Lister Engines > Petteroids

PETTER PH2 engine - oil not reaching the tappets

(1/3) > >>

BuilderBob:
Hi

I have recently reconditioned a PETTER PH2 engine.  I replaced the oil pump, pistons, rings, etc. and had the injectors and pumps recalibrated.  The problem I’m having is that there is no oil going to the top of the engine via the oil pipe on the side of the engine to lubricate the tappets.  I find this quite strange as I fitted a new oil pump. 

The supplier of the pump mentioned that I should have primed the pump before installation.  Could this be my problem?  Or must I look elsewhere?  I’d also like to mention that the motor runs and when hand-cranking it the oil is definitely reaching the bearings as I checked this with the side covers off. 

Can anybody assist me, please? 

guest23837:
Is the oil feed pipe blocked?

mike90045:
What are the chances the lower oil points are hogging all the oil and none is getting all the way up to the uppers ?  Can you squirt oil into the top and see if it comes out the lowers ? 
Does it just fill up and spill over like a line is plugged ?

ajaffa1:
Some manufacturers put a restriction in the feed pipe to reduce the flow to a trickle. This is often something as simple as a length of wire inside the pipe. Any dirt or debris from your rebuild work could have caused a blockage. Can you remove the pipe and blow it through with an air line?

Bob

listard-jp2:
/\ This is exactly the case with the Petter PH engine range.

Suggest that you remove the oil feed rocker pipe at its origin, and observe the flow from the fitting that the banjo bolt screws into (Petter part no 264c).

If you see little or no oil coming out of this fitting with the engine running, then remove item and clean it out, as this is where the restriction can be found.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version