Author Topic: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia  (Read 848 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »
Hi Guys,take a look at this link. https://www.ptparts.com.au/
Outlets in Sydney and Melbourne free delivery on orders over $50!  :)
Very nice website with lots of information, prices and you can order online. Just what the internet is supposed to provide.

Don`t understand the idea of a motor vehicle with a stereo system that can only be safely listened to two states away, in a sound proof bunker! As for the alternators to power these wretched things, I suspect there is a forum somewhere feeding them the wrong information so someone can make a fast buck.

Sadly these guys grew up watching Startrek and other science fiction movies, They didn`t study at school and don`t understand the laws of physics. They think the equipment they are buying now is expensive, just wait till they have to fork out $80,000 for cochlear implants so they can hear again!  :laugh:

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »

Pucker up Bob!
I want to give you a big kiss on the lips for that!   :-*

I never heard of these guys although they are part of Naismith which I thought was a manufacturer/ importer not a retailer. 
Their prices are the best I have seen. Cheap as chips.

I see the belts are a bit more exy in B over A series as you said. Still like the B's though! :0)
The prices on their taper locks are so cheap! Not that far from what I have been paying for ordinary cast ally Pulleys. Made my week with this!

Don't get me started on the stereo guys. All doof doof so they cannot hear any other frequency at all other than the panels rattling and the windows breaking or falling out.  they must have thick skulls indeed to think that's anything to be desired.

I watched Star trek! I think you are wrong about that, the guys that watched star trek were the ones that learned about Physics. The ones playing shoot em up video games were the the ones that went on to think their car making one monotone racket louder that a screaming 727 on takeoff was a good idea.
So many of them have video game consoles and screens in their noise makers and are still playing them when they are 30 yo. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 01:14:59 AM »
Oh God, Glort wants to kiss me, beam me up Scotty I`m in the sh1t!

Being serious, the prices are right and the website helpful and well designed. I have no idea what their customer service is like, I guess we will have to buy something to find out. Who wants to go first?

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 01:43:02 AM »
Measured the engine pulley this morning;
Top:17mm
Bottom:7.5mm
Depth:16mm

So i'm guessing a "B" Pulley or the Chinese version of one.
Though its a machined pulley no a cast one as i have seen on other engines.

So it time to order a pulley, so 2, 3, or 4, grooves is the question.
leaning towards 2 or 3, can't see me needing 4 belts for 10kw drive and 5kw load.
And its not like i wont notice a broken  belt, so i don't need the redundancy, that 4 will provide.
Im leaning towards two and i might use one at a later stage to run a small alternator for battery charging..

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 02:48:58 AM »
Hi OSM, how are you planning to tension you belts? This may sound like a stupid question but the more belts you run the more tension you need to apply, this will have an impact on bearing life expectancy. I`d be tempted to get a triple B belt pulley and just run two belts, if slippage or rapid belt wear becomes a problem you can add a third belt later.

I`m going with a pair of A belts running on the CS flywheel and a 250 mm twin pulley. lots of surface area in contact with the belts so I doubt slippage will be a problem. Large bore single cylinder engines accelerate on the power stroke and decelerate on the compression stroke, this can cause premature failure of the belts and also causes flicker in ST heads without auto voltage regulation.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 05:04:51 AM »
I'm stuck with the "B" belts unless i change the engine drive pulley. Was origionally looking at 3000 rpm alternators, and was going to use long "A" belts like your self and wrap them around the flywheel.
But the arrival of an ST5 1500rpm put an end to that.

Belt tension was going to be elongated slots in the base plate. It has to be simple.

And might build a wooden base just to set it all up, just to make shore everything works.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:06:24 AM by old seagull man »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 06:29:55 AM »
Hi OSM, like your keep it simple approach. You might consider adding a couple of jacking screws to help with tensioning and alignment. B belts it is, probably worth getting the triple pulley, depending on your finances, gives you that extra bit of redundancy depending on how often you plan to run it.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
Its looking like it wont be the small portable generator, she indoors imagined it might be.

I sat the bits in there approximate positions in the drive to work out pulley centers and belt lengths.

The wood frame will only be to test it all out, now.  it my end up on a steel trolley, yet.
We have a few of these Lister trolley round the place, and it might be the way to go?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Hi OSM, do the right thing and build it a shed with a concrete floor, doesn`t need to be big or fancy. Might be a lot of work but when everyone else is sat in the dark you will be enjoying TV, internet access and a cold beer.  :laugh:

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »

I'm jealous of that engine! The ones I have in smaller versions are rippers.

In case you are not aware, those mounting legs are for transporting the engine only. They are not meant  for the engine to operate on. there are many tales of woe of people using them and having them fail with very unpleasant consequences.  If you have not already, make up a new sturdy mounting set that can take the literal hammering they will get from one of these mighty engines.

With that nice water cooled type Flywheel, You could also set up a 12V alternator with a serpentine belt to run off that side. Being nice and large it would spin up an alt real well even at low revs and give you a heap of power for battery charging or low voltage applications.

Looking forward to the vid of it set up and running.  :0)

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
Something for all you Guys for all the suport.

"ITS Alive"
https://youtu.be/_vOby0QngWw

It will get real engine mounts and all those things, but now you have seen its real and it runs.
Smells good to Glort. So thanks everyone.

One thing i have to say is the engine runs a lot smoother than you Guys lead me to believe it would.
In the video its just sitting on its shipment palate, and it don't move much.

Will have to stand a glass of water on it, like dad used to with the RR engines, that should be fun.
Hay i might have invented a new type of milkshake maker. LOL.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:23:21 PM by old seagull man »

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2018, 12:48:22 PM »

One thing i have to say is the engine runs a lot smoother than you Guys lead me to believe it would.

I clicked on teh vid before I read the rest of your comments.  First thing I thought was geez, that thing is smooth!  I wouldn't expect  those design engines to run like that based on my own experience and every other I have seen vids of. I think you got a good one there and it seems to like the veg oil as well.

Interesting Vid as simple and straight forward as it was. Look forward to seeing it hooked up now even more. I certainly don't think you are likely to have flicker problems with that little turbine.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2018, 08:46:38 PM »
Wow, that does run smooth. Can`t wait to see how it handles the load. Definitely deserves a small shed to live in, ideally near your electric meter box so you can wire it up permanently with a cross over switch. You could then run your house on waste veg oil anytime you like.

Let us know how you go.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »
It is a nice runner- and compact enough to be a "pull out to run" backup generator. 

My neighbor has a cheap 4KW propane generator as a backup for his propane modified CS 8/1 clone housed in a Rubbermaid Deck Storage Box.  The box must be opened and the generator set pulled out slighly for operations.  It's all wired and plumbed for propane, and he has a switch to select CS or 3600 rpm screamer.   He also uses it for his portable power needs with a 5 gallon Propane cylinder.

I also have my 4KW backup gas screamer in a deck box outside my Listeroid 6/1 engine shed, all wired up.  I have never used it beyond testing.  The Rubbermaid boxes are surprisingly durable, mine is over 10 years old and I stand on it monthly for radiator fill tank service.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 06:51:07 AM »
I went to pick up something on gum tree yesterday and this was in a shed that was falling down, on the property.
6 cylinder ford Industrial engine with a 60kva Dunlite Alternator on it. Used to be the backup at the local bush hospital.
He wouldn't let me start it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:55:22 AM by old seagull man »