Puppeteer

Author Topic: How accurate is the weather forecast in your part of the world?  (Read 682 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: How accurate is the weather forecast in your part of the world?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 12:20:35 AM »
Think you are probably right about the impending flooding when this drought breaks. Time for me to build a new dam on my property.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 03:10:07 AM »

Build the dam not too far from the house. Put in a serious water pump or at least a 150mm Pipe that runs downhill to the house.
Put in a bunch of sprinklers while you are at it.

Do you have machinery to dig it yourself or would you get someone in to do it Bob?
Mate up the road has a JCB backhoe/ loader and even his Mrs reckons it's the best thing they ever bought.  I have been looking for a little tractor for ages but they are exy and hard to get.  If an investment i'm waiting on the outcome of comes off, I'm just going to say Bugger it and buy one.  the more I keep telling myself I don't need one the more jobs I keep finding that it would be perfect for and allow me to do what I won't be able to do myself otherwise. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 09:15:16 AM »
Het Glort, sadly the dam will be in valley below the house, it will probably flood about a half acre to a depth of about 4 meters. There is a natural narrowing of the valley at the bottom end so it is ideal for a dam.

I will get a local contractor in to do the earth moving but to save money I will fell the few trees that need removing. I guess I won`t need fire wood for the rest of my life after doing it, might even be able to sell some of it to pay for the dam. I`ll try to take some photos of the valley in the morning.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 11:33:46 AM »
Incredible, no rain forecast, nothing on the radar but p*ssing down here.  :)

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »

For once the forecast being wrong is a really good thing! No more Immediate fire worries at least.  Hope the rain is sufficient with decent follow up to make a difference.

It's also rare in my observation. Usually they side on predicting rain that never happens rather than the other way around.
I wonder if tomorrows observations will show any rain or they will cover their arses and deny any fell?   ::)

Do you have any timber mills around You Bob?
My father has had a good number of trees taken out and he frequently sells them to the timber mill down the road and gets around 50% of his costs back.
They send a Timber carrier trailer round with a big hiab to load the things and take them whole.  Usually they cut them up for construction or decorative timber rather than fire wood.

This is a great thing as Dad gets the trees cleared for half price and I don't have to cut and split the bastards up for fire wood.  :0)

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 04:10:10 AM »

They have done it again!

Forecast for 95% chance of showers, mainly in the morning to afternoon 25-30mm.
Winds 30-45 kmh.

What do we get?
Clear Blue Effing Skies and still as a dead Dingo!
 Looked again at weather site, they have done an update which is very rare, now chance of showers late afternoon to early evening.
May as well take another roll of the dice when they clearly got it so damned wrong and see if they can save some face with those who weren't paying too much attention.

I have never seen a more useless and inaccurate service in my life. Don't even know why they exist.
About a month back parts of the city got devastated in a huge  hail storm.  Took out a bunch of suburbs in the north  of the city. So much hail it looked like it had been snowing for a week.   No warning what so ever was given even though the thunderhead had been tracked for hundred KM up the coast.  The reply to why there was no warning or prediction was they just thought it was a bit of a rain cloud. 

Oh, I can see a cloud on the horizon but by the time it gets here, if it get here,  won't be the wet day they predicted.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 10:23:47 PM »
Was in the mid 40's F here Saturday. Had a call for snow flurries and rain yesterday. Ended up with 14.5 inches of snow and ice. They nailed it.  >:(