Puppeteer

Author Topic: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia  (Read 252 times)

old seagull man

• View Profile
5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:17:46 AM »
Still on the hunt for a 5 - 8 kw gen head in OZ, closer to QLD the better.
Belt drive..

There must be an extra in somebody shed.

glort

• View Profile
Re: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 04:41:39 AM »

You didn't get one from the guy near Kempsey ?

It seems amazing how hard Gennys are to come by here.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »
Hi OSM, what happened to the head from Kempsey? Mine now looks petty good (see photos). I have skimmed the slip rings, fitted the new sealed bearings and wired up the AVR. I had to make a new top box for it, as the one it came with was an insult to engineering, a drunken monkey could have done better!

The AVR replaces the old bridge rectifier which used to feed the field winding. I have ordered a new high quality bridge rectifier and heat sink. This will be coupled to the two loose black wires in the photo. in the event of an AVR failure (usually due to magnetic storms) I will be able to quickly connect the field winding (red/brown wires) to the rectifier and be back in business, albeit a temporary fix. If you are in any doubt about these generator heads and the addition of an AVR please check out Benny loves diesels on you tube. (I`m not Benny, so no self promotion here).

I have kept the 32 amp circuit breaker but discarded everything else, as I plan to put a distribution board on the wall above the generator. This will have volt, amp, hertz and mega watt hour meters.

Sorry this is all taking me so long but health issues keep me from doing much. I will keep my eyes and ears open for something that may be suitable for you, is Grafton too far south of the boarder for you?

Bob.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
No was all set to go and have had no contact from him.
He was coming up my way with his truck, that was wonderful of him, and we were going to meet and collect, it.
then nothing.
Sent him a few email, even inquired about the 10k he had, but no reply's. I hope he's OK.

So still looking.

Yours is looking very flash, Bob. And no Grafton is not to far. Im shore if we looked in Glort's Aladdin's cave we would find something.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »

I had the same thing.  Change of plans and I thought the guy must have just thought I was mucking him around too much.

Unfortunately in my Alladdins cave you will find endless crap but a gen head won't be amoungst it.  Plenty of engines, not much to hook them up to yet.
Not really  worried atm. Too little motivation to do the things that  need doing rather than playing around just now.
Even sold one of my engines weekend before last.  Old fella came from over 300Km away to get it.  Didn't even sell it to him, gave it to him actually. Hope he has more enthusiasm than I did with it.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
Don`t give up on Stephen, I know he has had a battle with health problems, I`m hoping he`s OK as he is a very nice, honest and knowledgeable guy.

OSM, be careful what you wish for, releasing the Glort Genie could have serious repercussions!  :laugh:

Bob.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
Hi OSM, Able sell a very nice 8KVA  generator head. They have a depot in Brisbane, trouble is it will cost you $1290!  :'(

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 01:03:45 AM »
Hi Thanks Bob,

have seen those. gen head and AVR, plus GST quoted me $1475 pick up in Brisbane.
They look like a good Stamford clone, wouldn't say were they were made.
So the search continues, and also thanks to everyone who is keeping an eye out.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:00 PM »
Well what do you know.

Stephen contacted me it looks like i might have a ST5 head in a week or two if it all comes together, so might will be out with the notes on your rebuild.
And time to start on mine.

:) :) :)

Happy Christmas to me

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
Looks like someone is in for a very greasy Christmas.  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 06:34:47 AM »
Hi OSM, The new bridge rectifier and heat sink arrived today, way more powerful than needed but $20 for the pair gives me peace of mind in the event of a lightning strike killing the AVR. Probably less than a five minute job to rewire the field wires back to the rectifier and I`m back in business.

I also modified the top box cover by cutting a couple of air vents and covering them with fly mesh to keep out the creepy crawlies. Temperatures in summer can easily hit 50 centigrade here so can`t have too much ventilation.

Interestingly, the generator main body is painted with Brunswick Green to match the Lister engine. I wanted to spray paint the cover of the top box, I found that British Paints make a can of spray paint called Jungle Green which is nearly identical. might help some of our American cousins who can`t get Brunswick green.

Bob