Puppeteer

Author Topic: New engine and parts from India  (Read 6751 times)

saba

• View Profile
New engine and parts from India
« on: October 03, 2018, 01:39:20 AM »
Greetings lads,

I just bought the last engine untill I will sell some other thats a promise.  Few months ago I bought a 12/2 or10/2 wich was nothing but a heap of worn out parts and  rat poo.
Kept my eyes open and found a reasonably priced runner with 16/2 flywheels and magnetic aluminium pistons. According to the guy he took the top end from a just overhauled 10/2 with a broken crankshaft (30 years ago). I asked him 3 times about  the pistons yes aluminium, just checked it's some new kind of aluminium it's magnetic. Explaines why it was jumping around on the video he send me. Apparently also the cilinder heads are special the injectors are water cooled so firstdrain before you take them out.
First intention was to use it as a crankshaft donor for the other engine. but it's not that bad i gues so now I need a crankshaft and alu pistons.

Few years ago I did a fairly big order from anand india, it was really cheap but with fedexx and all the taxes it's was more then triple the price that I paid anand.
I was just wondering would it be hard to join up and order a partial container with other people in need of affordable parts. In my case I am talking about mainland europe you can pass parts on relative cheap. I think you could get parts at double the price as in India. Wich is not bad I think.

Next days I will try to upload some pictures.

Regards Bernhard

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: New engine and parts from India
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »
Hi Bernhard, My experience with Indian parts is not that good, some of it has been excellent and some absolute cr*p. The replacement crank shaft I bought was actually OK, the journals were within tolerance and it was straight to within about a thousandth of an inch. The problem I had was that, even without gaskets, There was too much end float. I had to make shims to go under the bush bearings to get anywhere near the 5 thou end float I was aiming for. I then had to elongate the locating hole in the bush bearings.

I had similar problems with Indian cam lobes that were beautifully hard and ground, but for no good reason the taper pin holes were drilled 40 thou different from the originals.

I would have no interest in importing parts to Europe as I am in Australia. I would however be interested in anyone who can have spares made to the original specifications and tolerances. India can make very good quality part, the problems lie with quality control and consistency.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »
I would have stopped believing anything the fellow said after magnetic aluminum.  The water cooled injectors and the cylinder heads required for them  are of the very earliest type  fitted to a CS engine which would also explain the broken crankshaft as the early twins were plagued with that. Most, if not all were returned and updated according to  Edington's book.  I own a very early 10/2  but not as old as that one. The serial number of that engine would be of interest just to date iit. It is a nice find!

With out a doubt the India parts situation is hit and miss but for us in the states NOS Lister parts are not an option unless money means nothing. Certain dealers will sell you high dollar "genuine parts" that were produced at  the R A Lister India division that no body else knew about.  You can trust India MICO brand fuel injection equipment, piston rings,  valves, gaskets sets as long as you avoid the cheapest of cheap as it appears that it is recovered from reject hoppers. I will state that I have never personally received any junk parts  from Lovson and that Gary at DES will make right any junk that escapes undetected.   
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
Magnetic aluminium? That would be a very interesting alloy ideal for manufacturing generator stators. I vaguely remember an episode of Star Trek that featured transparent aluminium. What ever next?  :laugh:

Curious about the water cooled, early, injectors. Wonder if they could be used in reverse to heat veg or WMO prior to injection.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »
I recently dug out my old cast iron Lister piston to check dimensions before ordering a replacement. Interestingly it was covered in iron fillings which were stuck to it because it had some magnetism. I doubt this would be a good or deliberate attribute as it would attract all the sh!t in the crank case and cause premature failure.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 01:08:39 PM »
Hey Buddy, I wasn`t thinking of heating the oil, I was thinking of heating a cold injector to make starting easier, a bit like a glow plug.

Magnetism might have some advantages, what about additives like molybdenum, would they adhere better to a magnetized piston?

Bob

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 01:49:41 PM »
Ok this is the magnetic piston engine, of course the pistons are cast iron I just stuck a magnet threw the door to check. I'll upload some more later.

About the India parts, I now part of it is crap but there's not much of choise. It's just an Indian crankshaft for a 2 cilinder in england is 450 pounds and in India 190 dollar.
If you could order together maybe you can keep the cost down a bit.

Anyway I'll think will leave the engine alone for now better finish some other first.

Bernhard

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »
Hey Bernhard, I hate to point out the blindingly obvious but they are both made in the same place: India, so the difference in price is all down to delivery, storage and profit.
I would think about ordering all the parts in one go to reduce the delivery charges. A while back one of the the forum members did a very good restoration after ordering all the parts direct from India. (DEV Precision, I think). They were reasonable on price, quality and delivery charges. I have found Gary at DES in the USA to be honest, reasonably priced and helpful. I also use Rob at Old Timer Engines in Australia, he has a large stock of used parts that are very reasonably priced.

Do your own research, don`t trust what you read on forums or anywhere else.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
I've used Devprecision and mostly it was bloody good. I had a problem and there was a lack of communication so I drew their attention to a post on here and it turned out they had 'been on holiday'....... anyway the dodgy injector pump and the wrong bearings were included in my next order, promptly and free of charge.

From the Pyrenees I could order Sunday night, my time, pay a Paypal invoice Monday morning and the Fedex truck arrived on Friday., I did it three or four times.

The taper roller main bearing carriers were incorrectly machined but I got around that by attacking the bearings themselves with the 4" angle grinder, the aluminium 8/1 piston and rings were great. same bump clearance as the original iron Lister one.

Both the Injector and the pump were coated inside and out with some sort of preservative that wouldn't yield to diesel so I had to strip them down, other than that no real complaints.

As I recall the freight wasn't too scary either.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
I should have a look at the old invoice but I also ordered two cilinder blocks and a crankshaft, that ways a ton. I holland you also pay import tax and vat on transportation costs. It was 3 times as the original price I recall. And the cilinder blocks were scrap.

I will see if I can still find it.

Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
Just a few pics,

Bernhard

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 07:37:00 PM »
That is one heavy looking pulley.

guest23837

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
So what happens if a bunch of people buy into say half a 40 foot container of parts from India and they find 20 ton of junk in the docks? There would be no returns or comeback dead money IMO

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »
Gooday, just had a look for my old order. It was 635 dollar on parts , 127 kg, 737 dollar in transport and I have to pay import tax and vat on the total. Actually was not that bad if I see it now.

Asked for a quote of the crankshaft for a 12/2,  is $193  and $352 for transport.  So $545 times the tax is over $700. More than three times the initial amount. 

For this 12/2 ratpoo engine thats to much together with rebushing the cilinder blocks and the rest.....Better bring it away for scrap.

I asked for freight tarifs by sea 1m3 box 350kgs 1000euro approx, needed to fill in the figures to get a price so made some figures up, I guess its the volume that makes the price weight does not affect it as much. Door to door.
I could fill the box with 30 crankshafts and have 33euro transport cost for each crankshaft and I pay tax for (193+33) times 1.3 approx .

Ok thats my point I gues most of the people here are from other continents, but maybe there are people more in the neighbourhood.

Just an idea

Regards Bernhard

guest23837

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »
I am from Ireland so parts for lister engines or parts aren't that hard to get. I'd be wary of buying a pig in a poke