Author Topic: And the rip off of the day award goes to.....  (Read 528 times)

glort

• View Profile
And the rip off of the day award goes to.....
« on: December 11, 2018, 01:48:30 AM »

My beloved little Honda mower Failed to start last week. 35 years old and I love this thing. Twin Cylinder water cooled engine Purrs like a Kitten.
Couldn't get it to turn over. Diagnosed the starter motor.  Had to pull the engine out to get to it because the bolts holding it in are behind the flywheel. Not impressive but anyway, wasn't the worst job I have ever done although connecting a few things back up may bring about a few blue words.

Starter has gone though one brush although the other is fine.  Can get starters from teh US for about  $60 plus the usual bullshit postage of over $120 US sellers insult people with. It's just a small sized run of the mill japanese ( Nippondenso) starter motor.

Not available here after market so I was directed to 2 Honda dealers and asked about the starter and the cam belt I figure I may as well do while its all out.

Price for this starter was the same from both dealers who seemed rightfully embarrassed to tell me the price of.......

$1006.00      :o :o :o

YA! tell me that is not a complete and utter blatant ripoff!
I told the first guy, I think you have the wrong one, I'm after the starter for a Honda lawn mower not a Rolls Royce Mulsane Turbo!!

Ex mechanic neighbour last week put me onto a local place that does Auto electrical reconditioning of starters and Alts etc.  Told me about this old guy who knew everything and go see him.  So I went round straight from first stealer and found him in this non descript old building literally the last place before you leave town.
I knew I had the right joint when this guy came out that was old about 40 years ago and is now completely ancient! A very shrunken hunched over old fella that despite his highly advanced years obviously still gets out of bed every morning and comes to work.  Should have the guy doing talks to dole bludgers to put some shame in them!

Looks like his son works with him, a man of retirement age himself that looks like a poster boy for an ad for automotive servicing from the "50's.
Both VERY nice fellas and the sort of rare people in the automotive industry that you walk away from feeling supremely confident that they know what they are doing AND will charge a fair price.

They were a little worried the commutator may be a bit thin but are going to look at it and get back to me. Said making up a new set of brushes would be no problem and I get the feeling they would probably be able to look at them and know a '48 Allis Chalmers tractor took the same size brushes that would fit straight in....  and they have 3 sets in stock!

Lets face it, they could not even begin to think to rip me off as much as Honda want to for $1006.00 for this tiny little starter motor.

Anyone else been touched up with some BS pricing on something of late?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: And the rip off of the day award goes to.....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 02:17:34 AM »
Doesn`t surprise me one bit. The franchise system here in Australia is designed to drive prices for spare parts through the roof. I remember going to the local Lister dealer and being quoted $500 plus delivery for an oil pump plunger. A piece of toughened 5/8" steel less than 3" long, I ordered some silver steel and made one myself for about $15. If it ever fails I have enough steel left to make three more.

Hope you ancient mechanic can fix it for you. I`ve fitted pull string starters to a lot of mowers when the starters have failed, doubt you could hand start a twin.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 02:33:11 AM »

And speaking of Ripoffs.....

Just found the same starter on Ebay Canada,  Starter about $75, Postage, $38.
Last time I looked on a map Canada looked further from Oz than the US by a touch so why would the postage be 3X the price.
Another rip off.

If the old fellas can't fix the starter I have, I know where I'll be getting one from. 2 week delivery. Probably 3 being this time of year.

Forgot to mention, the $1006 starter was going to take 6-8 weeks to get here, IE, would arrive when summer was over.
Grass may be a tad tall by then.

This thing would be hard to start any other way. It drives from both sides of the engine.  The flywheel side has a rubber coupling that goes to a driveshaft for the diff, the other side has a clutch that turns the belt for the cutter deck.
If worst came to worst, with a lot of mucking around I -May- be able to fit the 12 HP Ruggerini Diesel I have.  Other thing would be sing the drive shaft is permanently connected, Put a small flywheel/ ring gear on that and use a car starter.  Stupid me never thought to try and Clutch start the thing. I have a sloping drive way that would probably give me the run up I needed.  Be touchy as the brake and clutch are on the same pedal but probably work out a way.

I was also just looking up oil filters.  Best price I can get is $48.  Looked up and cross matched all the different brands, would not believe it..... Same as Subaru. have 2-3 in the shed for the wife and daughters car.  Cost about $12 ea genuine.
Cam belt for $90 is a bit stiff, I can buy one for a Suby cheaper than that but I might look at the canada fleabay for that while I'm at it.

May as well look for another mower to get me by in the mean time and then just clean it up and sell it off when the other is back together.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 04:52:41 AM »

Not 3 hours later and they ring me, come and get it.
$90.  Working like a new one.

Now just to put it all back together.

Cam belt I had another look at . it's not cracked and can still see the writing on the thing so I think I'll put it back and then get the belt and do it in winter.
Some year.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 04:54:16 AM »
Ebay has it`s uses, I need a new 25 micro farad capacitor for a mate`s generator. Local electrical suppliers want $30 and I have to make a 100 km round trip to go and get it. Identical item, from China, $4 including delivery.

Which one would you chose?

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »
I was helping a disabled lady with her 1999 Toyota Rav4 last weekend.  Needs a new shift control solenoid that keeps you from moving the shifter from park unless the brake is on. No aftermarket parts available and the Toyota price is $400 !  Since it only sticks in very cold weather I removed the cap and showed her the manual override button.  If it totally fails I'll just remove the damn thing. 

Kubota tractor prices are also bordering on criminal.  I've to make a fair number of new parts and new bushings, and do some plastic repairs. 

We live in the disposable era.   

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »
Sadly BruceM as things become more disposable there is no requirement for spare parts or the people with the skills and knowledge to fit them. We will be consigned to history and "progress" will continue unabated until the all the world is owned and controlled by a few greedy individuals who have no regard for their fellow humans or the planet.

I have very grave concerns for future generations, how are they going to earn a living when everything is made by robots in totally automated factories? Where are they going to live and what are they going to eat when everything is owned by government or big corporations? How are they going to fight back when the only skill they have is using a smart phone, via a communication system owned and controlled by the same greedy corporations and government?

Getting old is beginning to look like a blessing, at least I have had an interesting and fulfilling life, doubt I could survive in the future, struggling with the present, I guess that`s why we are all taking anti-depressants.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 09:04:47 AM »
Depressing?

Bob, you're looking down the wrong end of the telescope me old china!

We're living in a target rich environment and it's only getting better, whilst we are getting older, slower and considerably more cantankerous (had to check that with the auto spell!) we are the last of the line and as such are a diminishing resource.

Remember the late '80's when computer designers and programmers were on the scrap heap, burnt out at 30? It's not going to happen to us, witness the blokes that fixed Glorts starter.

We can still survive (and prosper, more to the point) with technology the Victorians would understand, can't see any reason to get the blues, adjust your attitude forthwith!!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »

Which one would you chose?

Welllllll......
Following the do gooder mentality of people being put out of jobs, I'd buy  the one from the local guy..... Who got it from a supplier that imported them from China and put his mark up on them then sold them to the local guy who put his Markup on that.
Makes perfect sense!

If it totally fails I'll just remove the damn thing. 

Don't even get me started on these protecting idiots from themselves Devices.  More things to go wrong, as evidenced, and make more money repairing/ replacing while covering the manufacturers Butts.

Fuel pumps in cars amuse me.  They are essentialy on regular cars one of about 5 designs/ sizes, mainly 3.
I replaced one years ago for my uncle.  Toyota Camry, $900.  Looked it up, Cross referenced it, same as a Bosch 044 with lower specs.  Had one up the back from a local GM car, put it in, no worries.  $80.

Did the same thing for another bloke with a range rover. 3 fuel pumps in the things. Lift pump in the tank had never worked from new we discovered later.  That one was $1900!!  Look it up, it IS a bosch 044.  Got a brand new one $180, perfect.

They are fast getting away from this sort of thing now with canbus.  Guy was telling me a while back that they are putting chips in EVERYTHING on vehicles  even down to headlights and tail lights and sure, you can swap a part, get a used one and fit it yourself but it won't work untill you take it back to the stealer who will either slug you a hefty fee with BS about having to test and make sure the thing is " safe" or will flat out refuse to activate the thing in teh computer because they can't know where it came from and it's real condition.
Not Just Mercs and Benz's doing this, Ford, toyota, Subaru and other everyday models are working towards it.
Just wait till the electrics with all their computerisation arrive en masse.

I was reading the green washed moron forum today and there was a discussion about how to reduce your carbon footprint.
So many usualy far fetched and impractical things suggested. Again, as I always say, things that don't make anyone money are ignored and here we have touched on it yet again.

Instead of making everything impractical or impossible to repair, how about building it like the old days and designing it to last and be repairable when it does break down in 15 years.

Dunno if anyone else has noticed but You see a lot of old stuff still going but you never see 10-15 yo appliances/ electrical tools/ equipment etc.
There is the gap with things that were built in the era when long life and repair-ability was the goal and then there is the time after that where everything became throw away.  People talk about emissions and saving the planet and not buying bottled water and re using shopping bags and so it goes but the big things that would make a difference with the energy and resources invested in them are made disposable and often non recyclable in a lot of cases.

The guilt trip is always put on the little guy and the do gooders say don't buy this and don't buy that.... Yeah? You try buying things that aren't overpackaged for one thing, it's freaking impossible! And while we worry about single use shopping bags, there is enough plastic in the blister packaging  for 3 Box cutters or a roll of Pipe thread tape to make 10 single use bags... at least!

The good stuff people throw out these days amazes me.  I have picked up loads of lawnmowers from the side of the road that needed no more than the points cleaned or the main jet in the carby blown out. I have picked up several that were obviously re conditioned not too long back and were in excellent condition.  I picked a beautiful High amp battery charger out of a scrap bin.  took it home, didn't work, pulled the cover off, blown  diode.
Put in a sub $1 bridge rectifier, bingo! it was a pretty old school unit and very well built. Since put in a little board tapped off the main circuit so it's now an auto/ float charger.  With a real 30A , it was a bit east to forget it and have batteries hot was water bottles when you came back the next day.   :embarassed:

I can't even get camera LENSES fixed any more. The computer circuit board in them isn't available any more. OK, thing is 15 years old but optically and mechanically, perfect.  Can I use it as a manual focus lens?  No, camera will just throw error codes. Also wont activate the aperture.
Ya!
Repair guy asked me to stick my head round the corner and look at his desk, that is my lens exactly the same as yours. Only thing I can do with mine is use it for a paperweight as well. 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
Sad to read that chipped car parts will be the norm.  I got a lesson in chipped batteries about 13 years ago. I developed some hardware to allow me to operate a remote cell phone via fiber optics. I got it working well, then I thought I could just replace the cell phone battery with a 4.7V buck converter from the 12V battery/PV.  Turned into quite a project, had to remove the chipped tiny circuit board from the manufacturer's specially priced replacement battery in order to make it work, and add a bunch of hardware and software mods to slowly cycle power to the chipped board in a manner that allowed the processor to think it had just been connected to a battery in the factory.  The only function of adding the processor to the battery was to prevent customers from using aftermarket batteries, and to make it hard for aftermarket battery companies to copy their security code serial data, all at the expense of battery life and cost.

Alas, for those of us with brain injuries/inflammation and epilepsy, antidepressants (both Tri-cyclic and SSRIs) are contraindicated as they cause seizures, and narcotics for pain increase spinal fluid pressure so increase head pain. 

Medicine has come a long way in the last 200 years but it has a long, long way to go. Evolved biological systems, like evolved software, are hell to fully understand and repair/modify. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »

Camera batteries are chipped now in the same way and have been for some time.  Its all just a money grab by the manufacturers.  Genuine batteries cost North of $84. There are knockoffs that work better than OEM ( Higher capacity) available for $8. The catch is you have to buy a generic charger because while the camera accepts them, the OEM charger won't . No big deal though, the charger is about $8 as well so you are still laughably in front.

The manufacturers of course go on like putting one of these cells in your camera WILL, with absolute certainty fry the thing beyond repair and do everything they can to scare people out of using them. It's largely successful from what I have seen with the sheeple internet mentality on forums parroting the fear and BS.

Of course mate and I have bought LOADS of the knockoffs and apart from about 1 dud in 20 ( which is a lesser failure rate than I have had with the OEM's supplied with new camera's) they work perfectly and always outperform the OEM's.  Mate had a DUD  he opened up to see what was in it.  about the same time he happened to drop a no name on the floor and the thing split where it was glued  together. You guessed it, SAME cells. He put this on a forum and still got lambasted with all sorts of other excuses and rubbish  defending the OEM's even though he clearly showed the 2 were from the same manufacturer and showed something from the manufacturer that said they did not produce their own batteries amount a list of other items from outside suppliers.

The worst ones for this I have seen by far are Printers.
All the cartridges are chipped and they change printer models every 9-18 Months.  I have pulled some of these apart myself  and clearly the internals of a model I bought 2 years ago are the same internals of a model I bought 8 years ago.  The cartridges have changed 4 times but as I always suspected from the sound, performance and behaviors of the things, they are the same internals in different window dressing with digfferent cartridges to throw off the replacements.

I have been using aftermarket ink now for about 10 years and again, despite the endless gloom and doom spread by the manufacturers, my position is the aftermarket ink is BETTER than the OEM.
The aftermarket is true to life and gives great tonal gradation and is easy to balance. The OEM is over saturated to create screaming bright and unrealistic colours that are peaky and in fact look dull when you balance up for skin tones because you have to pull the entire gamut range right down.

A cartridge for my current printer is about $27 and holds 8Ml of ink. Takes 5. I can buy the printer with ink anywhere under $100 and the keen price is about $79.  I buy the knockoff ink in 1 litere, 1000 ml for $95. In other words a cartridge worth of ink costs me about .9 Cents.
I buy the Knockoff cartridges which sometimes have good ink and sometimes not bad but not great and print signage or posters with them and then when empty I just refill them.  Over and over.

I have been told by a department head at canon about 12 years back their profits from printer ink are more than ALL their other enterprises PUT TOGETHER.  I wonder why?
Ink is a HUGE rip off.

Luckily one I have found a way around and saved myself well over $10k by now over the years.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »
HP makes good inkjet printers, but they lose money on me. I bought an HP officejet Pro with large cartridges, and refill them with bulk dye (non-pigment) ink that I tolerate well.  The pigment ink on fresh copy reeks of paint to me and gives me a whopping headache. I also removed the WIFI transceiver board from the HP 8100, and added a switch on the internal battery so it can't remember that specific cartridges have already been used (and refilled). Dye ink is a pain as I must select highest quality printing and high ink volume in order to have the print heads not clog.  But at least I can read freshly printed pages comfortably.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 12:01:31 AM »
I believe parts have to be coded to modern cars to stop the home mechanics from repairing them. VAG cars are notorious for that you replace a part sometimes something like a lock and the car doesn't recognise it, you have to get someone with a laptop and the correct software to code the part, not cheap here!
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 01:04:28 AM »
That's outrageous. Glad I already own my last car, a 1985 MB 300D, which I've had for about 20 years.  I don't feel I need radio transmitters in my wheels to let me know if a tire is low, or GPS, or WIFI, or rear view cameras or any other electronic trash.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 07:41:13 AM »
Don`t get me on the subject of printers and other domestic appliances. Too late you already did! When I left the UK and emigrated to Australia, I brought with me a perfectly serviceable home computer system with printer and etc. When the ink cartridges ran out I went to the local office supplies and bought replacements. The ink cartridges sold by HP in Australia are incompatible with HP printers sold in the UK! I am guessing this is to prevent people from buying ink via Epay from the cheapest source.

So I purchased an identical Australian, HP replacement printer which worked fine until the ink ran out. In a moment of madness I remembered the two new Australian cartridges that wouldn`t work with my old printer. I installed these expecting them to work, no such luck. I then purchased two more ink cartridges and installed them only to be told that they were incompatible with a UK printer! All efforts at getting a resolution from HP have been futile.

I am now on my third printer and wonder what is going to happen when the ink runs out. I guess Bill Gates promise of a paperless office is about to come true because no one can afford a new printer every time they need to print a document.

The same thing applies to TVs and DVD players, apparently this is because of the UK censorship laws. I had a lot of European friends when I lived in the UK, they were all multi-lingual because they had grown up watching British, French, German, Spanish & other TV in their home countries. Sadly we in the UK were deprived of all the subversive European channels because the censor insisted that UK TVs not be allowed to tune into overseas broadcasts. This also applies to UK sold DVD players which will not play anything other than an approved UK DVD. There are working solutions to these problems but they all cost time and money, far easier to throw away the whole lot and start again.

Incredibly the very first British film censor was blind, I guess you could film what you liked as long as there was no nasty dialogue or bad language!  :laugh: I remember falling asleep in front of the TV in France, I woke up to hard core pornography. I was convinced that I must have pushed a button on the TV remote control and accidentally selected a pay to view channel. When I checked out of the hotel I was surprised to find no extras on my bill, I questioned the desk clerk and was informed that French TV regularly screen free pornography after midnight. Thirty years of skiing in Europe and nobody ever told me!  :'(

Rant over, for now.

Bob