Puppeteer

Author Topic: Metro Premium Listeroid  (Read 6837 times)

Offgrid1

• View Profile
Metro Premium Listeroid
« on: October 01, 2018, 03:49:14 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and Listeroid ownership. Recently this engine and generator head was for sale on Craigslist. For once the opportunity and the finances aligned, and miraculously it was less than an hour away. I would have far preferred an original Lister CS, but this engine has been only briefly run, periodically, and was within reach. It started right up, and since there was a list of interested buyers (I was first) I paid the asking price. It comes with extra OEM Metro parts, but no manual. If anyone has a manual, or knows where to locate one please pm me. I'll provide more pictures as the project progresses.

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Metro Premium Listeroid
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 05:40:03 AM »
Good find!
I'm not sure what the "premium" stands for.  My older Metro 6/1 is a Listeroid; the head is modified to eliminate 2 bolts, the sump is modified to be a single sump, splash lube only.  It has been the prime mover/air compressor for my off grid homestead for the last 10 years.

I wonder if Metro made true CS clones and called them "premium"?

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:46:24 AM »
I'll have to look at the label on mine to see.

Beware, many of the clones have internal casting sand in the crankcase

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »
Hello and welcome to the LEF,
As for the manuals the India supplied manual is most valuable to kindle a fire and a Lister CS manual is of limited use due to the many changes made to the India engines.  However if you desire an India manual I can send you one providing you are either in the USA or willing to pay postage.  I have several OEM Lister manuals but none I care to part with. They are downloadable from a few sources last I knew one of them being The Internal Fire Museum. You must join the site to have access to the manuals. Send me a PM if you desire.

As far as I have been able to determine  premium as applied to Metro branded engines means the engine has extra cost accessories included. Might be a starter or water pump or oil pump all or any combination of them. It does not mean the engine was assembled with any more care or any less sand than any other Metro,, at least in my experience. I haven ever seen a Metro branded engine that was a clone or close copy of a CS, all are roller bearing splash lubricated,  5 stud classic "listeroids"

The test for sand  is easy, pull the crankcase door and drain the oil. Then run your finger around in the bottom of the crankcase checking for grit and once found you have a choice to make. Just remember that it does not need to be 1/2" deep to destroy the engine. If you find ANY sand or slag it will do a number on the engine, the only variable pertaining to quantity is  how long it takes to destroy the moving parts.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:31:36 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 04:01:55 PM »
premium = washed the salt out of the beach sand before using it.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
Now that's a little harsh, i know for a fact, small children sieve the sand first.  ;) ;D

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »
, or extra metal flake in the paint ;D

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
Offgrid

Don't be disheartened by the replies, they're all correct, but there's more than enough information on this forum for you get to grips with every aspect of the Metro.

They're all simple, be it a CS or a clone, some common sense and a couple of evenings reading through the WOK - Wall Of Knowledge - and searching the various categories will get you through.

If all else fails, post up, remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, mostly!!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »
Nice find. I have a couple of manuals I can email you. They are original lister manuals so some of the info will be useless for the Metro. I may have a PDF of an Indian manual, lemme dig around a bit.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 06:21:28 AM »
this may help?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
Sump wiping is one way of looking for sand, but another easy way to is to look at the upper main bearing shell. If you see scratches, and embedded particles, you've got sand.

If the engine is expected to perform long reliable service, treating any listeroid or CS clone as a kit of parts to be fully disassembled, inspected and the crankcase to be stripped and refinished is the best practice.  It's a simple engine and doing it once, right, is not that big of a chore.  38ac's written a wonderful guide that makes it much easier.  Everyone who has stripped and/or ground the crankcase interior has found a great deal of sand just painted over.  Generic red electrical varnish (aka Glyptal) in spray cans is inexpensive and makes a very nice, durable crankcase interior finish.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »
Offgrid

Don't be disheartened by the replies,

Cheers
Stef

I guess that I can see where that type of thought pattern could come about. If  I have disheartened by  informing of the short comings of India engine ownership I will state here that was not the intent. None the less what I have said is factual.   

Let's try this,,,

Offgrid1
There is a marked difference between right, and right enough as it pertains to an engine assembly. India quality controls are to assemble the engine, start it with "flushing oil" and let it run a minute or two,  drain the flushing oil and whatever sand ,slag and metal chips drain with it, and ship it.  therefore almost every Indian engine is/was right enough to  start and run when it left India and when received here.

But there is a catch, Running for 10 minutes doesnt mean the engine is OK. The crankcase could have a quart of loose  sand dumped in it and it will run for a 15 minutes or so, a hand full it may run for an hour or two. A teaspoon full will take longer.  Point being that over the long haul (in spite of what some would hope to believe) no engine will tolerate any amount of abrasive particles floating around with the lubricating oil.  Does your engine have enough sand floating around to be destroyed in 1/2 hour?  1 hour?  10 hours?  or 100 hours?  No way for anyone here to know including me. But to say there is a chance that it is clean would be a BIG stretch, personally I have never seen it.

Because engine parts and pieces cost money I prefer to look instead of crossing my fingers and  installing the starting handle,,but that just me ;)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:05:36 PM by 38ac »

Offgrid1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
Thank you all for your input! I can now see that this is going to be more complicated than just plug and play, which was the sales pitch I made to my better half (who is not very pleased with me presently) I think the best way to look at it is that it will be a 6hp, slow speed,  water cooled diesel. With the recommended effort to rid it of internal abrasives, and going through and correcting free play etc. Among the spares was an open gasket set, which I am hoping (dreaming) might indicate that some or all of the cleanup has been done. Of course as soon as I purchased it an 8hp Witte came up for sale! I will still be on the hunt for a true Lister CS, preferably SOM, and not from Portugal!

Regards, Dave

P.S. I will follow up with more pictures

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
Hey Butch!

My post wasn't intended to discredit yours, as I said of the replies, 'they're all correct' and I then made reference to all the information on the forum which will enable anyone to complete a rebuild with the minimum of hassle. If I offended you - or anyone else, for that matter I apologise profusely.

It's hard to read an email or a post and get the flavour of the writers intent I know, mostly from offending others! and the slant of my last one was definitely meant to be read in a positive and encouraging manner.

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Barenburg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
Mine wasn't a Metro, but I did consider it a kit engine and I'm glad......  Upon disassembly I found no loose sand in the crankcase, but probably took a 1/4 cup of sand out just poking around near the tappets.  I completely strippesd the castings cleaned, sanded and filled exterior porosity with bondo prior to applying 4 coats of epoxy paint.......

All the cleaning, blueprinting etc is part of the fun......

All the best!