Author Topic: Haloween. WTF??  (Read 491 times)

glort

• View Profile
Haloween. WTF??
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:06:02 AM »

Mrs is going out with the girls tonight and won't be home till late.  Looks like it's Fish and chips for Dinner!   Fish shop down the road is great but she won't let me have it too often.

She tells me it's  Haloween.  Yeah, not even sure what that is?  She tells me little children may come to the door dressed up in fantasy costumes asking if I want them to turn tricks or I should give them lollies she has put in a bowl I'm not allowed to eat.  She said be nice to them and not your grumpy self.

What in the hell???  :o

I have NO interest in little kids, don't even really like the snot nosed whiney little buggers especially when there is always one screaming their head off in the shopping centre or at any restaurant I go to.

I know there are a lot of weidos out there and the cops have to catch them but I think this is taking sting operations a bit too far and reaks of entrapment for unsuspecting twits like me who never had a clue about this. In any case, WTF would I want to give them Chocolates and attract them round the place like Seagulls? No thanks!  They can bugger off back to their own homes and annoy the guts out of their own parents.

I'm also now thinking the Mrs wants me out the way seeing SHE bought the chocolates and told me to give them to the small children. Yeah, that would sound legit when the cops arrested me wouldn't it?  " My wife bought the chocolates, went out tonight and told me to give them to any little Kids that came to the door"  Yeah sure Mate, you are going to have at least 10-12 years to be telling that story!

Even I know that's what the low lifes do and has to be illegal right there and could get a person locked up. If she starts talking about us buying a White van and me parking it near schools, I'm out of here! She definitely wants me out the way!!

Maybe she has finally found a decent bloke and has got tired of waiting for me to off myself and the only people she knows that could do the job for her are my mates... some, but maybe not all of whom may have reservations or tell me.
Maybe I better start buying her flowers?

Come to think of it, why is she going out with " The GIRLS" on a week night?  Why are little kids coming to my door at night and in the middle of the week? I smell more than Fish and Chips going on here! Clearly I have some serious marital problems I have overlooked!

Anyone comes knocking at my door tonight and there is no way in hell I'm answering it!!
Certainly won't be giving kids Chocolates at any time when I can sit here and eat them myself. That's another thing, She NEVER buys me any chocolates and when I come home with any myself, I get read the riot act. Any she buys she hides on the lowest shelf in the pantry where I have to get down on my hands and knees to find them. Now she is putting them out in a bowl right on the Coffee table.
I'm thick as 2 Planks but something's definitely not right here!

I know this thing comes from the US but I never realised there were so many weirdos out there praying on Children that they had to have a sting operation this big to catch them. Seems the local cops have taken the idea on here too. 

The motives are good but I sure question the way they are going about catching these low lifes using little kids as bait!!   :-\

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Haloween. WTF??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
Eat a candy now, and if it's doesn't make you high, give the rest away as a preventive measure to repel pranks.

But don't let the gobblins into the house !

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »
here's a pic that illustrates it perfectly

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 01:17:15 AM »

I survived! No kiddies knocking on the door, didn't get caught up in a police sting operation.

Just seems to my like another excuse for an " Occasion" you have to go out and spend money on.  Maybe not all bad in this case, I got a bowl of Chocolates all to myself.  Lets see how my Blood sugar reading go this week!  :embarassed:

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »
Hi Guys, I think Glort raises a valid point about the fears that genuine, honest, heterosexual men now have about being left alone with kiddies or even heterosexual adult women. The problem is that the media have sensationalized these issues because it sells newspapers and fills their arse pockets. For every child or woman who has been abused there are tens of thousands who have not, yet every day I am bombarded with horrific stories of abuse and perversion.

You only need to go to your local school to see the consequences of this: 4 female teachers for every male teacher and that ratio is declining. No man in his right mind would want to become an educator when all the rules are stacked against him. It only takes one pissed off student to make an allegation and your career is over. Years of studying/training down the drain and you still have to pay off your student loans.

Please don`t miss understand me, anyone caught or found guilty of abusing children or women should have their b*lls cut off before being put against a wall and shot.

In most western democracies you are innocent until proven guilty, unless it involves children, women or terrorism. I worry about the survival of the male of our species, I think that modern technology will soon make us all redundant/superfluous. I guess that at my age impotence and sterility are the norm so I shouldn`t worry about it but I do.  :(

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »

Please don`t miss understand me, anyone caught or found guilty of abusing children or women should have their b*lls cut off before being put against a wall and shot.

Precisely and I'd be the first one to put my hand up to do it, seriously.  But goddam I'm sick of the innuendo any bloke gets these days as if we are all sicko freaks.

I'm as perverted as the next ( straight) guy when it comes to pretty women but I will NEVER understand the attraction to kids, especially grown men have for little boys.
I can understand a guy raping a woman, I'd still beat them for an hour a day for the rest of their lives with a rubber hose, but at least I understand the attraction.
To kids?  Why??  I just do not get it  and I'm sure never will.

I have done a lot of work shooting kids.  I'm very aware how people have looked at me at times and what they have thought. I know they look at me wondering if I'm some sort of weirdo( of course a bloke carrying a camera within 100 miles of a kid these days MUST be a sicko pervert)  but they never realise that to me, the honorable thing for a bloke to do would be to fight to the death to protect them (women) and the kid if push came to shove.  I'm not the enemy, I'm their best friend...... As long as they keep the kid under control and don't let it run riot round the place annoying the shit out of me any other time.

As well as kids, it goes to women too.  Couple of years back I was coming home late up a back road and saw a young girl stopped in a bad place on the side of the unlit road with a flat.  I was tired, wanted to get home and didn't want to be having to change tyres  and playing good Samaritan really. I drove on a bit and then I thought I can't just go by, what if it were the Mrs or my daughter? may not be another car through there till morning and its down in the valley so the phone wont work as it doesn't work anywhere there anyway. So I went back, Pulled up and the look on the girls face was almost terror and clearly the body language showed she was scared of me.

I kept my distance and asked if she was OK,  and if I could help? She said she had called her brother and he would be here soon.  I questioned that as the section of road is known to be a mobile dead zone. I told her that and asked if she wanted me to call someone for her when I got further up the road and tell them where she was. NO thanks.  By this time she got her self in the car, discreetly locked the door and talking to me through the top 2" of the window.
What is there to do? Hanging around to make sure she is OK is just going to make her more suspect and scare the shit out of her.   I thought well that's all I can do if she doesn't want help so I left. I wondered if she would be spending the night in the car but I'd done all I could and she would have to work it out herself.

I got up the road to the little town and remembered a cop shop further up from where I would turn off.  I detoured, went in and found someone there much to my surprise.  Told them where she was and that she looked like she thought I was a potential attacker and didn't want any assistance from me so maybe they could go down and make sure she was OK?  A couple of guys were told to go find her and left the same time I did.
Just lucky a friend lived nearby and I knew the area a little and there was a cop shop there.  Otherwise, as when I drove off, all I could do was take it she was OK as she said and leave her alone.

I have been thinking about and being strongly encouraged about getting into family portrait  photography given the area and the literally 70 families a week moving in within 10 KM round here.  I'm sensitive and easily upset around kids anyway these days and that will be hard enough to get over but that innuendo is there and it's ever present  with any bloke these days.  Thankfully, I'd never have to be left alone with them and I'd make damn sure to keep my distance as well.

Friend of mine that is now in child care was telling me the weekend how they are trained if a kid comes up to hug them, they have to turn side on so as to turn their genitals away from the child.  Like FFS!  I don't know what the stats are on 22 Yo girls whom are convicted of Kiddy fiddling but I'll bet they are low enough as to be statistically irrelevant.  Friend who is also well endowed  pointed out the problems with that too in that it is virtualy impossible for her to pick up a child without them contacting her Breasts in some way. She puts them on her hip and guess where the first place their hand goes.
 She was spoken to about that during her assessments.  As she said, easy enough for the flat chested examiner to say but when she asked for the correct procedure and tried it with a doll, it still did not work.  Effectively she is wide open for a neurotic nutter parent to make allegations against her of unprofessional behavior at best and god knows what beyond that.

I know there is a lot of kiddy fiddlers around but not every bloke ( or woman) out there is a sicko although that's the general mind set these days.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
Glort, once again we agree on just about everything. It makes me very angry that we are now in the firing line of the #me too brigade. I am all for equal rights and all that but why does the woman always get the kids, the house, the savings and etc in a divorce, even when they were the guilty party?

I`ll stick with the wonderful wife I have and play with diesel engines till the day I die. I`m all done with pretty young ladies and have no interest in children until they are old enough to get a job and buy me a beer for pointing them in the right direction.

Last week we had the AGM for the Nymboida Camping and Canoe Center. I have been a member for the last five years and do voluntary work to try to keep the only local amenity/employer viable. I got Shanghaied by the other members and now find myself on the board of directors. Before you start to congratulate me I should point out that this is a not for profit organisation and all of the five directors are unpaid.

Before I am allowed to have any contact with the staff, visitors and etc.I have to undergo inductions and police security checks, all at my expense! Looks like being a volunteer in a job I didn`t want or ask for is going to cost me thousands of dollars. No wonder the world is going to hell, while kiddie fiddlers get a short spell in jail with 3 square meals a day!  >:(

Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »
I give the little fcukers sweets apples etc on halloween, they are future taxpayers I might live long enough to get a pension!
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 09:06:36 PM »
#me too

I remember when the now called hashtag (#) was called pound. Puts that phrase in a little different light.  :)

Figured this thread needed a poor attempt at humor.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 10:25:55 PM »
So over the extremes of the "me too" era.  Waiting for the pendulum to swing back just a bit - perhaps enough for some rationality to enter the conversation

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 12:05:26 AM »
Before I am allowed to have any contact with the staff, visitors and etc.I have to undergo inductions and police security checks, all at my expense! Looks like being a volunteer in a job I didn`t want or ask for is going to cost me thousands of dollars.

I don't know what the " Inductions " are or will cost but the police check is about $80-90 Atm. lasts for 5 years.  I had them done before when I was working in the swimming centres doing the Kiddy Pics.  Didn't need one as I was not alone or in supervision of the kids but I got one anyway and was asked Several times for it. I'll get another one before I think about doing family portraits. 
My Daughter got questioned as well but she was still 17 at the time so was OK.  Of course a 17 YO could never be a kiddy fiddler so was exempt from the check but the day she turned 18 she could have turned into a child preying Psychopath and would need to be cleared from being a predator. 

What was amusing and painfully obvious was how the mothers were drooling over my son who was also helping me on the busy Saturdays.  If he had been throwing himself at them the same way they were to him, I'm sure the police would have been called.  EVERYBODY saw it.  Me, his sister, the staff at the pools, even the fathers sitting on the other side of the pool waiting for their kids to do their lessons would occasionally comment to me.   Of course his mother did not know whether to be amused or pissed off.  :0)

As well as the doe eyed looks they would be putting their arms around him as he showed them pics on the back of the camera,  pushing up close, always touching him when they were talking to him and laughing etc.  I got his GF to come and help us at one place and she was in disbelief. Luckily found it very amusing but couldn't believe how these mothers with young kids were behaving especially when a good number had the husbands right there watching. Was pretty funny and of course he was clueless to what was going on but by the same token, had the shoe been on the other foot, he would have been deemed some sort of pervert and thrown out for inappropriate behavior.

Was good for business though. If they are not happy when the pics are taken they will never be happy when they see them no matter how good they may be.  I'd put him on the sales table the next week and again it was pretty obvious.  They would line up literally 7 deep in front of him and anyone else would have 2 people, probably fathers or grandparents in front of them. His sales were ALWAYS higher than anyones including mine even though he had no sales experience or knowledge. We all used to show the various options, I got him to put them in front of them and tell them the price. Often it was OK and hand over the credit card with  a bunch of seemingly innocent chit chat questions which were really quite probing... You still at school, live round here, have a GF, have your own car, what do you do when you aren't doing this??...  yeah right.
 Hand him the credit card and move out the way so he can deal with the next desperate housewife.  >:(

A great deal of this sexism is one sided and it's not what the side the do gooders and whingers complain about. It's hypocritical in the extreme.

I am also looking at going back seriously into the glam work as I know I do it damn well and it's far and away the best money earner for the least effort and expense making it the best business avenue available to me.  My clients never had a problem with me, a lot of them used to tell me a lot of things confusing their photographer with their priest.  I'm not as young as I used to be and the innuendo I got before was enough, now it's a real concern to me. People say since when were you concerned about what people thought? It's one thing to be thought of as a nutter or a wack job, which I am, it's another to be looked at as some sort of sexual predator.  That does worry me. A lot.

I often have my wife doing the communication with prospective clients or I do it and sign it in her name.  That's probably a trait of a creeper as well but the reaction is very Different.  We went to pick a girl up from the station the other week. I made sure the Mrs came with me.
We did the shots and the girl was very happy and not at all shy.  When we were finishing I asked her if she was happy with everything and she obviusly was but put in a very telling comment, "I would have never done this if it was just a guy on his own."

I had done all the communication with her signing my wife's name. Mrs came with me and picked her up then went off shopping while we did the shoot.  when she came back the girl got noticeably more self conscious and  more shy. Only thing the Mrs did was ring her that morning to confirm the time she would be at the station and come with me to fetch her.  I was alone with her the the whole shoot and she was more than happy for just me to drop her off again.

If I had ill intentions and was interested in anything more than her credit card, it would not have been in the least bit difficult to bypass her perceived caution and defenses.

I wish I could find a market in photographing flowers or aircraft or something else that no one would question my motivations for. Unfortunately the great majority of my experience and skill over 30 years has been people Pictures and that has a lot of connotations in many peoples minds now. I can't even shoot a charity ball or a wedding without someone will inevitably make a comment about getting to check out all the hot women dressed up.

Yep, that's why I bust a gut doing that. Noting to do with making a quid or the fact I could go to the races and have a nice day strolling around checking out the women, I come here and work my arse off to do it! Oh, and I happen to bring the Mrs and the kids as well to help me.  ::)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
Hey Glort, my Father in-Law has a great saying about pretty women: "It doesn`t matter how you workup an appetite as long as you eat at home."  :)

With regards to the Nymboida Camping and Canoe Center, I am now a fully inducted member of staff (unpaid).
They now have a ride on lawnmower that works and line trimmer they can use. Took me and an unskilled volunteer less than two hours to sort out the problems. Before they took all non-working machinery to the local small engine guy and paid him to fix it. Hoping I can save them some money. I have to be real careful about how much I do, if I do too much I will be really poorly tomorrow and unable to do what I need doing.

Having spent the morning at the canoe center I then went to a mates property, He has a John Brown/Case tractor that was hydro-locked despite there being no rain and there being a rain cowl on the exhaust pipe. I suspect some sort of deliberate sabotage. I spent four hours talking him through removing and cleaning the fuel injectors. We then spun up the engine and pumped what I believe to have been 5 liters of water out of the cylinders. Re-installed the injectors and bled the fuel lines and she fired up as sweet as.

Really angry that I can`t do this sort of work anymore, but very happy that I can supervise amateurs and still get a good result.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
Hey Glort, my Father in-Law has a great saying about pretty women: "It doesn`t matter how you workup an appetite as long as you eat at home."  :) 

That's what my wife says when people ask her about what I do!

With regards to the Nymboida Camping and Canoe Center, I am now a fully inducted member of staff (unpaid).
It looks a real nice place Bob and the prices for accommodation and hire are very good.
I'd suggest being Visually biased as I am that they could do with more pictures of the facilities on the website as the descriptions sound good so they would probably do well to illustrate them.  Lots of canoe and water pics but more of the actual facilities may help booking if their is provision to increase them.

The other thing I see, and I'm going out on a big limb talking about this to you bob given my well ranted position on the matter, it says Eco tourism but there appears to be little on the site to encourage those looking for such places. I do know it is BIG business now and again, if the place would like to increase it's bookings, that would definitely be an avenue worth pursuing.

That said, You would need to be careful how much you pushed that I think because you may get the Enviro nazis bitching because There is bleached toilet paper in the bathrooms and the bed covers have 30% Nylon which is not a natural fabric and the canoes are Plastic.
Looks like the place has heaps of potential though and with the right promo and marketing could be booked out most the year round.  Dunno about canoeing in winter but still the other facilities could be useful for corporate getaways, team bonding etc.

I got hired a number of times by a similar holiday facility near Newcastle to go up and present Photography workshop weekends. They held these and other things like pottery classes,  painting classes, different workshops and other things in the winter months as attractions in the quiet times.  The guy loved me there as the place always sold out those weekends.  If the bookings  were low in winter, maybe something like this would work too? You only need the accommodation and a place to hold the classes.

Sounds like you have enough to keep you busy there though. be careful or you will be the handyman that's fixing everything. 

Having spent the morning at the canoe center I then went to a mates property, He has a John Brown/Case tractor that was hydro-locked despite there being no rain and there being a rain cowl on the exhaust pipe. I suspect some sort of deliberate sabotage.

I suspect your Friend needs a large dog and a 12 Gauge.  Does he have a feud with neighbors?
At my old place the guy that cut next doors lawn was too lazy to open the gate so would walk up my driveway level with the back of the house and jump the low fence often bringing his mower with him and lifting it over I did ask him nicely several times not to do that but he insisted.  I saw him do it one day so took my Rotweiler whom he also used to gee up through the fence and tied her to the trailer I had parked there.  watched through the window and he was fully over before she came at him.  Bloke filled his shorts.  I put her on a long bit of rope so she could get  the length of the fence where he could get over.

Bit later he is at the front door asking if I can move the dog because he can't get his mower out the yard anywhere  else over the fence.  Being the kind guy I am I told him stiff ship, you set foot in here again and the dog will be least of your worries.  Dunno how he got it out, don't care but suffice to say he never used my place as an access lane again.

I spent four hours talking him through removing and cleaning the fuel injectors. We then spun up the engine and pumped what I believe to have been 5 liters of water out of the cylinders. Re-installed the injectors and bled the fuel lines and she fired up as sweet as.

Low act for someone to do.

Mate of mine did a similar thing with a water injection setup once.  Not sure how he managed it but the WI was straight off the battery not the ignition.  somehow it pumped a  Cylinder FULL of water.  Worked out which one, pulled the GP, spun it over ( doesn't the water come out with a mighty force? )  Put back GP, re connected fuel solenoid and fired up with barely a cough.

Really angry that I can`t do this sort of work anymore, but very happy that I can supervise amateurs and still get a good result.

I feel your Frustration mate.
I'm in another one of my " cycles". This week I have been going to bed earlier ( and falling asleep before that) getting up later with 8-9 hours in the sack and I am still so damn tired  I can barely Function.  Been taking all my handful of pills as per Drs.  orders but this is a joke.
Just one thing then another.  I can't go on like this. Going to have to get something sorted.  Getting me down.  So much to do and zero energy to do it.
I ache all over and the more I try to do to get going and loosen up and get things working, the more I pay for it the next day.
Been scoffing Vitamins, getting out in the sun, eating well.  Not such a worry when you know you have been doing the wrong thing but when you know you haven't....

I'll be working at least 15 hour days next weekend and worried how I'll get through them. Once was a walk in the park, wouldn't have thought about it. now....

I think this will be my last time doing this.  It's too painful on too many levels and pushing myself through it is not working or worth it.
It's been fun but they are just going to have to find someone else that can do it for them.  Surely if I can do it thousands of others can.

But then again.... I have seen what some of the others I have worked with over the years have done and it wasn't exactly outstanding... not that I ever thought what I did was either.   :embarassed:

Least you can stay away long enough to supervise. They might have to come wake me up a few times yet.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 11:16:55 PM »
Hey Glort, sorry to hear you have hit one of your low points at just the time you need to be feeling your best. At least with what I used to do for a living, I can talk someone else through doing the physical work. I can`t see that working with photography, too much artistic talent involved. A photo taken by you would not be the same as one taken by someone else supervised by you. Try to stay positive and take things one day at a time, with a bit of luck you`ll feel better soon.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Canoe Center. The biggest problem we have is that we own all the buildings and infrastructure but the freehold on the park is owned by Essential Energy. We have been negotiating to take over the land but big corporations move at the pace of a striking sloth. Without the freehold it is impossible to raise capital from any of the banks, so we have to work within our cash flow. In the last 12 months revenue is up by 30% (a remarkable achievement for a bunch of volunteers). Sadly profitability on turn over is down. This is largely due to the increased wear and tare on infrastructure and the associated maintenance cost. I guess I am going to be kept busy trying to reduce those costs.

We are aware of the limitations of our website and are hoping to make some improvements. Other than canoeing, we offer quite a range of training courses mostly targeted at the Volunteer Rescue Association and State Emergency Services. We are always looking for ways to improve the services we offer but Rome was not built in a day. Thank God for the Grey Nomads that spend their retirement traveling and camping all over Australia, they keep the money rolling in.

Love your idea of wildlife photography courses. Nymboida is largely unspoiled and is one of the only places you can still see platypus in the wild.

We don`t get much choice about the environmental sensitivity. We are part of the water catchment area for Grafton so the Local Authorities monitor us 24/7.

Regarding the vandalism of my mates tractor, there`s no shortage of fruit loops living locally. They range from the alcoholic through mildly psychotic and heavily medicated to Doomsday Prepers with machine guns. It`s never dull in a small community.  :laugh:

Look after yourself,

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 12:58:20 AM »

I have done a lot of marketing, sales and promotion for small businesses and my specialty in that is called Guerilla Marketing.  In a nut shell, it's like me, Cheap.  There are a LOT of ways to promote any business for little money. You get the turnover up and then self fund.  Seems to me from what i can see there are a lot of facilities there and it should not be hard to grown the business organically.

Not sure you what they are thinking of loans for but I'd be looking at the turnover the place does now and getting that up first. even if outside financing is needed for bigger projects, the banks will be a lot easier to approach if they can see the thing is cooking and hitting a ceiling rather than have no idea if it will fly or not.  Of course not owning the land is a big hurdle.

You should be able to get the website improved without spending a lot of money. Site builders often charge stupid coin for what they do. I used to do all my own sites but that was back a while and it's all changed and moved a bit fast for me now. I'm lucky to have a mate that is a genius ( certified) and becomes an expert ant any thing he touches. He decided to do his own sites and has done some of the best and high level sites I have ever seen. Thankfully he is happy to do mine... whenever I pull my finger out and give him some content to work with.

Maybe you could find someone to volunteer their services.  A good way to give people a bit of an incentive is to make a page on the site called Friends of or supporters of and then list the companies and have a link to their sites.

I'm not sure I will be up before Xmas as I planned but when I do get up in the new year I'd be happy to go out there with you and shoot some pics for a few hours for them to use.  A gallery and testimonials page on the site would be great marketing too.  Best thing of all is to get people to do Videos.  Anyone can fake glowing written testimonials. We have all seen the testimonials from F . Bloggs of wherethefukarwe, smalltown, never heard of place,  but having people shoot a clip is a whole different ball game and the credibility and rapport building is incomparable. They are there, you can see them, hear them and relate to them. They are real and beyond suspicion.
If you got someone like the head of the local SES or cops or whoever uses the place to do a 10-15 second clip, that would have huge pull as well.

These days it's all about the " Who you know" thing so  people will put a lot of cred on the people you show in testimonials etc.

You may also be able to get a local printer to do you some brochures for the local tourist information centre. They aren't expensive to have printed now anyway.  I would thing the place already has a lot going for it and all you are really needing to do is an awareness campaign.  Your reach will be better farther afield than just local but there is probably value in letting the local community know about the place as well for WOM marketing. To this end something like an open day would be good or even a " Try Canoeing" event.

You don't have to spend big money to get good promo, just thing out of the box and define the target market clearly so you can focus the marketing initiates rather than just do lazy " Shotgun" approaches that hit everyone but have a low yield. 

Must as I have a personal dislike for them, Social media would also be huge for a facility like this and a Facewaste and Insta page would have good potential as well.  People can up load their own pics and comments and of course that also exposes people whom are friends and may not of otherwise heard of the place. I hadn't but looks like a place I would be happy to go now I have.

If the grey Nomads are a frequent client, they are easy to target because there are plenty of sites aimed at them.  Really just needs someone with a little time to sit at the computer and do the grunt work.  Write out your blurb, have the pics and create a  banner and other formatted ads and just spread them round.

Another powerful way to target your market is do surveys. When people book or check in , have 3-4 questions you ask.   Would you be interested in coming back for a
 Painting- massage- Pottery- evniro awareness weekend? Find where the major interest is and make it happen.
You will be amazed at what you can learn.

When ever I do a tradeshow type booth I always have a Competition running they fill in their contact details for and fill in a 4 question survey. I keep it short so there is no resistance to it but I might print 3 different forms.  that way I can get the answers to 12 questions but I don't make it a drudgery, it's fast and easy and they don't have to stand around long.

The travel show in Brisbane could be an excellent avenue down the track a bit. It costs but the pull can be massive.
I did it about 12 years ago for a photographer mate in Brisbane. The target market was similar to what he was after so being a photographer in a travel show was something different and made it stand out.  It was well patronized so we killed it to the point he was panicking how he was going to handle all the work.  He managed! :0)

It's not what you spend on a promo it's what you get in the returns.  Trade shows are VERY easy Money -IF- you use the right formula and target the audience.  I book shows and leave it till the last minute to book. Like a day or 3 before. They nearly always have vacant stands or last minute cancellations and the last thing an organiser wants is a vacant stand. they might want $2K for a booth. I'll offer them $400. they will tell me often to stick it then usual hours or a day later come back and say OK, we'll take it. I'm all set up ready to go so I do the setup the day before or morning of and am laughing. I'll usually get a stand no one else wants ( because they all have this stupid idea they need to be right at the door and be the first ones people see as they come in.

I'll be right up the back with the stand lit up like Christmas, the music pumping and a High banner hanging overhead with spotlights trained on that. They see the squash at the door, say bugger that and guess where they head and start from?  ;D Works every time.

No doubt there is already a Database of previous visitors so that should be the first thing to be hit.  Do a return visitors special for the quiet times.  Don't discount but value add, 3 nights for the price of 2.  If weekends are booked but weekdays are not, Giving a Monday night away say is zero cost but a value to the client.  Book 3 Nights, get one days canoe Hire free.  That sort of thing. The place has limited openings so the trick is to not just have them filled over Christmas but keep the bookings consistent all year round.

Even the little I can, see the place has so much going for it and it should neither be hard nor take long to crank it up without spending much at all.

Sounds like plenty to keep you busy Delegating Bob!