Puppeteer

Author Topic: ran fuel dry  (Read 1990 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
ran fuel dry
« on: November 30, 2018, 06:32:54 PM »
Somehow, I didn't turn the fuel on when I started up this AM.  Ran for a good 10 minutes or so, and must have sucked every drop out of the plumbing.  I've bled and have fuel flowing out the top of the pump with the HP line off, but can't seem to get the HP line to blow all the bubbles through.  I'll get a couple good squirts, think it's done, and tighten the upper nut up, and it fires 2 or 3 times, and then air again.  I've rapped all the lines, trying to shake bubbles loose, and rock the flywheel back and forth, getting good squirts out the injector line, but won't keep going .   Is it just full of air foam and have to bleed it all through, or does something bad happen in an IP if it runs dry ?   I use 2 stroke oil in the diesel, 200:1 ratio (ir is that 1:200 ?  4 oz oil per 5 gallons diesel) so the pump shoudl have no damage ?

38ac

• View Profile
Re: ran fuel dry
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 01:54:08 AM »
Have a two clean rags handy then turn the engine to assure that the fuel pump lifter is all the way down. Loosen the high pressure line at the injector and then remove the high pressure line from the pump and push it aside. Next remove the delivery valve retainer that is under the line you just removed. Be careful as it it comes free as there is a spring under it and set the pieces on the clean rag. Then with you finger lift the delivery valve off the seat until the bubbles clear and then hold it down while tapping the pump inlet line and lift again. Repete until no more bubbles. Usually takes 2-3 tries and takes less time. Reverse the removal order leaving the line loose at the injector, About 10 revolutions you should be getting clear fuel at the injector. Attach line, 2-3 more revs and you should hear the injector creek and your done.

Much easier than hand cranking for 30 minutes and much quicker also.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:58:10 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 02:05:54 AM »
What about putting a bit of air pressure on the tank and then bleed sequentially from the tank?  Seems to work fine on brake bleeds.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:39:12 PM »
Running again !!

The injector pump was full of foam, which shook loose every time the engine got a good gulp of fuel and the detonation shock blew the bubbles loose.  Then it'd coast a bit, fire, coast.  Much like a hit & miss, only more missing.   I eventually used a wrench at the injector, and bled air every couple of missed fires, and finally got it going.   

I did not pull the Delivery Valve Retainer, it was on awfully tight, and I did not want to wrench that hard on it.  I rocked the flywheel back and forth, pumping each 1/2 rotation, and rapped on the side of the pump to shake bubbles loose, when it finally looked good, I hooked the HP line back up, and got it firing a bit, then bled the upper fitting as it ran.

I don't want to run it dry again. 

adding pic just for fun: