Puppeteer

Author Topic: The actual value of a thing is what someone will pay for it in cash . . .  (Read 3338 times)

mikenash

• View Profile

38ac

• View Profile
Re: The actual value of a thing is what someone will pay for it in cash . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
True, however my nature causes me to wonder why a first bid of $1000 ?  Smells of bid running by the owner. :police:
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »
The way TradeMe works you can set a "no reserve" opening bid

In this case set at $1000 - so the unit is "sold" as soon as the first bid is made and it will sell to the highest bidder

None of this "failed to reach reserve" stuff so everyone knows what is happening

Very common and has become the favourite way to run an auction as it is transparent

So, in the case of this engine, $1000 was the vendor's minimum and reserve & there is no mechanism to make a lower offer if you want to be in the buying

It reflects the vendor's confidence in the value of his machine

Of course if there were no bids he'd have to re-think and maybe re-list later at a lower price, waste a bunch of time & pay two sets of listing fees - you need to know the actual value of the unit you are selling

That's one of the interesting things about auctions, of course

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 05:54:08 AM »
Well, IMHO, a thing is "worth" what someone will pay for it - QED, really

Since someone has bid $1000 for this, it is (a) "sold" and (b) "worth" at least $1K

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »
And a bargain is where both the vendor and the purchaser believe they've ripped the other bloke right off......

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:31:06 PM »
Sometimes Stef,

Foster School of Business, Trump has little over me, teaches that when both buyer and seller are satisfied a bargain has been struck.  I'm often happy when everybody else in the deal are happy.  I've been "Diddled" so many times that I'm just over hard ball. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
I feel the same way, Casey.  I would never have made it rich in the business world.

I've almost closed a deal on a Kubota L2550 with loader, rear blade, cement mixer and some sort of leveler/finish smoother.  Original owner was a physics professor I really enjoyed who died this last year, his severe MCS disabled daughter, also a college prof and much valued friend, doesn't want to deal with the maintenance.  My neighbor and I are going to split it, we need more regular road maintenance.  He wants to find a small three point backhoe for it, and a box grader. I concur on the latter but the small 3 pt backhoes look beyond my budget.  I've got to run some EMF tests on it tomorrow with the alternator disconnected, and take one rear wheel in to town to have it tubed.  The bead seal on the newish tire and rim has failed three times so it's tube time.  I will extend the exhaust stack WAY up with 3 braces to the frame, and add a shade cover with solar panel to eliminate the alternator.

I'm very excited at the prospect of being able to fix my washed out driveway and some parts of the road leading too it that badly need work.

I've always loved tractors of all sizes.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
Any man with a bit of land loves to have a tractor

My neighbour - the woman who sold me the sunshine block I bought recently - has a little Kubota (maybe 40hp?) with a front-end loader

She's an office-bound manager who loves nothing better than to get out in the weekend with the tractor and grade our communal driveway or give me a hand to lift an engine or some such . . .

The best kind of tractor - one owned by someone else lol

Hey, if you put a big, tall, exhaust stack on the tractor - especially if it's frame-mounted - you might want to put a "flexy" section in somewhere?  Otherwise it sounds like a recipe for fatigue or cracked manifold maybe?  Just a thought

Cheers

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »
Speaking of the best deal on tractors...When I built my first home here in the White Mountains, I had a newly graduated from HS young man helping me. His Dad owned a late model backhoe, and he lived only 3/4 mile from my home site.  He was skilled with the backhoe and just drove it to work on days when we needed it.  That was the sweetest deal I ever had.

Excellent point on the vibration of the extended exhaust, MikeNash. I should probably put in a flex section as close to the engine as practical, since the upper portion will be braced to the frame. 

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 10:02:39 AM »
Mmmmmmm..... Tractors..... I have an affinity for those.... Currently have a 2 wheel Gravely with a few attachments, a 4 wheel ride-on Gravely with mower deck, a "Vaaljapie" as its known this end of the world or Fergie TED petrol/Paraffin as its known elsewhere, a Fergusson 35 "GoldBelly" and the latest arrival is a Landini that needs new bodywork and mudguards which was given to me... I think that when I get the Landini up and going properly I will thin out the herd a bit...

I have used the Slime stuff before, but on the tractors it has been more of a stopgap than long term... It works, but invariably starts leaking again after a week or two....

A couple of weeks back, I had a run of punctures with two of the tractors... 6 flats between 8 wheels... cost a packet, the tubes were perished and needed replacement.... Bloody irritating to mood and wallet at the same time!!

Cheers
E
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
Hey Glort,

Hit the scrappies and look for an old forklift... Usually they get taken out of service for engine/gearbox problems.... Plenty of bits on them that are generally not too hard to remove with a shifter, hammer and cutting torch....!

Most of my hydraulic projects I get into originated from earth moving or forkie kit....

With all your panels, a 36vdc oil pump off an electric forkie could be a match made in heaven!

I have four attachments for the Gravedigger... Rotary Plough, Rotivator, Sickle Bar Mower and 30 or so inch brush cutter... Good fun to use, 12hp, fairly light on juice too... The plough and rotivator gave it its nickname... That's how you feel when you have used them, or rather, they have abused you.... Rotivating land is no easier with it, it just takes all the muscle pain from the projected 2 weeks of hand tilling and puts it into the 3hrs it takes to do it with an engine....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 03:09:09 PM »
Thanks Glort.  Slime is great stuff, my lawn tractor tires are all full of it.  We have creeping thorns called "goat heads" here that actually puncture the tires, and after use you can see the green Slime around the thorns on the front tires, yet it will seal. I wouldn't trust it for bead leaks, though.

I might do wheel weights but am not a fan of fluid filled anymore.

My ambitions will be the end of me.  My autoimmune thyroid disease has flipped into hyperactive again, (was low just 2 weeks ago, was on thyroid medicine) to the point of tachycardia and insomnia and going to town again today will likely send it into orbit. Tractor fever and stupid stubbornness.