Puppeteer

Author Topic: Before it's all over.....  (Read 1955 times)

Johndoh

• View Profile
Re: Before it's all over.....
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
It's 9.45 pm in Ireland and 11c it should be less than 5c
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »
Globull warming and environmental issues are all about Profit and revenue. You won't see a single initiative by big biz or gubbermints that don't make them money in some way.
Greatest cash cow of all time.  Ride on the back of a noble cause the sheeple are all brainwashed to believe and won't argue with and you have it made.

One of my favorite scams is "green" electricity.  It's supposedly generated from renewable sources. Oddly enough, there are no second sets of power lines, it comes on the same lines all the other power does.  You pay extra for it (of Course) but somehow you get the green power and the guy next door gets the dirty, filthy coal generated power......   ::)
Biggest worry with all this is that people fall for it and are that damn stupid to swallow this crap.

Generating my own "Green" renewable, clean power from all my used panels is against regulations though on a bunch of levels.
The main one being they aren't making any profit out of it.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
It's 9.45 pm in Ireland and 11c it should be less than 5c

Got to be happy with that!
 No one likes the cold and all the trees and plants do so much better when it's warm rather than freezing and that's a great thing for the environment.
Make the most of it, Probably won't be long and we'll be seeing reports of Europe being Frozen under 30 Ft of snow like last year or the year before whenever it was.
People probably be pretty happy to get a bit of warming then!

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
35 degrees, here i  Gosford today. Must be Global warming.  Nope, just summer.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
A very comfortable 32 degrees here today, night time temperatures around 17 degrees. I am not a believer in the government/business sponsored BS about global warming. The planet has been warming up since the last ice age, presumably it will start to cool down as we go into the next one (this has been going on since before mankind). My guess is that the same bunch of lame politicians will then try to blame me for Global Cooling and jack up my taxes again to combat it. Wonder if I will be able to claim back the money we paid to combat Global Warming?

Bob

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
The biggest problem seems to be the rate at which it is warming it appears to be occuring over a period of hundreds of years rather than thousands. The ability of us to breed grain crops and other food sources to may be a bit of a problem. Many of the glaciers are a form of water storage. Most of them are in inaccesible places not conducive to building dams and we don't seem to have a solution for that at the moment. Probably the most dramatic has been the Muir glacier in Alaska where  more than 200 ft thick ice has retreated approximately 50 km. That is a lot of water that is no longer stored.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »
But is that a bad thing?  You could say that a lot of water has released for use, land released for use? Im no climate scientist but does it have to mean doom  and disaster? Some areas may become less appealing or less usefull, but other areas once uninhabitable will become habitable and useful. Humans are a very adaptable species, the climate has changed multiple times over the period humans have been on the planet.
Id be more worried about overpopulation which in essence is really causing the issues. But nobody wants to tackle that because its not PC. If you really want to talk about long term sustainability, then its something that will eventually need to be looked at.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »
+1, Basewindow. We need to tackle over population, if we don`t nature will!

Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2018, 11:38:37 PM »
I use "green" electricity. Yes it's a little more expensive and yes it comes through the same wires however it's generated with wind and by burning willow. Every person that uses green electricity means there is a little less oil or coal burnt. Thats how it is supposed to work. The people that are "going on" about climate change aren't big businesses and governments they currently don't give a stuff and only do token things to try to look good. It's ordinary people, people that want there to be a useable planet here for their children and grandchildren. It does matter a lot if the ice caps melt, most people now live in large urban centres ie towns and cities. These are usually located near large rivers or close to the oceans. That's where the most arable land is as well as well. Raise the oceans a foot (remember the planet has much more water than land) and we will be overrun with King Canute types fleeing to higher ground, ground which is less arable and has less useable water. The ground is already warmer this makes the moisture evaporate and fall as rain in the middle of the oceans at the same time it makes the soil less useful for growing stuff. We can't feed, or choose not to feed everyone on the planet now. Imagine the oceans rising displaces 1/7 of the planes population that's over a billion people.
Many of the immigrants trying to get into America are going there because for the third year in a row the rain didn't come and their crops failed. It's already started and we really have only a short time to fix things. If we don't we are condemning our descendants to a life of misery poverty and want. Their descendants are likely to be nuclear survivors moving from oasis to oasis on camels!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
I agree with you and admire your small contribution to the solution.

The trouble is that nearly every government on earth has racked up huge debt, the only way to service these debts is by increasing population and per capita consumption/expenditure.

Here in Australia the government has actually posted a budget surplus for the first time in decades. Their primary income comes from the mining and export of fossil fuels and metal ores. Can`t see the politicians voting to kill off that golden goose any time soon.

When fire, flood and famine become the norm they may start to pay attention.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2018, 01:13:31 AM »
The US military is planning on global breakdown of society as people starve from climate change.  You think lower middle class Americans are angry and irrational now from being squeezed dry, just wait.

The concern raised by serous scientists is that as Johdoh suggests, food and water supplies will be threatened and we can't move a billion people, and people get pretty angry and irrational when starving.  In the US we have been growing food and low value crops like short staple cotton on 2000 year old ground water tables that will be depleted soon enough.  The hominid primate is not capable of controlling his own population- and few realists think our present population is sustainable.

The climate scientists are concerned about unknown environmental tipping points that speed up the process.  Glacier ice melt rates are going much faster than predicted and thus they are calling for immediate action. 

The Petro corps. have spent a lot of money on disinformation campaigns to continue to maximize their profits per their charters, and they may have cost our great grandkids dearly. 

Somehow we have to find a way to stop with the wars, and turn our "democracies" into more than corporate funded puppets. I sure don't have a clue how that might happen.  Money seems to always find a way around.  I don't know how public funded elections have worked out elsewhere, but that might be a start.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »

Christmas is already all over. Goes so fast!

Happy New year to one and all.
I hope you each have a healthy, fun, content and safe 12months and beyond ahead and it is a good year, devoid of any sadness or pain and filled with good times and great memories.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »
There is a really bad television show in the UK called the Jeremy Kyle show, women seem to watch it as people humiliate themselves with lie detector tests and DNA tests etc. My wife was talking about one show where a white married couple were on and the wife had given birth to a brown baby. The wife was insisting that the husband was the father saying he looked like the child and she wasn't cheating. Of course science in the form of a DNA test proved she wasn't being truthful, the husband was  in denial saying he was the father.
My point? The evidence was in front of the husband but he didn't want to believe his eyes and chose to believe the denials of reality from the wife. The family member that was saying "stop, this isn't right" was scorned and derided.
As a climate change analogy it's not great but that's what's happening. I'm betting that husband continued to be "daddy" continued to believe the wife continued to deny what he could see.
I know my last post was a bit doom and gloom but I do have hope for the future. I been reading about people in Ireland objecting to solar farms in Ireland one objection being there's no way to store the electricity. Why not treat solar power the way we are treating the planet and just use it as it's generated and wind down the power plants during periods when solar is generating even on a micro level it would help I believe. I rent this house the landlord has looked into solar panels for heating water but he's not interested in jumping through planning department hoops.. I can't legally install a wind turbine larger than a bicycle wheel without planning permission, permission I'm not likely to get. I am sure there is switching technology available that would make the power switching seamless. I also want a hydrogen powered car!

Happy new year gentlemen

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
I've done my bit for overpopulation had my vasectomy forty years ago.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »
So many more believers than there was ten years ago.  No significant ice on the fish pond in forty years woke me up about 20 years ago.  I can remember watching my 200 pound father skating on it in 1951.

I think few people don't realize that sustainable power generation is the future.  Why does anyone continue to support unsustainable anything?  What part of unsustainable don't they get? 

When you reduce usable land by 10% and increase population by 10% how much have you really changed opportunities?  This century is going to be a wild and crazy ride.  Is Bangladesh the future of human existence?  Ocean front is now a property liability.  Countries already have two land mass measurements - Tide In vs Tide Out.

Just how crazy is it?  glort just left a positive hopeful post.  Yikes!  Yup, continental flooding is just around the corner.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245