Puppeteer

Author Topic: Taming the Beast or Hushing A 195 Please Help  (Read 407 times)

old seagull man

• View Profile
Taming the Beast or Hushing A 195 Please Help
« on: October 08, 2018, 05:34:31 AM »
Its now running happily, and waiting for its gen head to arrive.

So its time to change the quality air filter unit, for something quieter, and maybe plastic to it wont resonate.
And to get a little  better muffling, there is a hospital silencer at work, but that's from a 22 liter Volvo so its over kill.

So tell me what you have learned.

Do you love your 195, or was it a big mistake? So far mines been good, but its only early days.

Had thought it might look good with a classic Furgie exhaust, like the old TEA 20 we had for years. Lol.
Give it some British, class.

I had also been wondering what it would be like using a modern car or bike air box, I Know it is not classic diesel, but there are millions of them and if i picked something common i would never run out of air filters.?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:39:27 AM by old seagull man »

glort

• View Profile
Re: Taming the Beast or Hushing A 195 Please Help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:45:46 AM »

I think Intake noise is Greatly underestimated on these engines. I know both of mine make far more racket from the intake than the exhaust.

Car intakes have a lot of time put into them to make them quiet now and tune the resonance out of them. That's why they have all these weird and Wonderful shapes and chambers that go no where.  I have seen it said that a good way to likk intake noise it to put a new muffler oer the intake and a filter on the end of it.  Makes sense.

4WD 's, particularly older ones like on highlux'es  had large filters that went in sealed  and well ducted airboxes designed to keep out water and spin out dust as well.  I have used these and found them very good.  Also mofidied engines to take common Commodore airboxes and filters.  Houseing is cheap, filters Really cheap.

As long as the element is well enclosed and there  is a good length of Duct going to it, they are loads better than teh little OEM engine filters which are really just to keep the rain off the element and have a straight through pauth of mayb 2 Cm to the element and the inlet tract.  That's where the Noise comes from. You can hear how much noise the intake generates by wrapping a rag around it when the engine is running. The difference is dramatic.

Given the airflow of a car engine and that of a lister, Unless you are running the thing 24/7, I'd think that the airfilter from a vehicle man NEVER need changing. Certainly own't if you use one of those Canister 4WD types! They have huge filtration area!

The Fergie exhaust should work fine.  I have used a car muffler on my lister and it made the thing near silent in the exhaust dept.  Any over size muffler will be effective although the fergie one seems like the hot rod glass packed style which may just take the sharpness off the exhaust pulses rather than actually silence the thing.

What you really want is to slow the gas speed and smooth the pressure waves for ultimate quiet.

If you want it quiet as possible, go with a car muffler. If you want it not to be over the top but maybe interesting to run at shows or even in the yard, then the fergie muffler should be fine. How it will go into the ultimate silence Category I don't know but surely won't be any louder than the original.

The 2 Horizontal Cyl China Diesel engines I have are definitely my favorites out of a growing collection.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 12:08:47 PM »
A poster once said that the Chinese diesels turn 1/2 the fuel into power and the other half into noise  :D

They will make more noise than a slower running engine no matter what but  improvements can be made.  Best solution probably depends on where the generator is located and if you need to be nice to neighbors.  Back when there was a lot of those engines being used people reported success with intake silencers that were intended for air compressors, there was particular brand name mentioned but it has left me.  In my case the 1115 set is located inside my shop and is close 200 feet from the house and I have no neighbors to worry about.  Originally I just had the OEM intake filter on it but the noise inside the shop was deafening.  I simply ran the intake outside and ran a 10' length of pipe up and placed the OEM air cleaner on top of it.  That cost very little, reduced the noise in the shop a lot and the increase in noise  outside is pretty much unnoticeable because it is up in the air.

All that being said  if the set is located near the house and you want little to no disturbances while running you probably have the wrong power unit unless you spend a lot of effort and $$ on the exhaust, intake and enclose it in a sound proofed hut.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:11:29 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 12:11:11 AM »
Just my 2 cents on noisy reduction. I once worked on a ship with an engineroom of just over 100 Db, Thats enourmous believe me. Even with hearing protection thats not legal. So a team came and they just covered all walls and sealing with rockwool. Nice slabs of rockwool. You could almost take your protection off, amazing. the guy told me we can silence everything. he said just use a labyrinth you can kill any noise.
At home xperimenting with my lister , I could kill the exhaust noise but some deep bass bum bum would remain, you could feel it in your body when you got near the pipe.
I made a 3 chamber labyrinth box , 1,50/0,70/0,70 more or less and the engine is so without any sound it is almost disappointing. Even if you put your ear on the exhaust there is no sound at all.

If you use a spacious box and let the sound run dead in a rockwool labyrinth you will be amazed. For any sound intake or exhaust.

If you look at the lister start o matic setup they have a simillar advice, a labyrith in the ground, big mass that will not rebound any vibration and redirect it a few times and it's  huss.

gr bernhard

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 02:04:15 AM »

There are 2 ways to make a 195 quiet.
1] Slow it down
2] Add a car muffler

Here is my Slow Speed 195 project which was started because I wanted to reduce the noise from the 195 before my neighbors had a chance to complain.

Both methods were required in order to get a substantial noise reduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOhg1Q1rd6E

cheers,
Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 02:11:12 AM »

... and here is where I slowed down a 190 to 1000 rpm.
Additional flywheel weight and a lighter governor spring were used.
This project made for a very quiet Changfa generator.
However, one must accept a much reduced kw output from the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZS-nrk7Eh4

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »

Love that mounting frame!
Simple, light and effective!

Running an engine at reduced load and revs is a very wide practice in industry. May think diesels have to be run hard and loaded otherwise problems occur but that is simply not true.  Industrial engines are often given a power range and power at specific RPM. An engine may be capeable of 400 HP and if you want to de rate it to 100Hp, that's fine. On modern engines that can be done on the computer and the revs kept up as well if you need. On older engines  they just reduce the Revs and you gear the output if need be.

As the revs decrease so does the HP so if you are turning 1000 RPM instead of 2600 your power is down but if the load you are applying matches that output at that speed, then the engine is loaded and working and won't glaze up or have other problems as many proclaim.  Engines in industry wherever possible are over sized and de rated so they are less stressed and last longer.

Nothing wrong with under running an engine.  Yes there is a power trade off but if the output matches the load, you are doing the engine a service not a detriment.

Personally I always like to under drive an engine speed wise. Run the engine slow, gear it up and use the torque to get where you want.  :D

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »
Thank you every one for you most helpful input.
I wish the genhead would get here and i could get on with it.

Love that mounting frame!
Simple, light and effective!
So do I, Veggie whats the material called and were dose it come from? Please.
I almost reminds me of scaffolding.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 07:33:11 PM »

It's known as Uni strut here mate. Their head office is Just down the road from me.

https://www.unistrut.com.au/

There are a couple of Knockoff brands as well. This is a locally made one and is compatible in what I have used of the 2 brands.

https://www.ezystrut.com.au/

There are others, they do alternatives in aluminium and even carbon fibre. Not sure of their compatibility but I believe there are other brands in steel although not sure if they are sold in Oz.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »
Thanks mate, don't you ever sleep. lol.

I found you an icon for this forum.
Hope you like it.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 08:29:32 PM »
Thanks mate, don't you ever sleep. lol.

No, not very well. When I do I usually have nightmares anyway.
This morning got woken by the dog who generally sleeps on the bed with us.  She was barking which is rare. Let her out and she went tear arsing down the side, pretty sure in hot pursuit of a fox. Disappeared for a while then came back all happy.
Made a cuppa and here I am.

I found you an icon for this forum.
Hope you like it.

Yes, thanks.  Now all I have to do is work out how to attach it to my profile.  Looked in my account setting but couldn't find anything. More research needed.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 04:15:36 AM »
 ;D See the PM
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:28:03 AM by old seagull man »

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »

Thanks!
I was close but Fumbling round there like a chook on a greasy plate and somehow missed the one thing I needed. 
Kinda goes against the avatar but anyway.