Author Topic: PETTER PH2 engine - oil not reaching the tappets  (Read 5536 times)

BuilderBob

• View Profile
PETTER PH2 engine - oil not reaching the tappets
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
Hi

I have recently reconditioned a PETTER PH2 engine.  I replaced the oil pump, pistons, rings, etc. and had the injectors and pumps recalibrated.  The problem I’m having is that there is no oil going to the top of the engine via the oil pipe on the side of the engine to lubricate the tappets.  I find this quite strange as I fitted a new oil pump. 

The supplier of the pump mentioned that I should have primed the pump before installation.  Could this be my problem?  Or must I look elsewhere?  I’d also like to mention that the motor runs and when hand-cranking it the oil is definitely reaching the bearings as I checked this with the side covers off. 

Can anybody assist me, please? 

guest23837

Re: PETTER PH2 engine - oil not reaching the tappets
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:37:02 PM »
Is the oil feed pipe blocked?

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:43:08 PM »
What are the chances the lower oil points are hogging all the oil and none is getting all the way up to the uppers ?  Can you squirt oil into the top and see if it comes out the lowers ? 
Does it just fill up and spill over like a line is plugged ?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 10:42:37 PM »
Some manufacturers put a restriction in the feed pipe to reduce the flow to a trickle. This is often something as simple as a length of wire inside the pipe. Any dirt or debris from your rebuild work could have caused a blockage. Can you remove the pipe and blow it through with an air line?

Bob

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
/\ This is exactly the case with the Petter PH engine range.

Suggest that you remove the oil feed rocker pipe at its origin, and observe the flow from the fitting that the banjo bolt screws into (Petter part no 264c).

If you see little or no oil coming out of this fitting with the engine running, then remove item and clean it out, as this is where the restriction can be found.

BuilderBob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »
Hi everybody.  Thank you very much for all your advice!  I will go through you various recommendations and come back to you.

BuilderBob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »
Hi all

Many thanks, I seem to have resolved the problem.  I basically went through all of the things that you gave me.  I think the problem lay with a blocked oil feed somewhere.  I even went so far as to remove the oil pump to check if there are any obstructions there.  I reassembled everything and I've got oil coming out before the restrictor.  This is with the spring and the restrictor device removed.  It's pumping very strongly. 

This brings me to the last item I need some advice on.  Which way is this restrictor device orientated?  I've attached a photograph of the item as I cannot find any photographs in the workshop manual showing me this.  In other words, which side faces the engine block?

Thanks in advance.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 11:40:01 AM »
Hi Builderbob, I don`t know this engine but as a general rule spring loaded oil valves are designed to allow oil to pass on the pressure stroke from the pump, while preventing it from flowing back until the next pressure pulse. So the spring should be at the output end.

I am a little concerned that the assembly in the photo doesn`t have any sealing parts. I would expect to see a taper on the end of the shaft or a ball bearing as a sealer in a tapered hole that the shaft presses on. Please check to see that there isn`t a ball bearing floating about in the sump.

Bob

BuilderBob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »
Hi Bob

I managed to strip the banjo bolt on another PETTER engine and got the correct orientation of the spring and the piston.  The spring is on the input side, followed by the piston.  I would also have guessed it to be the other way around, but everything is functioning okay now.  I didn't find signs of any ballbearing or sealing device in the other one as well, but hopefully they aren't floating around in the system somewhere.

Thanks for your help!

Builderbob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Hi BuilderBob, very glad to hear you got things sorted. If you are anything like me: old and decrepit with failing memory and etc, get yourself a camera or use your smartphone to catalog every stage of a tear down. You will then have a visual reminder when you come back to it weeks or months later. Modern tech is great but is still open to human failings. Today I took a lot of photos without a memory card in the camera. Think I may be the guy needing a new memory card! :laugh:

Bob

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 05:05:03 AM »
Forgive me for the amature question, I have only had the block, head and injection pump off the engine .
   Is the image of # 1 an oil pressure relief valve . #2 an oil pump that pushes oil with the cam and the spring ensures the pump plunger to follow the lobe #3 an oil pump that functions similr to the low pressure fuel pump . The lobe pushes the plunger and spring away, with the spring pushing the plunger and this the oil . With a max oil pressure limited by the spring pressure .