Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister ST2 with Brush 7KVA Generator  (Read 702 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST2 with Brush 7KVA Generator
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »
Hi Alexm, like everything, your fist time is never your best but usually the most memorable. I`m sure the best is yet to come. A lot of blokes on the forum have mental and physical health problems including myself. Nothing to be ashamed of and restoring old engines is very therapeutic/addictive and hopefully will preserve some of our heritage for the next generations, while showing off the skills that us old f*cked up fellas have and would like to pass on.
I wonder what the millennials will be restoring in their old age, I phones and windows computers probably.

Just to p*ss you off attached is a photo of the inside of the control panel you re missing for a full SOM. I wouldn`t worry about it as a lot of modern electrical equipment would be destroyed by the 24 volt dc sensing circuit that fires an SOM. I always start mine using the manual option before connecting it to the house but I enjoy knowing that it is still fully functional.

Keep up the good work and stay well,

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
I don’t think the millennials will do up anything... they’ll chuck it in the ‘recycle bin’ and ship it abroad while they’ll just buy a new one.  ;D

Good photo! Is it 40W or 60W it needs to set it off. I doubt these days many things would set it off... turning on a LED light for example!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
Hi Alexm, I wired in a 60 watt light bulb right next to it, with a switch. If the power drops out unexpectedly I can walk down to the shed and flick a switch and have power/light, I then have to walk up to the distribution board and throw the cross over switch. Takes me less than a minutes but I still have to reset every electric device in the house that has a digital timer.  >:(

I worry about the up and coming generations, their skill set is so focused on the throw away society that they can`t do anything for themselves. With advances in computing and robotics they are going to be redundant before they even get started. At least in my youth there were jobs for people who were willing to work and learn skills.

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
Well, I've wired it up and it only reaches 12V  :-[

I've got the near two connections (that comes off the slip ring) as the AC and the far two (that heads back together toward the windings) are the DC. Is this right?

The two I've got as DC, one was yellow with 'R1' on it and the other one was coloured red (now I've coloured it black and red because that is the only colours I've got!)

Do I need to apply a ‘shunt’ or something? When I tested the old circuit with a volt meter I saw 230V and batteries were disconnected?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:50:54 PM by alexm »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
Hi Alexm, looks right to me. Try reversing the two wires to the auxiliary field.

Bob.

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
Hi Bob,

At the moment I have no wiring present bar the 5 wires exiting the alternator... I noticed that the black DC and the blue AC neutral are normally wired together, so I did that and this time I saw it count up to 235V   :D

Alex

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 02:41:04 PM »
Way to go Alex, not bad for a one handed man with a bad leg. Any plans to enter yourself in an arse kicking competition, you just might win?  :laugh:

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 04:56:32 PM »
Ha ha!  ;D

Now we are free of the selenium rectifier I put on a bit of load this time... 3KW heater, 1.2KW heater and a 0.5KW lamp done with ease!