Author Topic: The next hairbrained Idea......  (Read 903 times)

Johndoh

• View Profile
Re: The next hairbrained Idea......
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 12:35:02 AM »
Glort going nuclear was a throwaway comment but I think we are going to have to stop burning stuff for energy. I know I'm an engine lover like all of the people on here but I doubt we contribute a whole lot of the overall emissions but countries do. Ireland uses oil gas even peat to generate power and of course we import power from the UK some of which has to be nuclear generated. There's been a strict no nuclear policy for many years and I can't understand why. A small nuclear reactor would easily power the whole country and have some spare plus our emissions for power generation would drop to almost zero. We do have plenty of wind power, but its not something you could depend on. There's wind turbines all over the place, it seems we send that power to the UK so they can reduce their carbon emissions, more mad stuff! Really wind, solar or hydro aren't reliable enough for Ireland so we will continue to be hypocrites.

Of course eventually Glort or a Glort type in a shed will come up with a small reliable non polluting power source that every house will have to make their own power unfortunately I probably won't live to see it!
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 01:38:55 AM »

Like a lot of things, I have spent time researching Nuke power and If I had the ability to ban it tomorrow, I would.
To me there is n justification to create deadly everlasting poison beyond comprehension that there is no solution for. There are endless excuses and spin doctoring about the safety of nuke but even barring any accident, you are left with a substance the destructive power of which is beyond most peoples imagination.  For people to complain about fossil fuel emissions and tout nuke as clean is incredibly Naive and hypocritical although I am sure people that believe what they see on TV and do no research for themselves are completely unaware of how bad this stuff is.

To export power and Import it at the same time is ludicrous but then again, that's the way of the world now.
It is the exact reason I have nothing but contempt for the whole save the world/ reduce emissions/ green mindset.  The ideal is good, the stupidity of what the world does and makes a joke of the good motivations is nothing short of criminal.
To have a green and emissions reduction mind set and then export power from one place to bring t back in from another is wasteful and ridicilous from anything but a greed POV.  It also shows the hypocracy of a lot of this green sentiment rammed down our throats.

We have the same thing here. One State, SA, had a greenwashed gubbermint that took out all the coal power stations then boasted they had no fossil Fuel generation and everything they generated was green and renewable.  That was technically correct but what they didn't say in their greenwashed bullshit was they imported coal fired power from 3 other states!  Everything they GENERATED was from renewable  but that's a lot different to everything they USE.
You always have to analise these statements to the Nth degree and look for the catch in every word and sentence.

I was watching a report last night about home solar in our citys. The question was brough up why there are restrictions on the solar you can use, why the companies charge 6X more for the power you buy than what you send back etc. Some moron mouthpiece was talking about the safety of the grid and they can't put it in danger from too much backfeed etc.  The report pointed out there had never been ANY problem traced to solar backfeed and when put to the power co mouthpiece, the typical duck shoving and repetition of a safe ( his favourite distraction word with no real meaning) reliable grid and other crap that completely by passed the question was both obvious and sickening. It was put to the company weasel it was about profit where he clearly feigned insult at the acusation . They then put the problem to a couple of high level  electrical engineers with as good credentials as you would get and they said very minor problems, very easy to fix, power co's are just talking BS to protect their business.

Well who would have ever suspected that?  :o

It's all about money. Fossil fuels and Emissions are not the enemy of the world, GREED is.  It's the reason you import and export power, the reason we have more than enough sunshine but are regulated so we can't use it and on it goes. It's not about saving the planet, it's all about making a buck.

I don't believe any great discoveries will be made by a glort. I believe SMART people already have discovered a lot of things and the tech has been salted away.
I have said many times, when a break though comes, if it's ever allowed, it will have been discovered by some tinkerer in the back shed 50 years before. The tech will have been bought, tinkerer will be paid off and living  the highlife and the tech buried. When they need it, it will be rolled out as some miracle discovery lost  years ago, but only just come to light.   Of course it will have to be complex and something the average person can't do or get hold of the components or ingredients themselves or that would destroy the profit and power aspect which is critical to gubbermints and big biz.  I think this is a big problem with solar in a lot of ways.  Takes away peoples dependence on being controlled and reduces profits.
Sounds like conspiracy theroys but most people don't realise how these things really work at high level.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »
You could be right Glort that the governments are sitting on the solution for decades. I doubt it's nuclear powered either way too dangerous for the Glort in the shed to be messing around with and too complicated. It will be one of those "how the hell didn't I see that" ideas and yes there well may be some fella living high on the hog with money from big oil for his invention.

I understand your irritation about solar power part of the problems are indeed caused by big business and some of it, like the petty rules and regulations are caused by officialdom and government sucking up to big business by making it very difficult to use small scale green power generation.  I know in Ireland its difficult to get permission to erect wind turbines or solar panels on a small scale and almost impossible to get permission to feed into the grid. For example I'm not allowed a wind turbine with blades longer than 18" without permission. Of course permission isn't going to be granted because I live in a rural area and it would be an "eyesore", same with solar panels. A 2 foot turbine isn't going to power much more than a mobile phone charger

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 01:21:00 PM »

Yep, That's the thing mate.
Renewable is all well and good while there is a buck in it for someone.  So much could be done to reduce the need for energy in many different ways at a grass roots level but that is really not what they want at all. There are all sorts of manufactured excuses they come up with to protect their interests.

It's important that we the people do exactly as we are told to think.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »

Feeling Confident today I lit up some more gas.  Found a flash back arrestor on an old Oxy torch so hooked the gas into that and made some blue flames.

Next step will be to make a burner for it and a gas reserve. I saw a vid today where they were using an airbed mattress. Seemed a good Idea and I'm sure There are a few round here somewhere.... or we threw them out in the move.. can't remember but will soon find out.

Saw this interesting Vid on a diesel engine conversion today.  Typical horizontal yanmar type engine converted to spark and running on gas.
love to know what the ignition bow was.  At first I messed it was converted to spark and though that thing sounds really off till I realised the thing was not running as a diesel but as an SI.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 08:16:02 PM »
Read something once about a farmer who used an old tractor tube connectected to the digester outlet.  When it was full he rolled it to his house, connected it to his stove and plonked a couple of concrete lintels on it to give pressure

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 10:04:43 PM »
Do those little gas conversion kits for petrol engines on a certain auction site actually work? Will they work for both propane and butane? They are interesting because you can store the fuel for a long period without it going "off" like petrol does. I did see a video of a guy that connected the crankcase pipe to bottled gas on a generator or lawnmower I cant remember which. It was a bit of a Heath Robinson affair.
How long would it run on a 12kg tank of butane? Is it safe?

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 10:40:33 AM »

There's an idea inspiring  question!

I found these:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Fuel-Carburetor-Carb-Yard-New-For-Honda-170F-GX200-Generator-Engine-Mowers/323276476711?hash=item4b44c79127:g:b~wAAOSwukVbC6Nt:rk:72:pf:0

Gas carb and regulator for small engines. $30 delivered. Bargain.
In looking on the net the only problem with them would be the low pressure of the Bio gas unless you compressed it.  Not the most difficult thing, I can get a car AC compressor and hook it up to an electric motor and pump it into a tank like that. Being a non liquified gas I doubt a  normally BBQ Bottle would last long at all. I have a 45KG Cylinder up the back I could use but any compressed only gas is only a spec on a liquified one. 

Don't Know if methane will liquefy but I'll bet if it does, it would need about 3000 PSI or something like natural gas that would take more energy to compress than would it would be worth and require Oxy acetelyne type Cylinders .
I saw one vid where a guy was using an air pump to pull the biogas from a storage bag and pressurise it to the engine regulator.  Unfortunately it became apparent this would take a fairly decent compressor  and something larger than the sizeable Fish tank pumps he was using.  Given they would probably only do a couple of PSI at best and are probably flow rated at zero pressure, Most likely wrong tool for the Job.
maybe one of those airless Spray Gun compressors would be better but by the time you do that, what is the energy equation?

The airbed Storage idea isn't bad.  I could get a net, suspend that just under the off of the shed where it would be out the way and safe. Might have to insulate the roof or put batts on the mattress though so it didn't get too hot.  Roof isn't sealed and methane is lighter than air so any leaks would not be a danger.

Dunno if it were just me or the gas volume fell off today.  Heater is still on and water jacket up to temp so Ill keep an eye on it.
Spose it wouldn't be that hard to pull a bung, suck some water from the middle and top up again with fresh slurry. Just have to burp the thing for a few days to get the air out then should be good for another however long.

Rain still predicted for the best part of this week then a 31oC day on sat. I wonder if a coil of black pipe on the shed roof with a thermostat would be enough to keep a digester producing gas even at a lower level over the winter?  Then again, may be just better off utilising the area with solar PV and using a heater?

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
I think I will get that little adaptor glort I was going to buy one from the UK it's £50 but 2 day delivery that's under €20!. I will keep an eye out for a non runner honda or honda clone generator. It's usually a fcuked carburettor full of varnish that stops these little machines from running. I could have a cheap generator and if it doeskin work out it's a very small loss. Gas is 50% cheaper than petrol I read somewhere but that's not really the appeal it's the machine sitting for 6 months unused and firing right up. Much better than cleaning the jets on a carburettor by the light off a Tilley lamp!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 02:25:03 PM »

Looking at that side I did some conversions in local prices.

Petrol is high here, around $1.50 L atm.  Even still, the cheapest gas Refil I know of would still be marginally cheaper.  If fuel goes down to where it has been for some time, then that would be cheaper.

I understand your motivation was Storage but was thinking for myself with how cheap the carb setups are, Might have potential.
Petrol would ( and well may) get a lot more exy before gas became cheaper. Kind of thought they would be on par energy / price wise.

LPG for Vehicles used to work out much cheaper. Doing the calcs now, there is also very little Difference between Bottled and refilled gas.
Just the same, Might be worthwhile having a cheap petrol Generator converted for gas use.

Wish we would get Blackouts here more often so I could substantiate these toy.... purchases.
Last blackout I remember was probably 15 years ago and only caused by an acciden't in a car taking out a pole. Less than 90 min and all was good again.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »
Petrol here is €1.50+ per litre gas is about €25 for the small cylinder you would use in a gas heater so relatively cheap. thats with shopping around you can also pay €1.65 for petrol and €30 for the gas. There's no non runners for sale near me at the minute but I can wait. The website I was looking at that said gas was 50% cheaper was American and they were using mains gas I know that even in Ireland its way cheaper than bottled gas. It has to be worth a shot I think.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 05:53:47 PM »
I think most of the automotive AC pumps, require lube oil in the line, and not a simple sump.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
Petrol here is €1.50+ per litre gas is about €25 for the small cylinder you would use in a gas heater so relatively cheap. thats with shopping around you can also pay €1.65 for petrol and €30 for the gas. There's no non runners for sale near me at the minute but I can wait. The website I was looking at that said gas was 50% cheaper was American and they were using mains gas I know that even in Ireland its way cheaper than bottled gas. It has to be worth a shot I think.

Back when we had Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) here, folks would do dangerous things with diving tank air compressors to fill CNG tanks with "pipeline" gas.  I never heard of any explosions . . . .

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
Methane has less energy than hydrogen, and unless you can cool it to -163 C, where it turns to liquid, it's going to be stored as a gas.  At modest pressures that is not practical with the volumes of gas needed for any useful work, just as I previously estimated for hydrogen.

If you could use some bioengineered bacteria to make propane instead of methane, then it would be a whole new ball game.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a11177/these-bacteria-can-cook-up-propane-from-scratch-17166594/

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 12:29:29 AM »
Would a water vessel work? I dont know if you guys abroad use them its basically a 100 litre tank with a rubber membrane in the middle. One side has 15 psi (I think) compressed air. The water pump is at the bottom of the well its ½hp but it pumps enough water up to the vessel then the membrane sends it through the pipes. It would probably work with gas too?