Puppeteer

Author Topic: Remote stop  (Read 337 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Remote stop
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »
Or order something like this off the 'bay, two for less than a tenner and save getting grubby on a rainy Saturday....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Wire-Car-Power-Central-Door-Lock-Actuator-Locking-Solenoid-Motor-DC-12V/253307373233?hash=item3afa4bc6b1:g:1rUAAOSwbF1aLxN~:rk:12:pf:0

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »
Hey Stef, those look like motor driven actuators- but the current of 4 amps at 12V makes it seem more like a true solenoid. A motor driven actuator would only need 0.1 amps for 12lbs of force.

The CS requires about 10 lbs of force to overcome the governor spring, with a direct push on the rack end. So if their specs of 12lbs are right, these should do it.   My actuators are air cylinders, but that's hardly convenient for most.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:05:25 PM by BruceM »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »
Hi Stef, would those solenoids have switches in them or would all the switching be done by the central locking controller?

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
Stroke is only 20mm- just a bit too short for a CS rack. Other door lock solenoids might do it.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 05:22:40 AM »
If it`s a stop solenoid why does it have three wires?

May be nothing more than the guy that rigged it up only had mains cable on hand so used that and didn't bother with the earth.
 I have seen people do this with car wiring. Use what they have lying round and that's it. Works so in their minds why worry about if it's the proper cable or if there is an extra unused wire.  Seen lots of things done on cars with mains BP connectors and terminals as well.  Cringeworthy but not uncommon.

Without seeing a pic of the connections and the cable, anything is possible.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 07:57:19 AM »
Hi Bob

I reckon this is the bunny...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_door_locks#/media/File:DoorAnimation1.gif

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the animation Stef, very simple relay switching to reverse polarity on the solenoids. I am assuming that these would have high resistance and draw very little from the vehicle battery/charging circuit.

Bob