometime there are no chargers when that range is reached.

The better Tesla cars seem to be able to go a predicted 250 highway miles at 80, with the AC on. Unfortunately, they end up charging far before that, due to charger location. A 400 mile trip typically requires 2 charge stops. Do-able, but not ideal.

Contrast that with the 2018 Nissan Altima that will get 36MPG high speed highway, and better than 600 mile range on a tank with plenty of reserve.

My friend gets 230 EV miles from his Tesla. 100 miles fewer than predicted, due to driving style. His "fuel" cost per mile is about double the Altima. I'm finding all of this fascinating, and I'm not at all sure the EV is the way to go.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »
Interesting analysis.  I learn so much on this site.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator