Author Topic: Remote stop  (Read 4995 times)

Electric Chicken

• View Profile
Remote stop
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:35:39 PM »
I know this is going to sound really simple but ... I have a remote stop fitted to my LD1 generator. It has a 3 core sure coming out of it. What sort of voltage does it need to operate the solenoid? I am guessing that it should be wired into a 12 volt battery with a switch unit in the circuit .
Thanks, in advance for your help. The weather here in the UK us getting colder and wetter and I don't relish having to tramp down the garden to switch her off in a howling January gale in the dark.

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Remote stop
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
I need a translation on "3 core sure coming out of it".  If that means 3 wires, then it may have a move coil and a hold coil with a common terminal.  It will not hurt to try 12V across any two of these, but better to find the manual for that solenoid to see that's what.  By the manual test method or by measuring resistance of across each of the wires to the others I may be able to get you sorted.  I know nothing of the LD1, unfortunately, so I hope someone will be able to come to your aid.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
Hi

Odds are it's going to be 12 volts, working on two of the wires, try it. The third wire may well be 'live' when the solenoid is being powered, to feed another item /  circuit, using an internal contact. Sending power elsewhere, perhaps to reset a valve lifter for the next start or light a warning lamp.

Go through the wires on 12 volts - it's unlikely to be less - using a mutimeter or a bulb and two bits of wire, and establish what does what. If the solenoid fails to work or is sluggish, try 24 volts whilst watching for excess warmth and the release of the 'magic smoke'. 

It's a bit hard to trouble shoot for you without being there, knowing the past history of your setup, or having a wiring diagram from it's original build. Behave like a doctor and 'Do no harm'

Should you cock it up you'll have paid what Ed Dee refers to as 'School Fees'. Get another solenoid from Ebay and start afresh, they're not expensive.

Whilst typing this BruceM posted, nice to know that someone who's electrical knowledge is far greater than mine is thinking on similar lines!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
Steff raises one possibility; two of the wires may be connected to the same coil terminal. This is easily determined via ohm meter.

Electric Chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
Thanks, folks. I tried 12 volts into it and can get the solenoid to hold the stop switch up but not to actually lift it up. I will try a different combination of the three wires tomorrow and see what happens, failing that I will try 24 volts.
I will try to upload a photo of it.

Electric Chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
This us what the inside of the box looks like

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »
Measuring the resistance of the coil(s) will give us an idea of the intended voltage.

I think in another thread Bob stated that the LD1 coils were 115 or 230V.  12V would not accomplish much on such a coil. 

Electric Chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:46:53 PM »
Time to dig the multimeter out then.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »
Hi EC, pretty sure it`s going to be 12 volt. It probably has two solenoid coils in it, one high powered to lift the fuel rack and a smaller coil to hold it there once running. They probably share a common neutral.

The other thing is that until this solenoid activates you aren`t going to be generating any 240 volt AC. Cart before the horse is never going to work

Bob

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
Hey Bob,

This is a stop solenoid, not a start/run solenoid... I presume the operator (warm and dry indoors somewhere) presses and holds the button until the engine stops... and I assume it does it by pushing the fuel rack shut.

Running it on 240v (mains) would be no use, as soon as the engine slowed beyond the point where a sensible voltage was being generated, the solenoid would pop open again, and if there was any speed left in the system the motor would fire right up again!

I'd be VERY surprised if the operating voltage is different to the electric starting voltage... assuming it has electric start. If it's hand-crank only, all bets are off (but it'll be one of 12 or 24, I'm sure).
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 04:20:17 AM »
If it`s a stop solenoid why does it have three wires?

It would be interesting to have a look at the stop switch to identify if it is a make or break switch for shut down.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 08:30:32 AM »
Therein lies the mystery, Bob!

Without knowing what the three wires do, the make or type of solenoid or where it came from we're all in the dark!

Given the  history of some of the old engines on here, the solenoid and the Lister may have met much later in life!

Best bet, IMHO, is to pop down the scrappies and salvage a couple of door locking mechanisms , one for a spare, and start again with what will definitely be 12 volt solenoids.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
Great idea Stef, still need to check the switch to ensure it is a spring loaded push to make type, otherwise the battery will discharge through the solenoid.

Bob

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 10:33:42 PM »
On the start o matic lister cs there is a resistor connected to the sollenoid to reduce the amps going to the coil when it's running, works with a switch thats being pushed by the fuel linkage.

Also with a multimeter you can see on witch wires you got reading and witch on not. and the start o matic was 24v.

just an idea

bernhard

Electric Chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 08:07:23 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful advise. I will have a good chance to have a fiddle with it all this weekend. I'll let you know what I find out and what the mysterious wires do.
I think this remote stop was rigged up by the previous owner but as he unfortunately died recently, I can't ask him his it was all supposed to work.
If all else fails, then its a trip to the scrappie for newer solenoids.