Puppeteer

Author Topic: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia  (Read 15505 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 12:47:11 AM »
NZ population just hit 5 million recently

Ethnic diversity?  Let me quote from the most recent (2017) stats below:

The majority of New Zealand's population is of European descent (74 percent), with the indigenous Māori being the largest minority (14.9 percent), followed by Asians (11.8 percent) and non-Māori Pacific Islanders (7.4 percent).
Minor ethnic: Māori 14.9%; Asian 11.8%; Pacific peoples
Major ethnic: European 74.0%
Population: 4,885,300 (Stats NZ 2017 estimate)

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
The Pictures..

As you can see the head isn't that bad and the wiring, is not that fantastic, but its all there.
So im looking for a 38mm taperlock bush with a matching 140mm 3 section v belt pulley.
and will start with two belts, and go to 3 if needed. Cant see i would need all four.

An suggestions on ebay AVR's was thinking SX 460 or something like. Or are they only for Brushless heads?

So thats were it stands at the moment. May replace the top box with something bigger and put the power sockets on one side and the meters and breakers on the other.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:52:27 AM by old seagull man »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 08:11:18 AM »
The consensus on ST heads for stationary use is to remove the doghouse and replace it with a smaller box for electrical interconnect only, and move your electronics to a wall mounted box.

I did that after watching the the usual failures. (We all want to believe it can't be that bad.) I used a die cast aluminum box that just covers the top opening.

The stock analog meter typically fails within a few hours of run time.  It's a very high vibration location.  If it is for a portable rig, I'd still remove the doghouse, and would not mount even digital electronics in that location.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:12:59 AM by BruceM »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 08:22:23 AM »
Hi OSM, when I bought my head, Stephen threw in a GAVR 15B AVR, looks to be an OK unit although the wiring diagram is a bit confusing. Cheapest I could find on fleabay is this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-Diesel-Generator-Part-AVR-GAVR-15A-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/122996408286?epid=2286885748&hash=item1ca3283fde:g:kg0AAOSwSP9bUaiE:rk:59:pf:0

Is the pulley on your engine for an A or B belt?

Totally agree with BruceM about vibration causing problems. Once I get around to building a permanent home for my CS and generator head I will be moving every thing onto the wall.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
Don't know will have to measure, the beast. Looks bigger than a standard fan belt. when cars had fans, let alone fan belts.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Hi OSM, measure the width of the grooves at the widest point, A belts are 12.7 mm wide, B belts 16.7 mm and C belts 22mm.

Hoping it`s an A belt pulley as B and C belts and pulleys are a bit pricey. When I as working in the Boral sawmills we standardized everything to run A belts because of this. Everything except for the waste chippers which ran six 5 meter long D belts, these had to be exactly matched in length, if one belt got damaged we had to change all six. Very glad I wasn`t paying for them!  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 10:24:32 PM »
Hi OSM, just did a quick price check on pulleys and taper lock bushes.

SPA 140 mm triple $56.98
SPA 140 mm quad $67.68

SPB 140 mm triple $64.14
SPB 140 mm quad $77.15

2517 Taper lock bush for 38 mm shaft with 10 mm key $28.80

Don`t know what delivery charges would be.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 07:57:53 AM »
Wow thanks guys, for all the info. And the shopping.

Bob who is the supplier you refer to with those pulleys? That looks like were i will be going.
I will measure the pulley on the engine in the morning, im in the middle of a 18 hour work day at the moment,
so wont be struggling around the shed at 1am.

I know Glort is awake then and up to his best work, but i need sleep and to keep in good with the wife.

thanks again for everyone's help. :)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »
Hi Guys,take a look at this link. https://www.ptparts.com.au/
Outlets in Sydney and Melbourne free delivery on orders over $50!  :)
Very nice website with lots of information, prices and you can order online. Just what the internet is supposed to provide.

Don`t understand the idea of a motor vehicle with a stereo system that can only be safely listened to two states away, in a sound proof bunker! As for the alternators to power these wretched things, I suspect there is a forum somewhere feeding them the wrong information so someone can make a fast buck.

Sadly these guys grew up watching Startrek and other science fiction movies, They didn`t study at school and don`t understand the laws of physics. They think the equipment they are buying now is expensive, just wait till they have to fork out $80,000 for cochlear implants so they can hear again!  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 01:14:59 AM »
Oh God, Glort wants to kiss me, beam me up Scotty I`m in the sh1t!

Being serious, the prices are right and the website helpful and well designed. I have no idea what their customer service is like, I guess we will have to buy something to find out. Who wants to go first?

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 01:43:02 AM »
Measured the engine pulley this morning;
Top:17mm
Bottom:7.5mm
Depth:16mm

So i'm guessing a "B" Pulley or the Chinese version of one.
Though its a machined pulley no a cast one as i have seen on other engines.

So it time to order a pulley, so 2, 3, or 4, grooves is the question.
leaning towards 2 or 3, can't see me needing 4 belts for 10kw drive and 5kw load.
And its not like i wont notice a broken  belt, so i don't need the redundancy, that 4 will provide.
Im leaning towards two and i might use one at a later stage to run a small alternator for battery charging..

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 02:48:58 AM »
Hi OSM, how are you planning to tension you belts? This may sound like a stupid question but the more belts you run the more tension you need to apply, this will have an impact on bearing life expectancy. I`d be tempted to get a triple B belt pulley and just run two belts, if slippage or rapid belt wear becomes a problem you can add a third belt later.

I`m going with a pair of A belts running on the CS flywheel and a 250 mm twin pulley. lots of surface area in contact with the belts so I doubt slippage will be a problem. Large bore single cylinder engines accelerate on the power stroke and decelerate on the compression stroke, this can cause premature failure of the belts and also causes flicker in ST heads without auto voltage regulation.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 05:04:51 AM »
I'm stuck with the "B" belts unless i change the engine drive pulley. Was origionally looking at 3000 rpm alternators, and was going to use long "A" belts like your self and wrap them around the flywheel.
But the arrival of an ST5 1500rpm put an end to that.

Belt tension was going to be elongated slots in the base plate. It has to be simple.

And might build a wooden base just to set it all up, just to make shore everything works.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:06:24 AM by old seagull man »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 06:29:55 AM »
Hi OSM, like your keep it simple approach. You might consider adding a couple of jacking screws to help with tensioning and alignment. B belts it is, probably worth getting the triple pulley, depending on your finances, gives you that extra bit of redundancy depending on how often you plan to run it.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
Its looking like it wont be the small portable generator, she indoors imagined it might be.

I sat the bits in there approximate positions in the drive to work out pulley centers and belt lengths.

The wood frame will only be to test it all out, now.  it my end up on a steel trolley, yet.
We have a few of these Lister trolley round the place, and it might be the way to go?