Author Topic: What's this really worth?  (Read 211 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
What's this really worth?
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: What's this really worth?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:28:21 PM »
Looks like a pretty fair price to me depending on condition. Especially since it is already on the Island.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »

+1 Looks like the right price for that equipment
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
Thanks for your consideration.  I just came across it and thought that's a lot of equipment for $500.  Thankfully I moved past the backup generator project realizing that we just didn't need one unless something really dreadful happens.  Like the California or Australia fires.  Thank goodness the fires in California are over and they can get back to "normal".  I wonder what the normal will be?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 12:54:40 AM »

Thankfully I moved past the backup generator project realizing that we just didn't need one unless something really dreadful happens.

Problem is, if something significant does happen, they will be hard to get beause everyone will want one and the price will be 10X higher at least. I haven't needed a generator in over a decade but peace of mind I get having one ( at least) up the shed is worth the 4-500 bux I have tied up in them.

Thank goodness the fires in California are over and they can get back to "normal".  I wonder what the normal will be?

I saw a thing on facewaste the other day from a friend marking the 5th anniversary since they lost everything in fires that ripped through their property. And they did loose EVERYTHING .  House, her fathers garage and car collection her horses and even their dog.  They literally had nothing but the clothes on their back and her little car.  The mother and daughter were out shopping  when the fires blew through and Dad was at home.  He went to neighbours to help them with the fire and then evacuated with them.  They ended up at different shelters and because of the lack of communication and closed roads, the mother and daughter listed him as missing.  Police went and searched the property for his body which they deemed inconclusive due to there being nothing left but rubble.

Was 10 Hours before they located him and told the Mother and daughter so you can imagine what they were going through.

I couldn't imagine starting from nothing, I mean where do you start and how do you rebuild your life when everything you knew is gone? They did but it's been a hell of a ride for my friend.  In that time she has got her teachers degree, got married, nursed and lost her mother through cancer and had a Baby.  That's a pretty full on 5 years starting with loosing your home and all your worldly possessions.

I am scared of a fire taking out my home but more my Memories. I have 2 HDD's of photos off site. One is at my Dads place, another with a friend. If the worst does happen, at least I'll have those. Bout time I updated them I suppose.  Need another HDD anyway as the bunch I have are filled up again and need putting away so I'll get a few and re copy everything. Bout the only thing I can really back up.

The other thing I have had even when I lived in the thick of suburbia was a fire pump... and a good one. Don't ask me why, just found comfort in having one and with a swimming pool, seemed in my twisted mind to make sense.  Have one here too sitting on 2x1000L tanks.  Also have an electric bore pump which puts out more than the fire pump I think.  has like a 180M head on it so really pushes some pressure  through the 1.5" outlet. I have that connected to a proper 36M Fire hose with a proper Nozzle.

Probably little to no more chance of getting burned out here but it is very handy for watering the garden and cleaning solar panels if nothing else and again, worth the strange contentment I have knowing its there if ever some one in a million situation arises where where I need it.

I might be paranoid or whatever but at least i'm not alone. Next door neighbour has one too and told me he always felt uneasy until he got a good size tank and a pump to go on it. If some fire does ever come, I think between the 2 of us we would stand a decent chance of saving what we have given the most flammable thing round here is manicured lawn.

When we water the lawn though, we REALLY water the lawn!  :0)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
Hey Glort, completely understand all your paranoia about not having the right equipment when you need it. Better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it.

Got to feel sorry for those poor buggers in Queensland, catastrophic fires raging and we haven`t even got to summer proper. I`ve read reports of the police forcibly evacuating people against their will, things are that bad that they will drag you away in hand cuffs rather than let you stay. Wonder what the human rights campaigners will make of that? Can`t see the lawyers queuing up to sue the police for saving lives.

Talking of watering the lawn, I`ve got to go water the veggie patch.

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 07:24:45 AM »
.........Thank goodness the fires in California are over and they can get back to "normal".  I wonder what the normal will be?

Preaching mode on.   The fire season here is over, now the mudslide season starts.

Normal in the <1600's in California, was wide spaced trees with grass and islands of brush.  The native americans annually burned the grass and maintained the environment to provide habitat for game (their dinner !)  Then the aliens came along, cut trees and then forest service came along and decreed All fire must be extinguished Immediately least the forest burn up.   So now there's 80 years of underbrush and when a fire starts, it's got 80 years of dry fuel to burn. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »
Same problem here in Australia Mike. The indigenous Aboriginal peoples used fire very successfully as a land management tool, then the white man arrived with a whole bunch of environmentalists and f*cked everything up.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »

I always used to criticise people for letting the bush come right up to their properties and not knocking it back.  Mate moved to a place that backs onto a river and the border between the river itself and all the properties of about 700M is owned by the council supposedly.

When Mate moved there , all the neighbors used to get together and clear about a 100M strip along their back fence lines as a fire break every year at the begging of spring.  Some green do gooder tipped off the council and they arrived on said working B day with the cops in tow. Can't touch it,Council land.  Another neighbour who was a fire captain later put in submissions to say had to be cleared but council did nothing.

About 7 years later, fires ripped through there straight up the gully with gale force winds and a house was lost and almost the elderly resident whom had returned early from holidays and everyone still thought was away.  Luckily  another neighbour went to check and saved the old girls life. 

Upshot was the insurance co sued the council and of course handed their arses to them.  Fire captains submission outlines the danger of the fire coming up the gully, direction of prevailing winds, type of tress and everything else so it was well know before the event what the risks were and council not only failed to act but stopped others protecting their property as well.

Ever since the council has maintained the clearing at significant expense given the difficulty of the terrain and the now wider break enforced.
Mrs works for said council and says it's a real sore point but part of the settlement was they do maintain it or there are huge penalties.
Another fire went through there earlier  this year. Mate said the ember storm was the worst part but the fire itself was never close enough to cause any heat damage or set anything alight. He stayed and fought it and although the fires were bad in the area and a lot of properties lost, he said it wasn't that bad where he was because of the break that had been made.

Another case was a guy my father knew who lived closer to town.  Wanted to cut down this big tree but council denied him permission many times over several years.  Storm came up, tree came down, guy was killed and Mrs injured. The family had a field day with council over that one. Apparently they got a massive payout as the family would be due.  Ever since, getting tress down in the town has not been much of a problem.

Amazing that it takes getting their arses sued off after something tragic and completely foreseeable happens before they pull their heads out their nether regions.

Planning on a few trees round here disappearing this weekend.  Sick of the leaves and branches making a mess everywhere and the garden being unusable due to the roots that run forever.  Not like there is any shortage of trees round here, we are surrounded by hundreds of acres once you get out of the estate. None of the other neighbors have them, they somehow all seemed to end up in this yard.
Not for long. Spoken to other neighbors and they will be happy for them to be gone as well.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »
Trees have their place, in forests or as windbreaks. Trouble is the human population is growing so fast that we have to build housing in forested areas. Bad for the environment and bad for people. Anyone for outlawing procreation? Guessed not, so some trees have to go. I`ve always believed that if you need to cut down a tree you should be made to plant three more somewhere more appropriate. Safe and environmentally wise. Doubt any council or government agency have the wit or imagination to implement such a simple policy.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 01:52:37 PM »
Trees have their place, in forests or as windbreaks.

My sentiments exactly.  The real annoyance is people plant the wrong tress in the wrong places and then they become a problem.
3 of the trees I want to get rid of are Peppercorns. In most states here they are considered an Invasive species.  The bastards grow like no tomorrow.  I have given them all a short back and sides down to 4 ft off the ground to leave some leverage for the excavator to push on them but they Burst out in new growth in weeks.  The roots I have pulled up 10M away and they go along the surface not underground out the way.  They just do not belong anywhere near a backyard.  2 of them are going to be real challenges to get out. Probably take half a day each with a 1.7T excavator. then I have to get rid of the stump and root ball.  More effort and expense!

Another one is a small popular. Again with the spreading surface roots and being deciduous they drop leaves everywhere.  I also don't want another tree growing 50Ft tall in the back yard. I have a 80Ft gum in the front yards that's going to cost me a large fortune to get rid of as it has a disese.

Trouble is the human population is growing so fast that we have to build housing in forested areas.

All the massively expanding houseing round here is going in cow paddocks that were cleared a century or more ago. from what I see, more forest is cleared for farming land and things like solar farms.  they have stripped massive amounts of rain forest some years back to grow renewable oil in the form of palms. then the arse fell out of the Biodiesel market and a lot of that forested land that was home to a lot of animals lie dormant and overgrown with weed type species.  More environmental BS doing more damage than good.

Anyone for outlawing procreation?

For sure!
if one looks at the worlds major problems,  Globull warming, energy, polloution, poverty etc.... if you get to the grass roots it all comes down to one thing... population. the prolems are getting worse because the world is based on growth and to have that you have to have growing numbers of people.
It really is where all the problems start.
The wold needs to do a former China and strongly encourage people to have one child only.  This will put the brakes on the exponential and serious ramifications of the population explosion and level things out.  But of course there is less money in that so will never happen till there isn't enough food, water or clean air and then it will happen by calamity.

I`ve always believed that if you need to cut down a tree you should be made to plant three more somewhere more appropriate.

Sounds reasonable but where you going to put them? I doubt there is much cleared land where there is want or need to re plant it. Maybe some 3rd world shitholes where the over population has caused the land to be stripped bare but good luck keeping there sources hungry population out of there. They will strip it of every twig like Locusts.

Doubt any council or government agency have the wit or imagination to implement such a simple policy.

You may remember a period before 5 years back where in Oz we had the feelgood, look good to the world, carbon tax. A waste of money and stupidity beyond comprehension.

A significant stated goal of that was to plant Millions of trees to help the environment and rising Co2 levels.
I wanted to know where these trees were being planted and in what number. I sent emails and made calls and went round in circles over months.  Kept getting told money is going into planting trees.
Great! Where is being planted now that I can go see this happening? NO ONE could tell me. They couldn't even find anything where it was happening, who was doing it or anything else.  In other words it NEVER happened and I don't believe one single tree was planted from the hundreds of millions of $$ raised.

I found the whole thing was beyond comprehension. something like a 90 percentile of the money collected went back to those it was collected from and those that had to endure higher costs as offsets and the rest went on admin. It was the most ridiculous, pointless, Bullshit tax ever heard of.  Far as I can see, the gubbermint of the day didn't profit much if anything at all. The tax was so unpopular they gave it all back in grants, subsidies and offsets So as to stay in power and appease the greens in the parliament at the same time.  Political insanity at it's best.... or worst.

I certainly won't be planting any trees to replace the ones I pull out but I do want to put in quite a few Native shrubs and a LOT more hedging.  May not be trees but I'd think it's likely to have the same benefits to the air we breathe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:45 PM »
Many years ago some genius suggested pumping all the waste water from Sydney inland and using it for irrigation, could probably support a few trees. The environmentalists opposed the idea claiming that the water would be contaminated and poison the environment.

So we now pump it out to sea where it poisons the ocean then go swimming in it!

Great result.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 01:31:12 AM »

Everyones waste water round here goes to watering trees.... and plants and lawn.
It's like liquid fertiliser. Stuff goes nuts.  Most people put it on the lawn but I have recognised it's too valuable for that. Goes on everything I don't want to eat. In some states you can put it on food and fruit crops. I'm a bit in 2 minds about that but for everything else.... Dynamite!

I was watching some Vids a few weeks back where they recycle waste water to drinking water.
Time they are finished it is more clean and inert than rain water.  The process is solar powered and aimed at dessert locations where sun is plentiful and water is not. Can be done viably on a Municipal scale.

Been out this morning doing some gardening to get the place looking better. My way.
I have raised up about 60 Sunflower plants and and putting them along the pathways which should look nice and supplementing them with.... Corn!
Why not? Looks good, grows tall, grows fast and grows in any crappy soil.  Might stagger the sunflowers and the corn right down the driveway too. Reckon it will look brilliant when it's all up and tall.  Might be a bit late  for Christmas but come Middle of Jan Feb, should look great.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 05:36:34 PM »
What a great morning.  I wake up to discover the villains of the modern world.  Trees.  Yup it's the victims fault.

Anyone for outlawing procreation? Guessed not.
  Hmmmmm.  Me neither but we all know what the worldwide problem is.  Just too many people and it's still growing.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator