Author Topic: Ashwamegh 25/2 : we are CLOSE now !  (Read 4270 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Ashwamegh 25/2 : we are CLOSE now !
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »
Today I had the opportunity to spend time with the beast.

Checked mufflers and intaked....no obstructions.....I did finally add
oil to the oil bath air cleaner. Remember those ?

Check injectors...looks like the correct numbers to
me ??

Adjust valves....I tried a few methods but wasn't happy...it started
and ran fine but I didn't think the intake had enough play so I did
the old slap and tickle at about 10k straight across.  Starts/runs
fine.
Check load for numbers.....yep, 4.2+ kw..... I am using space heaters and heat guns...checked each one and got the total.

Play with springs...The final spring wiil just hint at wanting to
hunt.....I can observe the slightest movent in the linkage but I
don't really hear a change in engine rpm.

But here are the numbers....

61.5 HZ no load
60.00 with the 4.3 kw load I run.

That is better than it's ever been....
man, I'm HAPPY with that !

I will need to do some more/better electrical work
before I try any heavier load testing.

I know everyone has been on the edge of your chairs with
anticipation, so I decided to spread the joy !

Gary

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:56:53 PM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Ashwamegh 25/2 : we are CLOSE now !
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 11:11:55 PM »
That's great news, Gary.   Your patience and perseverance did it.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 01:06:23 AM »
Well done Gary, lets hope she brings you many years of joy and electricity.

Bob

2Ton46

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 01:25:13 AM »
Great news! I'm glad it's working out. I know the frustration of getting the response dialed in....and the joy of getting it right is worth the trip!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
 Life with India engines is usually an adventure or sorts but glad to see you are getting it dialed in Gary.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
Hello all.  I am a longtime viewer and have never posted but think I can add a little about the lack of power.

I have several Listeroids that power generators, compressors and stuff.  One of them belted to a ST-5 falls far short of expected output, but holds frequency and voltage great at less than full loads.  In dinking with it last week I found the governor pulls the rack and speed increases when the load is small, but at high loads and certainly at near full load the speed starts to fall off even though the governor has pulled to "full fuel" position.  I pulled the pins in the linkage and tried again to get full power by manipulating the rack by hand had no problem at all in pulling rated power  and beyond!  The situation is that the internal governor arrangement does not have enough travel to operate the rack both to no fuel and to max load fuel.

A solution that I'll implement is to lengthen the arm that operates the vertical linkage so that the rack can open further.  I believe this is a defect in this engine due to a poor copy of a Lister.  This defect does not exist in my other engines. 

Maybe other engines have this defect hidden waiting to puzzle their owners?

Thanks for listening,
George

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
Hi George, very interesting observation. I posted a while back some photos of a genuine Lister CS governor linkage and a modern Indian copy. the length of the linkage levers was wrong and the alignment with the rack was terrible. I chose to make brass bushes for the original rather than use the replacement. Still haven`t made any smoke as I am waiting for the cylinder to be sleeved.

Bob

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 07:25:42 PM »
Good work!
I too had governor linkage issues which turned out to be the spring tension and also a linkage that was binding (Alignment).

You are now ready! Caution.... You may find yourself praying for power outages.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:28:15 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 04:53:36 AM »
Good News for You!
I have a similar Ashwamegh 25/2 w/ ST12 head. Last night we had a wind storm and the power went out a couple of hours before bedtime.
I just lit a pair of ISO-Butane camping lanterns so we could read books (remember those?) before bed.
BUT! Today I went to the garage and inspected / pre-lubed the Listeroid and lit it off for the first time in about 4 years. It took right off!
I ran it @ 3Kw on space heaters for an additional hour after the water temp got up to 200F (93C?)
I want to caution all of you twin operators that the 'off side' injector pump cam follower and the end of the cam run very dry. That housing does not have a supply of oil, so I plumbed in a pipe tee at the top of the oil pump and run a hose to a Frantz oil filter an direct the filtered oil into a fitting that dribbles onto the 'dry' cam. This cavity has a drain hole to allow oil to return to the sump.
I have added oil pump discharge pipes, out the block to an oil heater (small marine transmission oil cooler) that resides on the hot jacket water 'up' leg. Then a full flow oil filter and back into the block to dribble onto the 3 main bearings.
Now the oil is heated & filtered so I don't worry about using detergent oil.
I went thru the governor spring routine, as with you, the final result was good. I'll be looking into the 'full governor travel' George mentioned.
My 25/2 was set up and run at 1000 RPM initially, but it was pretty twitchy, and with the poor governor springs would overspeed when load was reduced. It shook so bad it broke mount bolts and was generally scary. I considered that too be too risky so:
I got a smaller gen-head pulley, which reduced engine speed to about 735 RPM (too bad, smoothest was about 910 RPM, but no pulley available in that size) My measured Max Output is 9.6Kw blowing black smoke and squeaking the drive belt!
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 05:34:07 AM »
Hey SHIPCHIEF have you considered balancing those flywheels - there's a lot of info on here about that; and substantial improvements to be made I believe

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
Mike and All;
Without any education or knowledge, I added weights to either or both flywheel inner rims, including a big old crescent of lead I cast for the purpose. I never achieved satisfactory results.
I should look that up.
However, I now have access to a DynaVibe propeller balancer which has an accelerometer and a a timing strobe.
Truth is: I don't need 12Kw and I've grown to like the current speed & fuel consumption. It performed well during the February 2007, 5 day Ice Storm blackout.
I would like to see it run even smoother and a bit less clanking... :P
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »
Hi 'Cheif

I'm liking the idea of using an oil cooler the 'other way round', there's lots of stuff on here that refers to the Lister's oil temperature being on the low side.

As the crankshaft on my CS was badly worn I had the big end re ground and replaced the mains with taper roller bearings - and plenty of Loctite 620 -, thus removing the need for the oil pump. I re routed the oil pipes to 'squirt at the TRB's even 'tho it's not necessary (Follow 38 ac's tip of removing the inspection plate after a run and see how much oil has been slung around the inside of the crank case by that little dipper)

Re running the plumbing and heating the oil before filtering and sending it back to the inside seems like a great idea.

Cheers
Stef 
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »
Just a follow up.  I arranged for the full travel of the governor to do same on the fuel rack and am happy to report that I can now get a full 5 kw from the ST-5 with a faint smoke and 6 kw with HEAVY smoke.  Mission accomplished, who's next?

George

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 11:25:50 PM »
The engine was not designed to operate under full rack thus the governor was not designed to open the rack fully under loading, only at rest will it do that in order to provide  over fueling to aide starting. The original racks had a tear drop shaped travel limiter so that once he engine came  up to RPM and the rack eased back it fell  over center and prevented over fueling when the engine was in operation

That being said India is entirely capable of screwing anything up.  Even when right the CS engines governing will benefit from increasing the lever ratios but limited rack travel was in the original design and sounds like it should be on yours with the modified levers

I will provide a picture of the OEM rack limiter next time  I am out to the shop.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 02:08:32 AM »
What I said was perfectly clear to me knowing what I was attempting but not at all accurately describing what is happening.  Shame on me.  What I should have said that the rack now moves sufficiently to fuel well past full load but is not near the limits of the rack travel.  This is an enormous improvement over the 2 and a bit kw that was available before the mods.  I sorry for the awkward and misleading wording of my previous post.