Author Topic: Now for a bit of silliness, possibly purchasing a Chevy Volt....  (Read 1194 times)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Now for a bit of silliness, possibly purchasing a Chevy Volt....
« on: December 24, 2018, 01:23:33 AM »
I'm in the market for a car. No particular need for anything special, other than I don't want to spend a lot for an appliance. (Note, I prefer performance cars, but this will be a third car for my Florida home) The $7500 EV (electric vehicle) tax credit would be really helpful this year. Since the Chevy Volt is now heavily discounted, at about $24,500-$25,500 for a base model, it's worth considering. The tax credit brings the total out of pocket cost to just under $20K. Not bad at all for an efficient car.

The Volt goes about 50 miles on a charge, and after that, the gas engine kicks in.

If I purchase one, it might be very interesting to see just how effective the 6/1 is in charging the thing.

Note 2: The 2018 Volt takes 13 hours to charge on 115V and 4.5 hours on 240 (the charger is 3.6KW) .   My 6/1 has somewhat increased RPM (770) and makes about 4400W max, 4000 with clear exhaust. HMMMMMMM :) So I think it would be just fine charging at 240V.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Now for a bit of silliness, possibly purchasing a Chevy Volt....
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 01:52:14 AM »
Great deal!

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
Sounds interesting at the very least.

Is there enough sun in Florida to make a Glort style array of second hand panels viable? Come to that is there a big enough market in second hand panels in the US?

With a bit of adjustment to the lifestyle, like going shopping in the evening etc. it could be well worth mixing it up with a veg oil powered CS.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
I'm not a new car kind of person but if I were I'd surely look hard at this deal.  I kind of prefer the 2016 model but they all seem a smart decision for this time in our history.  I wonder how much the extended warranty costs?

We should all set down and think about how many days 50 miles would cover our total driving needs for that day.  A second thing to remember is how many days we would only need a partial charge.  How much does it actually cost to plug it into your friendly power utility for a 50 mile ride?  15 Amps at 240 Volts is about 3600 Watts for 4.5 hours is close to 16,200 total.  In Seattle that would be $1.62 @ ten cents a kilowatt.  Does my math this morning match yours?

If you're using diesel to generate that recharge I think you should just buy an F-350 and spend the next ten years mainlining the petroleum industry with those 10 plus quart oil changes.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:38:41 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 10:18:09 PM »
I drive a lot.  My commute alone in FL is 75 mi round trip.  My commute in PA is 110 round trip.  I canít charge an electric at work.  Generally 6 days week.  Plus the trip between FL and PA a few times per yeast. 

The volt could be charged by the Listeroid and my 550 gal of waste jet A while in FL.

Really, Iíd love a performance car.  But this is interesting. 
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 11:14:16 PM »
spend the next ten years mainlining the petroleum industry with those 10 plus quart oil changes.

Seriously, what the hell is it with people and " Oil Changes" every time an IC to EV discussion comes Up?
Do people in the US change their oil every week or something?  It's made out like doing an oil change is some big deal and one of lifes great burdens.

Takes me 15 Min and I do it 4 Times a year, on 3 cars. Sometimes I do it on 2 cars at the same time and takes me 20 min to do both.
Never thought of it as any big deal or that not having to do it would be some burden lifted from my life.

In any case EV's DO need oil Changes. There is more than the engine that runs oil and electrics still use oil which has to be changed. May not be as often as engine oil but they still need maintenance like any machine.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 11:51:10 PM »

I looked on the GM website and the one thing I couldn't find was what size battery these things have.  Spose it doesn't matter but I was interested to see.
I drove a Prius around NZ for a couple of weeks recently. Interesting. It went better than  I thought it would go and was certainly economical. I think it was a couple of models old so I Imagine the later ones would be quicker and have better range. The battery pack in the one I drove was only 3  Kwh I think.  Certainly wouldn't take you far and the engine kicked in at 30 Kmh.

With your trips it sounds like the Volt may be of limited usefulness on the electric side.  Will you really want to come home and fire up a lister to charge the thing and then go back out and shut it down when it's done?

Mate of mine works for the Navy on sea King Choppers.  He gets the old fuel from those ( Jp2?) and runs his Common rail Isuzu ute on the stuff mixed with 20% Veg oil. Reckons it goes like a scaled cat. Been doing that about 3 years now.  If you have/ can get enough turbine Fuel maybe a Diesel might be an option for you.
I wonder if anyone has come up with a DC charger that can run off panels? If so maybe you could set up an array at your woprk for EV charging. you could play the green card to convince them and do the work so they can look green and progressive.  Even a small 3 Kw array would probably give you enough power for a good part of the year to get back home on electric power.

As for performance car, mate of mine in the states was building some go fast kit car and was going to put in some monster engine but has had a re think and was telling me about some company that do electric kits that you can put in different vehicles that cost less than a built engine and box he was going to use and the thing should be faster. Can't remember the name of the Company but might be an option for you. Don't know if you can order a new car in the states without a power train or if you could just pull it and sell it off if you were going to replace with an electric setup.

I do like the idea of an EV being charged with a Diesel engine though. Couple of zealots on greenwashed sites  I'd love to rub their noses in that! :0)

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
Just as a point of information the oil change in an F-350 really scares $150.  10 quarts I last heard.

It's a shame you don't have charging at both ends of your recurring commutes.  I wonder what the gasoline mileage is on the Volt?  A cheap 50 miles every day would catch up with you pretty fast.  $5 a day, $30 a week, $1,500 a year.  The world is also becoming much more EV friendly so who knows what your charging situation will be in two years. 

They've sold over 100,000 of them.

You might drive one to see how much of a slug it really is.  We'll want a review.

How much is a new Prius?  You might be very pleasantly surprised by the LE AWD.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 11:33:38 AM »
I have the answer, Cujet!

Buy two and charge them on the solar rig on alternate days!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 11:51:53 AM »
Just as a point of information the oil change in an F-350 really scares $150.  10 quarts I last heard.

I think that would be about the same as the weekly fuel bill in one of those.

I wonder what the gasoline mileage is on the Volt?  A cheap 50 miles every day would catch up with you pretty fast.  $5 a day, $30 a week, $1,500 a year.

Sounds OK till you say $1500 a year. Then it really doesn't sound that much. Maybe other people are better at budgeting than I am but I couldn't get my finances that tight to notice.  that said, I checked one of my solar inverters today.  it's programmed for what I pay in power and it has saved me $1500 in power this year  so if savings were the goal, there may be other ways to save money and have a car that is more desirable.

The world is also becoming much more EV friendly so who knows what your charging situation will be in two years. 

This is a valid Point.
There are a LOT of new models due to be released in the next 2 years so Charging points may take a big ramp up.  I would look into teh charging side more and see what the plans may be and if there are any brands that offer free charging points or what the deal might be.  I'd say in 3 Years there will be a lot more charge points than there are now. Wether one would be near Cujets work would be another thing.  Perhaps the employer may consider putting on a metered point so he could charge an EV and have the cost deducted from his wages  or one of the charge companies may look at installing a charge point near his work. If this is at an airport they may be interested.

They've sold over 100,000 of them.

They have also discontinued them. not sure if it's next year or 2020 but GM have pulled the plug on them..... Pun intended.

You might drive one to see how much of a slug it really is.  We'll want a review.

Might be OK as well.  The Pri arse I drove in NZ with 3 of us in it and loaded to the gunwales with our crap surprised me.  On the open road and up the Hills which is every 2 KM in NZ, I flogged the thing and it was still pulling surprisingly well  at 130 Kmh.  Certainly not like The twin Turbo merc that will pull you back in the seat harder the faster it goes but given the prius is an economy car, I wouldn't call it a slug and I have reasonable standards for that.

If the Volt goes as well, I think it would make a very adequate commuter.

How much is a new Prius?  You might be very pleasantly surprised by the LE AWD.

There are also a couple of Kias coming out that are  very decent from what I have read that are pure EV and have something like 300 Mile I think it was range.  They may not be as cheap as the Volt but they may be more practical for the OP's Needs. I wonder if the time would be to get a volt which is older generation and make do with it for however many years or wait and get something with better range.  the roll of the dice would be the cost of the new cars which may well come down a lot in the next 5 years making something bought now depreciate badly.

I was thinking that maybe a prius with some extra battery packs Loaded in the boot might be OK for the Mrs 120Km round day trip but I looked into it and found it's not as easy as just loading in more batteries.  The prius being as popular as it is has a lot of followers and tinkerers in the US so there may be something there that would allow an extra battery pack to be added in although I think with Pruis the electric range is still pretty short and the current models still only have a 7 KWh battery.

There is a guy on YT that got a Tesla floor pan with the batteries, made a trailer out of it and has it connected to the car so the thing has something like a 600 Mile range.  I'm sure in the future this is the kind of things we will see. Add in long range battery packs for touring/ holidays.
By the same token, Chargers will likley have to get more saturated and they are going to higher voltages and I saw a thing about 350KW chargers.

I still wonder though how a servo with 20 charge points which would be a lot less than the amount of pumps many big Highway places have here, are going to have sufficient connection to supply even 150 Kw  to each station.  Even if you ramp up the voltage and have a stepdown transformer on site,
The extra grid load is going to be fantastic.  Here they are already going on about peak load and the difficulties of coping with the draw on hot days from AC.  Imagine when everyone is on holidays and it's a hot day.  We are forecast to get over 40oC  ( that's 100F for the 3 remaining backward countries)  for the next  week  and that's a real busy time on the roads here with a LOT of people being on holidays.

Might get my genny ready anyway actually. They are already talking about load shedding which is a fancy Name for blackouts and I doubt there is a single EV within 20 Km of here.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 11:58:02 AM »
I have the answer, Cujet!

Buy two and charge them on the solar rig on alternate days!

Cheers
Stef

What about you tow one to work and then tow the other one back??   :laugh:
How about hitch them together and wire the controls together so the front one controlled the back?  Lot faster and you'd have a 10 Seat Vehicle!

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »
I think you can also get a pretty neat lightly used Corvette for about the same money.  What to do with all that jet fuel?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »
Why not find a 1963 Chrysler turbine engine car to burn that surplus jet fuel!
50 were made, Jay Leno has one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 08:04:52 PM »
HA!

Rover had it cracked in 1950.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_JET1

Then check out Youtube for umpteen videos.

We had Rover gas turbine fire pumps back in the 70's to discharge fresh water from 90' landing craft, they were hand crank start, two blokes, one either side, and it was as much as they could do to flash one up.

They could shift 10 tons ashore in a few minutes and empty a 5 gallon tank in about the same time....

Cheers
Stef

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 08:28:35 PM »
Ear protective gear required for the Rover Jet 1!  Awesome.