Author Topic: Ashwamegh 25/2 :the saga continues  (Read 8560 times)

2Ton46

• View Profile
Re: Ashwamegh 25/2 :the saga continues
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 10:05:55 PM »
From my experience BruceM is correct. Also I found that if you can find another spring similar to the one you are using now, and connect it in series with your current spring you will effectively get a longer spring that helps a lot with the issue you have described.  The pulling force of the short springs that many of these come with drops off too rapidly as the length decreases and in my case it was barely stretched to begin with at a proper rpm setting. So that when the speed dropped under load, it would move a little towards open but since the weights were moving slower it would tend to find a new equilibrium at a slower rpm(never opening the rack far enough to get back up to the original set point with the new load). Touching the rack would get you back up to speed and would probably maintain that speed if the load was steady. In other words the supplied spring has a spring rate that is too high, and longer springs of a similar diameter and wire size tend to have a more favorable spring rate for this application.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2018, 10:11:58 PM »
Nice technical writing, 2Ton46, and a nice explanation why a spring with somewhat more uniform force over the stretch range is better.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2018, 12:15:06 AM »

Before the cam went out for a rebuild I tried 8 or 10 springs, combinations of springs, springs with
bailing wire tied to a fixed spot, springs wih springs......you name it. I got it to just begin to hunt then
would adjust, add, subtract, cuss and holler.......I went back to the original spring....no help.

This time around I have only tried the factory spring. I hope I can get some run time in the next couple of days
after all, I still have all those springs in a box just looking for something to do !

The engine starts/runs so nice I'm pretty disappointed it won't pull much of a load. I have never had much
faith in the thing only because it is what it is. Getting it to run as well as it does has been a joy.
It fires right up and is fairly well balance. I was concerned about bringing the rpms up from 750 to 850
but I do believe it is just as well behaved if not better. Seems to be a bit better balanced and it just sounds
alot better.....hard to describe ....the best description I could give be would be like when a wild cam just starts
to settle in at the lower end of its rpm range.....the lope is gone but no where near top end.

Still hope to load up that Stamford clone head to see what it will do ! The thing just laughs at 4kw.

Enjoy !

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2018, 12:34:11 AM »
Patience and determination will win out!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 08:40:41 AM »
Hi 32 Coupe, I`m assuming you are running a pair of Mico injection pumps, these have numbers on them that should identify the size of the elements. I`m thinking you should be running a 10 mm element, as a 6/1 or 12/2 uses a 7 mm element.

The other thing when running a diesel with twice the cubic capacity is the fuel injector nozzles sizes and pressures. If you are not getting enough diesel into the cylinders it will run but never produce the expected output. The injectors should also have numbers on them which should identify if they are correct for this application.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »
Bob, is correct in that the pump elements are larger for the high HP Liesteroids. Don't believe they
are 10MM but I am not near my spec sheets. The pumps for a 25/2 should be marked 034, if they are marked 032 they have the elements used in 6 and 8HP or 12/16 twins. The larger elements have a marked effect on governor operation as it takes less rack movement to give the requires fuel delivery for a given HP.  BUT, even with the small pumps you should be able to pull 7-8KW at 850 RPM. I sure wish I was close enough to come take a look at it.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 10:30:15 PM »

Butch,
When I load it up and am setting outside your shop door will that be close enough ??

I didn't get to it today but you guys have provided a list of.things to look at tomorrow.

I will report back tomorrow evening, thanks for all the pointers.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"