Author Topic: Hello Everyone, an other 6/1 owner  (Read 2900 times)

John (Boston)

• View Profile
Hello Everyone, an other 6/1 owner
« on: December 23, 2018, 06:12:55 PM »
Hello Everyone,

New member here…  First, I want to thank the wonderful people who have run this forum and those who have posted here, sharing their vast knowledge so unselfishly.  Sadly, many may have moved on by now.  I would never have been able to "build" my 6/1 without the many hours of reading (probably hundreds) here in these archives.  Pretty much everything one needs to know is right here.

I got my 6/1 about eight years ago (used).  It came with a bent rod (really good banana shape to it) and was a bugger to start because of it.  I've been all through the engine and the only thing that remains to fix is the idler clearance.  Next spring I will finally pour a 3 or 4000 pound block for it.  It's used for backup power.

-John (Boston)
Metro 6/1 (genset)
Cummins 6BT (89 Dodge truck, bought it new)
Cummins 4BT (91 Oshkosh bread truck)
Kubota D1005 (B2320 tractor)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Hello Everyone, an other 6/1 owner
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 08:41:34 PM »
Welcome, John

Glad you've stuck you head over the parapet, you're right there's been a lot of churn in the membership here, I personally suspect that it's the decline in the popularity of the CS's since the days of Utterpower etc.

However the the increase in posts concerning other Listers (and lots of other marques) keeps it interesting, even if, like me you know bugger all about them, the rest of the traffic  keeps me (mostly highly) amused.

Now your here join in!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 09:12:40 PM »
Welcome John of Boston
If you're thinking of your 6/1 as a back-up, there are other probably better and more modern options. No so fun and interesting though. My first listeroid led to a Dursley model. it is interesting to compare them. The listeroid is in daily service this time of year and the other beastie is  finally sitting on its block of concrete in my shop waiting for me to hook it up for shop power.
Stef.........days of Utterpower.......apparently George is still active. Just this morning got an email from him re a twin for sale.   https://www.utterpower.com/for-sale-twin-cylinder-power-line-engine-still-in-the-crate-3100-or-best-offer/
I though he was gone from the scene as well, but not so.
I do wonder about all of those regulars that populated this site 6 years ago and more. We learned lots by there expertise, and even more by their mistakes!
Merry Christmas to all.
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
Hi Hugh

Nice to know the wheel of fortune is still turning, maybe it'll go full circle and Rajkot iron will rule again!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »
Welcome  John,   please post on your progress with the installation.  The more solid mass you have it attached to the less pounding it will transmit to the surrounding area.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
Hi John,

Welcome !
Lots of info here. Keep us posted of your progress.
... And Videos Too !!  ;)

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

John (Boston)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
Thank You guys for the welcome!  Yes, I will post progress as this project goes along.  For now the Listeroid and an ST5 head are mounted to a fairly heavy steel base.  I had to keep it "portable" until I figured out where it was going to go.  Can't work on it right now - too cold, so it's on hold until spring.

It's actually fairly tame on the skid and most would leave it that way.  But I know it's not good for the engine.  I used to maintain three big single cylinder (double acting) air compressors which were mounted on proper foundations - smooth as silk.  When they were scrapped I saved the oldest one (1919).  It has about a four foot flywheel and around a twelve inch piston if memory is right.

Yeah, the Listeroid is way overkill for a backup generator...  I have a couple of old light plants but parts are tough to find so I started to look into a modern gen.  I didn't like the way they were made - compared to the old light plants (Kohler and Fairbanks-Morse) the modern stuff was just junk.   A lot of reading led me to George's website - and that was the end of it.  No modern gen would do now.

So I set out to buy a 6/1 right about when the ban went in.  I called around and no one had anything for sale.  I eventually came across the number of an Amish guy who had a used one for sale - bought it.

I do have a video of a little test run - I'll find the link and post it.

Thanks again guys!  Glad to be a part of the group...

-John (Boston)

Metro 6/1 (genset)
Cummins 6BT (89 Dodge truck, bought it new)
Cummins 4BT (91 Oshkosh bread truck)
Kubota D1005 (B2320 tractor)

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 07:27:13 PM »
Welcome! I too searched for a 'roid for a long time and finally found one about 550 miles away 4 or 5 years ago. And it's still not running.
It was supposed to be new, and I suppose it is in view of run time, but I think it has sat out in the weather for a while, and I will have to de-rust the internals.  I don't seem to be as motivated as I used to be....
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 08:59:39 AM »
Hi Vdubnut62, we are none of us as young or motivated as we once were, next time the electric bill arrives think about what it

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »
Sorry Vdubnut, what I was trying to say before the internet went tits up was: next time you get the electric bill think about how nice it would be not to get one. I`m sure you can think of much better things to do with your money than give it to generating companies and government f*ckwits. Find some motivation and get back to work.  :laugh:

Bob

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
Ah, yes I do need to get up and moving, lately I have just had a lot more interest in things that go bang instead of chug chug. 
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 11:33:02 PM »
Hi Vdubnut, I think it is important to have both guns and diesel generators when the sh1t hits the fan, which it probably will considering the bunch of idiots running our world.

Bob