Puppeteer

Author Topic: Alrighty - WITH the link this time - the "LEGTROFLATER"  (Read 1820 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Alrighty - WITH the link this time - the "LEGTROFLATER"
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1878284770 

Here's one out of the box - check it out

I would guess some poor chap has bought this figuring it'll run his house "of grid" and then gotten disillusioned with the project maybe?

Check out the chain drive!

Someone has spent a chunk of time & money on this at some point - possibly around 1940 for the original build, then later with a stainless tank etc

It seems to have something called an (Admiralty Patented) Dial Slow Motion Quick Wave Changer

The area it comes from is one of NZ's remotest parts and I suspect this may have been a "state of the art" lighting plant and a big step forward from the kerosene lanterns for some family living several days' horseback travel from the nearest civilisation "back in the day"

Maybe the "LEGTROFLATER" Black & Decker bit was 220 VDC - an output of 2.75A - and the Dial Slow Motion thingie made AC?

Possibly more use in our Museum of Transport & Technology than in actual use; but what an interesting slice of history

Possibly a little over-priced
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:16:45 AM by mikenash »

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: the "LEGTROFLATER"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:03:42 PM »
Looks like you missed the link off, Mike.

However I searched LEGTROFLATER and got the closest to a Google wack I've had in years.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: the "LEGTROFLATER"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Alrighty - WITH the link this time - the "LEGTROFLATER"
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:43:10 AM »
It's hard to see from photos but it might have a DC bit and a DC/AC bit & I wondered if they needed to be synchronized - hence the chain, maybe?