Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Now for a bit of silliness, possibly purchasing a Chevy Volt....

(1/7) > >>

cujet:
I'm in the market for a car. No particular need for anything special, other than I don't want to spend a lot for an appliance. (Note, I prefer performance cars, but this will be a third car for my Florida home) The $7500 EV (electric vehicle) tax credit would be really helpful this year. Since the Chevy Volt is now heavily discounted, at about $24,500-$25,500 for a base model, it's worth considering. The tax credit brings the total out of pocket cost to just under $20K. Not bad at all for an efficient car.

The Volt goes about 50 miles on a charge, and after that, the gas engine kicks in.

If I purchase one, it might be very interesting to see just how effective the 6/1 is in charging the thing.

Note 2: The 2018 Volt takes 13 hours to charge on 115V and 4.5 hours on 240 (the charger is 3.6KW) .   My 6/1 has somewhat increased RPM (770) and makes about 4400W max, 4000 with clear exhaust. HMMMMMMM :) So I think it would be just fine charging at 240V.

BruceM:
Great deal!

dieselspanner:
Sounds interesting at the very least.

Is there enough sun in Florida to make a Glort style array of second hand panels viable? Come to that is there a big enough market in second hand panels in the US?

With a bit of adjustment to the lifestyle, like going shopping in the evening etc. it could be well worth mixing it up with a veg oil powered CS.

Cheers
Stef

LowGear:
I'm not a new car kind of person but if I were I'd surely look hard at this deal.  I kind of prefer the 2016 model but they all seem a smart decision for this time in our history.  I wonder how much the extended warranty costs?

We should all set down and think about how many days 50 miles would cover our total driving needs for that day.  A second thing to remember is how many days we would only need a partial charge.  How much does it actually cost to plug it into your friendly power utility for a 50 mile ride?  15 Amps at 240 Volts is about 3600 Watts for 4.5 hours is close to 16,200 total.  In Seattle that would be $1.62 @ ten cents a kilowatt.  Does my math this morning match yours?

If you're using diesel to generate that recharge I think you should just buy an F-350 and spend the next ten years mainlining the petroleum industry with those 10 plus quart oil changes.

cujet:
I drive a lot.  My commute alone in FL is 75 mi round trip.  My commute in PA is 110 round trip.  I can’t charge an electric at work.  Generally 6 days week.  Plus the trip between FL and PA a few times per yeast. 

The volt could be charged by the Listeroid and my 550 gal of waste jet A while in FL.

Really, I’d love a performance car.  But this is interesting. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version