Author Topic: New engine and parts from India  (Read 6748 times)

saba

• View Profile
Re: New engine and parts from India
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »
You don't happen to have a crankshaft laying around.....

guest23837

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 11:48:50 PM »
Nothing for a CS but you can buy a running 6/1 for about £400.00 in the UK, postage, paperwork and red tape would be horrifying. Did you try diesel g man on this site he sells diesel engines and parts he might even have some NOS engines

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 12:24:15 AM »
Hey John, I know about the Uk I've bought my first two overthere. Here in holland it's a bit all or nothing most of the time there's nothing for sale and all of a sudden there's three at once. Thats also the reason I have to much engines. There is no demand so if it is a steal I cannot help myself.
When I was realy looking there was zip in holland for more then a year so I turned to ebay and by accident bought two. (i learned about auto bidding). Went to the Uk with my trailer and then the fun started.

Also for folks interested sometimes there are also JP engines for sale for almost free(ok my opinion). If somebody is interested I can pas the information on or just put it here on the forum.
Ok just had a look JP4 30 km from my house 1250 in euro's if you bid 750 you got it.

But fact remains if I order the parts from india by airmail it would be an absurd expensive engine.
If you find say 5 people in a 400km radius around you and every february of the year you can place your orders. When it is in the continent after that you can ship it around tax free.
I think I would have a 200/300 dollar order each year if I had the chance.

But if somebody is into jp engines there is at least 3 or so for sale each year and nobody is bidding. And just hear the sound. Amazing.

Greetings Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 01:41:56 AM »
Just thinking to start taking apart the 16/2, doesn't take much time and it will reduce the weight a bit, need to move it to a new location promptly.
I'll post some pictures off the disection.

Another thing I was thinking about a high pressure cleaner with sandblasting, anyone experiance with it...

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
Pressure washer is a great tool for cleaning old engines, a sand blaster is not! The one thing you are trying to avoid when rebuilding any sort of engine is abrasives. Yes it will do a great job of removing old paint, rust and etc but you will have to put in the hours after to ensure total cleanliness, before reassembly. I think it`s quicker and safer to use degreaser and a pressure washer.

Bob

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 12:09:31 AM »
Hey hello, I meant you have like an add on for your highpressure cleaner so you suc up grid and blast it with the water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y9sXOe8Rz4

At least it doesn't give the mess.

I spend a lot of time with my VA to get it in  a ready to paint state. I didn't think about it at that time..

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 12:41:19 AM »
16-2 magnetic piston update.

I need to trim the engine down for weight a bit to move it to my new location and I am curious what to find......first some pictures...

Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 01:20:17 AM »
Ok here the update,

I've been busy with my new garage put a 65m2 atic in it and now slowly moving my stuff overthere. Most of my engines are allready there. The 16-2 is a bit heavy for the old trailer and I was really anxious to have a look inside...
So took the heads of with the watercooled injectors, didn,t open that yet, and had a look inside the cilinder. Could clearly see where the piston rings been sitting for years explaines why the guy filled the engine with oil to get some compression. So far so good.
Took the first piston out, big end bearing worn out pretty much, Thats a funny piston.......... especially the scraper ring tsss...
Ok next block.. I could not get the piston out...the big end is bigger than the bore of the liner... Took them of together. On the crankshaft you can see the imprint of the bearings this engine has been sitting for  many years.

So on one cilinder a piston with a scraper ring that has enourmous play, you can almost fit two, the other piston they left it out. I have the feeling it's a prehistoric cs piston that didn't use scraper rings ?. I have two different piston rods with one not passing the bore.

At least the crankshaft looks in a reasonable shape, 2 flywheels. Should be able to build something out of this.

If somebody has ideas about the pictures and the parts I really like to hear the opinions and ideas.

Greaatings Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 01:21:50 AM »
pictures

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 10:17:12 AM »
Hi Bernhard, welcome back and congratulations on your new building, wish I had one.

If you look very carefully at the photo of the cylinder (first photo), it looks like this cylinder may have a wet liner in it. these can be easily pressed out and a new one installed. this will save you a lot of money on machining and etc.

Looks overall like it has done a lot of work and had long periods in between when water, condensation and the byproducts of combustion have eaten into the cylinder liners.

The tops of the pistons look to be corroded and pitted as well, the sides of the pistons and also the cylinders show a lot of scoring,

Bearing shells are past praying for but as long as the crank journals are OK you should be able to get it running without too much expense. Doubt the miss matched con rods would help with the balance.

Looks to me like this is a typical case of casting sand migrating into the oil and causing premature failure. Recommend you strip it and clean the inside before you consider rebuilding.

Bob

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
Hey Bob did you notice the freeze plug in the bottem of the  cilinder block. I was also looking at the liners, that would be nice if they are wet liners. Size is 115.6mm liner and 115.4 piston. standard is 114mm so somebody been busy with it.
Some strange parts in this engine.

Bernhard

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2019, 11:16:50 PM »
Hi Bernhard, I hadn`t noticed the freeze plug, the mystery deepens. On original CS engines the cylinder bore extends past the bottom flat face of the cylinder block by more than half an inch, yours appears to be flush. I am concerned that the bottom oiler rings on the piston will be very close to exiting the cylinder altogether at BDC.

115.6 mm is about 60 thou oversize, I have never heard of anyone making a plus 60 thou piston. The standard cylinder is 4 1/2 inch (114.32 mm), the next larger standard size would be 4 5/8 inch (117.5mm) Please see repair liner PDF attached.

I guess that who ever did the modifications knows some things we don`t.

Bob

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 01:51:47 AM »
Posted a picture from the water cooled injector head, A picture of the rods with pistons, put a normal piston in the middle for the contrast. One rod is wider at the big end, but if you tilt it it passes the cilinder.

And Bob you got a good point with the scraper ring, should do some measuring.
To be honoust I am totally not familliar with all the oversizes, has also to do with the inch/mm thing. But I have some cilinder blocks lying around that are a lot bigger then standard.

With these blocks(of this one) and pistons I have the feeling it is very early type, the guy also tried to sell me the old injectors with the push pin on the top.

i think I will move it to his new location and save the rest of the fun for a later time. Still got a lot of work to do in the new location, busy with heating now to make it more comfortable to be overthere.

And again if somebody has smart ideas distilled from the pictures I am all ears.

Bernhard