Author Topic: Something to get us depressed old farts going  (Read 397 times)

glort

• View Profile

Johndoh

• View Profile
Re: Something to get us depressed old farts going
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 07:11:17 PM »
NO AC/DC or Slim Dusty or KBW and you included u2? theyre wankers
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »

Exactly!! Never understood the U2 fascination, I still don't care for them.

This though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUXMzkh-jI 

Bon Scott was the man.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »

Exactly!! Never understood the U2 fascination, I still don't care for them.

This though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUXMzkh-jI 

Bon Scott was the man.

to me U2 = short arse in heels preaching and looking for Irish people, the tax payers, to dig deep whilst the whole band are domiciled offshore for tax reasons. Plus the "music" seems to have been composed by a BBC model B computer on autopilot dreadful stuff. Bon was the man!

sirpedrosa

• Just another day hoping hear that sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 10:56:17 PM »
Good tones

It makes remember that time o "pirates radio", where anyone created an antenna and a transmitter.

Some of this tones bust tracks because the millage in the turntable.

Now it becames a page in de FB after 30+ years.

Vinyl Memories.

VP
Bernard 18A - 1968

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 11:10:32 PM »

Asking for Ac/DC?
I'm impressed.  We're not all as dead as I may have thought!

I remember my daughter when she was about 3 asking for me to put on her "special" Music. So excited when I put on  Highway to hell and could amaze people by singing it word for word.
When my son was younger and couldn't sleep, he'd want a bottle and bring me the " Doggie Music" CD to play for him.  It was a heavy metal CD and had this  Drawing of a beast from hell on a studded Collar snarling and drooling at the large chain.
Mrs would get up at 2am to find the me with the young bloke going off to sleep to Smoke on the water or ZZtop  on the stereo that wasn't as quiet in the back room as I assumed.

Always had music playing loud at home when the kids were babies.  People would come Visit and be amazed we had the stereo pounding and the kids would be sound asleep in the next ( or same) room.
I learnt a long time before I was married it was what kids were used to that put them to sleep and trying to be quiet was tying a noose round ones own neck.  NEVER quiet in our place and the kids never had a problem waking up to noise.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 11:19:25 PM »
I was lucky enough to see AC/DC with Bon Scott in London 1978. Still rate it as the best concert I ever went to. Even beats Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Terrible shame Malcolm Young now has dementia.

Bob

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 11:20:32 PM »
AC/DC in the Glasgow Apollo 1978 best live show it became "if you want blood" live album.  Yes Glort some of us are old rockers the rolling part is a distant memory. I was talking to my mate recently he just joined a dating site his partner died 3 years ago. He was talking excitedly about the good looking women on the site until I pointed out that the women that MIGHT sleep with him or me are grandmothers! Kinda took the wind out of his sails for a second or 2 but his rolling days are mostly over too.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 11:26:27 PM »
I was lucky enough to see AC/DC with Bon Scott in London 1978. Still rate it as the best concert I ever went to. Even beats Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Terrible shame Malcolm Young now has dementia.

Bob

Sadly Malcolm passed away almost a year ago

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 11:29:14 PM »
Think this might be closer to the truth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3YrV-k4lw

Bob

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
Here is an Aussie I just recently came across. Has a pretty good '80's vibe about it for being fairly recent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaXoUIOwpG8

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 02:06:02 AM »
I saw Yothu Yindi in (2003?) in Sydney at the Harley-Davidson 100th birthday bash (something of a sad sham) they were fronting for "Barnsey" and they made him look like the tired old stager he was, too.  They should have been top of the bill IMHO

Bottom of the Bill should be U2.  Talked about tired, uninspired, insincere . . . . I am so tired of Bozo saving the world.

However - if you want to see composition and arrangement in live action around what is a very good piece of Rock Music in the first place - check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrTMc2i6Lzc

The wonderful irony, of course, is that Mr Clapton, playing the guitar here, was shagging the girl for whom George wrote the song at the time . . .

Check out the lineup  :)

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »
+1 for AC/DC !!!!!!!
Yes us Hillbillys love us some Aussie bands. Effing U2 is KILLING me! Please don't make me listen to where the streets have no name anymore!
Gimme some Thunderstruck!
Ron
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 05:42:40 AM »

One of my favourite music memories will be seeing Doc Neeson and the Angels playing the 3rd last Gig he ever did.
Guy was 62 or 67 and rocked just as hard as when I had seen him 30 years earlier.  I commented to the mrs we were probably the youngest people at the gig but it was great.

I read reviews later from smart arse music writers who probably weren't even born when doc was already a legend about him having to take a break towards the end of the gig to have some Oxygen he had to take with him as a result of injuries he had got years earlier in a car accident. I wondered if these smart arse little prats had even been there to see the effort he put into the performance  and knew bloody well few others and certainly not them could match it at any age.

Went to book another concert and was going to go up the coast with friends to see another one but they were cancelled when it was discovered he had cancer.  Brilliant performer and another that the likes of will never be seen again.
Like others, I'm surprised when my daughters friends know all this music and go off to it at parties as well. My daughter says I'm a dinosaur and the music I like is too old but when I put on what I like when her friends are around, they all get up and reckon I have great music taste.

I was talking to my mate recently he just joined a dating site his partner died 3 years ago. He was talking excitedly about the good looking women on the site until I pointed out that the women that MIGHT sleep with him or me are grandmothers! Kinda took the wind out of his sails for a second or 2 but his rolling days are mostly over too.

I have to admit, I have always been amazed at how blokes can be picky over women, particularly their looks for the ultimate goal of copulation, but never for a second take into account the same aesthetic parameters of how they would appeal to them.
The question to me is never if you would want her but rather she would want a thing to do with you?

Never been a problem for me, never exactly been women fighting over me and I found the only woman my age that i'd be interested in now and sure as hell the only woman that would be interested in me these days.  I have also always laughed at the amount of times I have been questioned about any " flings" I might have had with the women I have worked with.  Again, they are young and attractive for the most part, for what reason in the world would they be interested in some bloke a min 10 years older back in the early part and now often older than their fathers?  Too many guys have overly active imaginations and shortages of reality I think.

I hit the triple jackpot in that my wife does not at all look her age and constantly amazes people when they find out how much older she is than they thought. In recent years she has motivated herself to loose a lot of weight and now is looking like she did in her 20's. She is a lot healthier than I am as well thank god. Still the very feisty red head though.  If she ever wakes up to herself and ditches me for a decent bloke, I'm definitely going to spend the rest of my time on my own.  No woman that would ever be interested in me  would have me interested in them for their poor judgement  straight off. Then again, grew up on my own and never had much problem with my own company so not the worst thing that would have every happened to me when all said and done.
She would probably be a lot better off though.

I was only discussing a friend with a mutual mate last night.  Was with a fantastic girl for 18 years and broke up with her last year when she discovered he'd had multiple flings with other women.  mate and I suspected something because nothing else in his behavior made any sense.  He never told us and still hasn't because he would have known we'd have kicked his stupid arse.
I commented to other mate that  our Romeo Friend did not exactly strike me as being a chick magnet and I was surprised he could hook up with anyone let alone Multiples.
Mate pointed out that we had not seen whom he had been with but had a fair idea of what they might be like in looks and personality.

Visions of women who drove Mining trucks or Kick started Jumbo jets with flat batteries immediately came to mind.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 05:43:53 AM »

Never realised U2 was so unpopular!
I don't get into the politics, I just liked some of their tunes.