Puppeteer

Author Topic: Good News 2018  (Read 4005 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Good News 2018
« on: December 13, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
I was shifting through the posts this morning and have continued to notice this is not a "Good News" kind of place for the most part.  We're sowing up 2018 and thought some of us might want to reflect on outcomes that were pleasing for the year.

My swimming pond continues to spring forth with life.  I didn't know so much algae could grown in a single spot.  I'm thinking my new handle might be "The Old Fart From the Green Lagoon." 

Last month was the lowest electrical bill We've had since we moved here 20 years ago.  Solar does pay back and then just keeps giving.

Our volunteers on the farm seem to just keep getting better.  Perhaps our recruiting message is better tuned.  I'm still flabbergasted how many strangers will help you get along in this life.

What are the good things that have happened in your year 2018?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Good News 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 08:54:31 PM »
Personally, and its probably to do with my 'sunny disposition' I rather like the tone of the forum, but I do see where you're coming from LG

In 2018 I..........

Got my 1980 SWB Landy running right with a 200 TDI from a Disco, ran it on WVO and last week the French registration came through. FC 070 GB.

I knocked up a two car carport, with an integeral garden shed that has freed up space in the workshop.

I made a hydraulic tipping trailer from a load of scrounged up bits.

I got given a Hartridge injector tester that was bunged up solid after 20 years in a shed, took a whole morning to sort it out. (and the injectors I rebuilt for the Landy tested out ok)

For £25 I fixed a tracked snow blower that was destined for the tip, it's snowing as I type, but I don't think we'll get enough to test it this week.

I've also been lent a Myford lathe - hopefully my mate won't need it in the near future.

I'm waiting on the return of the flywheel to continue with the electric start for the CS

As well as having our most lucrative summer in the last 7 years with the B&B.

Once it snow properly the resort 10 K up the road will open and I can start using my seasons pass.

And the other half still appears to like me!

Seasons greetings one and all.

Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:22:11 AM »
I made it to 60 a few days ago.  Never thought I would get there.  Next target 70

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
Yo Stef;  No more screwing off next year.   ;)   

Mr glort;  Good news is kind of different than a lack of horrific news. 

Congratulations dax021;  I start the fourth quarter of the game next month.  Had I been ten seconds later to the toilet this morning it would have taken more than paperwork to get out of the bathroom.  Already some good news and I haven't escaped my pajamas yet.  We're all somewhat on the same train just some of us got an earlier start.  So the Adventures continue except the focus changes just a bit.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:09:30 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
the Adventures continue except the focus changes just a bit.

Yes indeedy.  2018 has been a bastard of a year but one of life's certainties is that some time in the future I will look back with fondness at some of 2018's events - don't know if that's good or bad?  I think it's probably good

Good luck & best wishes to all of you - regardless of where we are on the journey  :)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
No rest for the wicked, LG

Just to finish December off I'm fitting a Yanmar single diesel into  (on to?) another snowblower.

Another mate up here bought it brand new and put the oil in it, like wot the lable said, on the return run up his 100 meter drive the sump plug, which the willy Chinese hadn't tightened dropped out, 20 meters after that the big end locked up and then one of the bolts let go.

The Loncin snowblower motors have a crank shaft take off that's different - longer - than any other and no one anywhere in Europe imports them as complete motors or spares. It's shame 'cos opened up it's a nicely made bit of kit but as the crank is scored and the big end doesn't have a bearing as such, there's little else that can be done.

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »
2018's been a bit of an odd year for me. In many respects, it's been Just Another Year. I changed jobs in March which has nearly doubled my income, which is nice (and desperately needed) but I'm still (for the time being) on the run from the tax man....

On the lighter side of the news, my Chinese wife passed her English test earlier this month, so now we're looking forward to the paperchase that is dealing with the UK immigration authorities, and if that goes well she'll actually be allowed into the country by around April next year! So there's that to look forward to :)

Meantime, I continue to try to keep the spammers out, and wrestle with the never-ending e-mail problems this (and another - it's not all our fault!) forum seem to generate... I think only one bad guy got through so far?

Happy Christmas all!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:45:33 PM »
Your efforts are appreciated, Ade, thanks.  This odd forum seems to be much more than just a place to talk about engines

Good luck with the Immigration Turkeys - I suspect their wheels grind pretty slowly

guest23837

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 08:46:41 PM »
This year was a bit mixed hoping next year will be a little better. To make next year better I plan on having loads more sex than I did this year, this will come as a surprise to the wife.

guest23837

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 11:48:42 PM »
this will come as a surprise to the wife.

Spose  an amount of that surprise will depend on whether you plan her to be involved or not?   :o

Touche

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »
No rest for the wicked, LG

Just to finish December off I'm fitting a Yanmar single diesel into  (on to?) another snowblower.

Another mate up here bought it brand new and put the oil in it, like wot the lable said, on the return run up his 100 meter drive the sump plug, which the willy Chinese hadn't tightened dropped out, 20 meters after that the big end locked up and then one of the bolts let go.

The Loncin snowblower motors have a crank shaft take off that's different - longer - than any other and no one anywhere in Europe imports them as complete motors or spares. It's shame 'cos opened up it's a nicely made bit of kit but as the crank is scored and the big end doesn't have a bearing as such, there's little else that can be done.

Cheers
Stef

Well...... you could have the crank undersized and cut some off the rod cap and rebore it to fit the crank. I would give it a try I think.

On the happenings of the year, I can't remember a funeral this year either. Thanks Glort for bringing that to mind!!
    My Daughter and her Fiance sent the wife and I on a cruise to the Bahamas, and now firsthand I realize just how spoiled and fortunate (or is it privileged? ) that most of us here in the States are.

Merry Christmas and a very happy and prosperous New Year to all.

Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »
Wow!  I forgot about discouvering my dual citizenship status.  My father was was born in Canada.  Canada automatically awards Canadian citizenship to most all children of people that were born in Canada.  Let's hope my good news for 2019 is receiving my Certificate of Citizenship for Canada.  I'll have to say that so far I've found the Provence of Alberta bureaucracy to be most excellent - Ah.

Here's my first New Years Resolution.  To finish my Canadian paperwork by March 1st. 

Here's my second New Years Resolution.  To start weighing in consistently below 140 pounds (63.5 kg).

Hey glort.  See how good "Good News" can be.  It makes you thirst for more good news next year. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
Hi 'nut62

Not a bad idea. The oil thrower is (was) cast onto the big end cap and is now in three bits but I'm sure it's possible to overcome that, ditto for the mullered bolt holes in the rod it's self. The biggest problem here is the lack of machining facilities.

After the thick edge of 8 years I've only found one decent local machinist, he's 5 miles down the hill, however, he's not really interested in little one off jobs. I had a connection piece (from the crank end of a small motor) bored out from 3/4" to 20mm, by 60 mm deep, it took 3 weeks and cost €40. In the UK I could turn up at several machine shops with fish and chips for me and the machinist and get it done in the lunch break, with a cup of tea thrown in - provided I made the tea.

The re machining of my CS crank and the boring of an undersized Indian bearing to suit was $240, had to be sent Lord knows where by the local tractor shop and took 2 months........

What might be worth a try, after cutting down the cap and the rod mating faces, is a home brewed repair as described by 'Starfire'  a while back. Always assuming that which works on a slow revving CS will serve for a petrol screamer!

Cheers
Stef

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
Corporate Lowes shipped snowblowers to the Kona store about ten years ago.  People were taking selfies on it.

Wait a minute.  Are you guys on the right thread?  Snowblower.

Cheers,
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator