Puppeteer

Author Topic: NiFe battery experience  (Read 449 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: NiFe battery experience
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 05:44:16 AM »
    ..............Main consideration would be How do I get 1 Ton of batteries in there in one pack?  Maybe batteries go in front shed and everything else goes in the back and is just wired up ?  Will they deliver with a forklift?

And you need a doorway wide enough to forklift a battery pack thru.  Maybe a ramp so the forklift can get the batteries inside the door.  Maybe a overhead crane rail to roll the pack on in ?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 06:09:08 AM »
Why not just buy a whole forklift and hook it up to the solar? That way you get the batteries you want a mobile machine to take them where you want them and a useful tool for the shed.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »
Why not just buy a whole forklift and hook it up to the solar? That way you get the batteries you want a mobile machine to take them where you want them and a useful tool for the shed.

Bob

That thought crossed my mind too!
Forklifts are very handy things to have.

I did a bit more digging and found there are " battery ready" Solar inverters that are like a normal GTI but will use the battery power as well to feed back into the home. You could use these on grid or off grid. On grid they would supply the home and charge the battery before exporting and then at night could be programmed to back feed the house. You can even set the discharge level so you only take say 25% and then the things revert to the grid..... Or you could have a seperate controller measuring pack voltage that just kicked in the genny.

The  battery ready inverters run off 48V packs which is convenient and are around the $2500 mark in oz for a 5 Kw unit that will charge the battery pack at up to 3000W and provide power up to  5Kw. There are also 10 Kw units available.

Considering a decent 5 kilo  standard GTI is going to cost $1500-$2k anyhow, the battery ready inverters seem like a decent soloution. 
I believe you could do cheaper with a seperate charger and inverter but for ongrid these would work well and certainly leave the stupid power walls and things for dead both cost and capacity wise.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 01:07:06 PM »
Looking long term that would viable considering it costs $500 a year just to have the mains on tap. As it is at the moment it costs me nothing because of the credits I get from the feed in tariff.  It suits me to keep this arrangement going because my plasma cutter takes 7 Kva and the compressor for it is 3Kva which would be a shock for most inverters. After 2025 when the agreement runs out I will probably be too shaky to pick up a plasma and my family will tell me it is too dangerous for me to use an oxy torch.