Author Topic: aswamegh should I buy  (Read 412 times)

saba

• View Profile
aswamegh should I buy
« on: October 05, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »
It's really amazing. For years there's nothing for sale... and then it rains. I was not looking for engines I have more then enough but I came across a listeroid 6-1 from 2010. it came from a tugboat they say. Asking price 300euro. It looks ok on the pictures except there's a hose from the crankcase breather to the intake manifold. And the starter handle is knackered.
The say they don't know it runs they just took it out of the tug.......allready gives you a feeling. They manage to lift 300kgs from a tug but don't manage to start it...

I am in doubt to make a rediculous offer but I have this gut feeling I am going to be stuck with it. Could be the first time in my lister history I made a few bucks on an engine or I need a new crankshaft ... or else and am stuck with another lump of steel.

Just to remind you, in theory I can have a 8 cilinder cs running, thats enough I suppose, with three of the cilinders being in very bad shape.

If I buy it is just to pass it on. If I can...
And for the coming time I don't really have time to work on engines.

Greetings Bernhard

glort

• View Profile
Re: aswamegh should I buy
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 11:29:21 PM »

Don't rush in, wait a week, see how you feel.
If it's then gone, decision was made for you. if it's still there, offer 100. If they knock it back, make another offer in another week. 

I have a simple philosophy on things like this, Never buy unless I -KNOW- I can get more for it than what I paid with the right advertising.
Also never take the price advertised for. most people just pull a price out their nether regions based on what they think it's worth and of course it's always worth more to them than anyone else. Ask yourself if I were trying to SELL it at theat price what would my chances be?  Bought quite a bit of stuff now for 10% of what the initial ask was and more than I could count at under 50%.

Of course I have lost 20X what I have bought but that brings me to my old  tried and well proven axiom,  " You can't win unless you are prepared to loose. "
If you think you have to have it, you'll never be able to negotiate a good price. If it's just to onsell and you don't really care either way, that's when you can wheel and deal.

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »
Thanks glort for your reflection. The engine is wrongly advertized. Lets say a motorcycle in the bicycle section. It's for sale for over a week. And I was thinking about 100. And it's an half hour drive...
I'llgive it a few days...

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 11:38:39 PM »
Just for the info gor a reply fixed price, so I am good no more engines....for now.

Bernhard

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »

Yeah, I have been told 20 times , That's the price, not going to accept any less...... and like the engine last week, they then get back to me a few weeks later and say " you still interested?"  Or I send them a lower price than what I first offered and they accept or at worst come back with the initial offer.

Wait a week or 2 then go back and offer again and see what they say.

Just got back from buying an engine with a mate.  Seller wanted  $750. Knocked mate back on offer 16 days ago.  Did some wheeling and dealing and guy said he would think about it. Told him nicely, don't think too long, it took over an hour to get here and will be longer going home, we won't be back.
 Only got him down to $400 but better than nothing. Mate needed this now hard to come by engine for his machine so wasn't one we could afford to loose but he was still happy with what we managed to knock off it.  Course mate had the $750 with him because he wasn't going home without it but now he's taking Mrs and I out to dinner on sat night and will still be in front.  :0)

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 12:55:28 AM »
hey glort,

To be honoust I think 300E or 350 us dollar is not to much for a listeroid, if I visit i can judge if it is scrap or still has live. To be honoust I think it is hardly used.
There's a small company here that once ordered a bunch of these engines they still have a few new in box. This is one off them succesfully put on the market.
I have to much engines so I am not in need of other projects. Just if the oppertunity is there I cannot resist.
I'll wait and hope somebody else buys it....

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 02:33:06 AM »

No mate, I don't think it's too much either, bargain probably.
Not really where I am coming from though. To me buying is a game just like and the opposite of sales.  I know sales and I have always said, the best part about learning how to sell is it teaches you how to buy.

The price is irrelevant to me, I like the thrill of the sport of bargaining things down. the more I do it, the more I enjoy it.
There is a real psychological factor to it as well and always having an interest in that, adds to the buying appeal.

I buy stuff now with the sole intention of moving it on for a profit. I don't do much else to earn a quid so it's an income as well. I have been surprised to learn I can buy in one place far cheaper than I can in another which means selling  there is the way to go.  Why things, ( used goods) are so much cheaper on one site yet get so much higher prices on another and I can buy on one and sell on the other for a profit still amazes me.

Mate and I have for years bought stuff we really don't need but comes in handy. If it's a giveaway price, then we can afford to have it for the very occasional use it may get. Funny thing is, we tend to use these things a lot more than we thought and often much more than the things we taught we had a real need for and then don't use!   :embarassed: