Author Topic: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia  (Read 820 times)

old seagull man

• View Profile
5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:17:46 AM »
Still on the hunt for a 5 - 8 kw gen head in OZ, closer to QLD the better.
Belt drive..

There must be an extra in somebody shed.

glort

• View Profile
Re: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 04:41:39 AM »

You didn't get one from the guy near Kempsey ?

It seems amazing how hard Gennys are to come by here.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »
Hi OSM, what happened to the head from Kempsey? Mine now looks petty good (see photos). I have skimmed the slip rings, fitted the new sealed bearings and wired up the AVR. I had to make a new top box for it, as the one it came with was an insult to engineering, a drunken monkey could have done better!

The AVR replaces the old bridge rectifier which used to feed the field winding. I have ordered a new high quality bridge rectifier and heat sink. This will be coupled to the two loose black wires in the photo. in the event of an AVR failure (usually due to magnetic storms) I will be able to quickly connect the field winding (red/brown wires) to the rectifier and be back in business, albeit a temporary fix. If you are in any doubt about these generator heads and the addition of an AVR please check out Benny loves diesels on you tube. (I`m not Benny, so no self promotion here).

I have kept the 32 amp circuit breaker but discarded everything else, as I plan to put a distribution board on the wall above the generator. This will have volt, amp, hertz and mega watt hour meters.

Sorry this is all taking me so long but health issues keep me from doing much. I will keep my eyes and ears open for something that may be suitable for you, is Grafton too far south of the boarder for you?

Bob.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
No was all set to go and have had no contact from him.
He was coming up my way with his truck, that was wonderful of him, and we were going to meet and collect, it.
then nothing.
Sent him a few email, even inquired about the 10k he had, but no reply's. I hope he's OK.

So still looking.

Yours is looking very flash, Bob. And no Grafton is not to far. Im shore if we looked in Glort's Aladdin's cave we would find something.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »

I had the same thing.  Change of plans and I thought the guy must have just thought I was mucking him around too much.

Unfortunately in my Alladdins cave you will find endless crap but a gen head won't be amoungst it.  Plenty of engines, not much to hook them up to yet.
Not really  worried atm. Too little motivation to do the things that  need doing rather than playing around just now.
Even sold one of my engines weekend before last.  Old fella came from over 300Km away to get it.  Didn't even sell it to him, gave it to him actually. Hope he has more enthusiasm than I did with it.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
Don`t give up on Stephen, I know he has had a battle with health problems, I`m hoping he`s OK as he is a very nice, honest and knowledgeable guy.

OSM, be careful what you wish for, releasing the Glort Genie could have serious repercussions!  :laugh:

Bob.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
Hi OSM, Able sell a very nice 8KVA  generator head. They have a depot in Brisbane, trouble is it will cost you $1290!  :'(

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 01:03:45 AM »
Hi Thanks Bob,

have seen those. gen head and AVR, plus GST quoted me $1475 pick up in Brisbane.
They look like a good Stamford clone, wouldn't say were they were made.
So the search continues, and also thanks to everyone who is keeping an eye out.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:00 PM »
Well what do you know.

Stephen contacted me it looks like i might have a ST5 head in a week or two if it all comes together, so might will be out with the notes on your rebuild.
And time to start on mine.

:) :) :)

Happy Christmas to me

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
Looks like someone is in for a very greasy Christmas.  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 06:34:47 AM »
Hi OSM, The new bridge rectifier and heat sink arrived today, way more powerful than needed but $20 for the pair gives me peace of mind in the event of a lightning strike killing the AVR. Probably less than a five minute job to rewire the field wires back to the rectifier and I`m back in business.

I also modified the top box cover by cutting a couple of air vents and covering them with fly mesh to keep out the creepy crawlies. Temperatures in summer can easily hit 50 centigrade here so can`t have too much ventilation.

Interestingly, the generator main body is painted with Brunswick Green to match the Lister engine. I wanted to spray paint the cover of the top box, I found that British Paints make a can of spray paint called Jungle Green which is nearly identical. might help some of our American cousins who can`t get Brunswick green.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
Well Santa arrived early at OSM HQ, Stephen met me in brisbane, and delivered me a nice 2010 built green chinese  5kw generator.
Pictures in the morning.

But it looks just like Bobs in the earlier photos. And will probable get the same Avr and bridge pack.
But Digital meters, Glort style.

So i will need a taper lock 140mm pulley and some other bits, as well.

How many drive belts are most people putting on there 5k heads? The engine has a four groove, pulley. So will need to match the section of the pulley and belts.

Any suggestions for drive belt setups, most very welcome.  Its a pitty i can't use a serpentine fan belt from a commodore or falcon and couple of harmonic balancer pulleys.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 09:11:35 PM »
Bravo OSM, Christmas has come early. For v-belts, pulleys and taper lock bushes, google PTParts. They have outlets in Sydney and Melbourne. They also have an online ordering facility. Their website shows all belts, pulleys and taper locks with prices.

In my case I was thinking to use a twin 250 mm pulley and taper lock bush. I will run either A or B belts straight off the 600 mm Lister CS flywheel. The ST head needs to run at 1500 RPM to give me 50 Hz. The ratios with 600 mm to 250 mm should have my CS running at around 620 RPM. Probably as close as I am going to get without having a custom pulley made.

In your case I think the decision has been made for you by the drive pulley on the primary mover, unless you want the extra expense of changing it.

Let us know how you get on, lots of pics and questions please.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Hi Bob

Your calcs on the ratio with the belts on the CS flywheel are within an ace of mine, I used a serpentine belt (to a stock pulley) as it's profile fitted  in the space left under the flywheel with the CS bolted onto a bed made with RSJ's. (there's only 10mm or so)

I ended up with 630 ish rpm's, I can load the alternator up until the CS starts 'rolling coal' and there's no chirping or slipping at all. I have no idlers, the tension is adjusted by sliding the alternator back and forth on the bed.

I've not yet run the CS in anger but my feeling is that running 5% or so over the 600rpm will give a little slack when a load kicks in.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 12:08:43 AM »
Its a pitty i can't use a serpentine fan belt from a commodore or falcon and couple of harmonic balancer pulleys.

Brother in law has finally got around to turning me up a shaft and boring the pulleys I gave him 12 months ago. They are for my China Horizontal so I can replace the original small pulley with.... whatever I like really.
There will be a plate which bolts into the OEM 3 holes in place of the original pulley. the plate has a shaft  welded on which is stepped both for 1" and 3/4"  sizes.  Also gave him a serpentine Harmonic balancer from a Subaru he's going to bore and sleeve to fit the 1" shaft so I will have a serpentine output. This will be mainly so I can run the OEM car alts without having to change the pulleys back to V belt. The harmonic size is Right for what I want to run on my induction motor as well so I might either add the harmonic on the end of the taperlock on there now as there is a heap of shaft length or use the taper on something else.

I bought some V belt B pulleys earlier this year and priced the serpentine's. They were 3-4X the cost. I know they are more efficient, quieter, less maintence etc but the cost of the pulleys and the belts is too much for my cheap arse and a cost i'd never regain.  V belts OTOH aren't  bad at all and are cheap and readily available as are the pulleys. I think if one had a lathe, cutting the serpentine's to make your own wouldn't be hard.

That said, a Lot of different cars use them these days so between things like PS pumps, alts and other things as well as idlers, there should be a good supply at any multi brand wrecking yard and they would never sell them otherwise.

I have been running a B belt in an A belt Pulley on my plough. So far working well and no signs of problems.  I like the way it bites right into the A pulley and certainly no loss of grip there although I suspect the torque is very low given the gearing.  Also run B belts off the flywheel of the lister. Surprised how well that gripped and true it ran but there is a LOT of surface area there. I think rope would probably work on that for the size and power output.
I always go for B belts. Not much more than A's and the size and power transmission difference is substantial.  I think that would also translate into better longevity as well if you ever used the things enough where that was an issue.  More likley my purposes are going to need the belt replaced through age and going hard and stiff more than anything else.