How to / DIY > Generators

Brush Wiring Diagram E9840322

(1/3) > >>

LHCRT:
Hi.

The Lichfield Canal restoration group have a Lister Diesel No. 7**3SR121 attached to Brush alternator 2/55343 22, which is not working. Has anybody got the wiring diagram E9840322 please?  We've found a clamp on one of the resistors broken, so are going to fix that.

There are three rectifiers fitted - two original ones with fins and one new 'solid state' replacement. I assume the excitation of the stator is by DC (the output is from the rotor).  Will the alternator 'self excite' after long disuse or will it need a battery to be applied?

Cheers.

ajaffa1:
Good Day and welcome. I posted a scan of the startomatic drawing last night under a different thread, so here it is again.

Bob

oldgoat:
Throw away the old finned selenium rectifiers and replace them with solid state diodes it will save you grief later

ajaffa1:
I completely agree with Oldgoat. Replace all rectifiers with modern silicon, the bridge rectifier for the auxiliary field will require a heat sink. There are also two radio frequency suppressors (one for each slip ring) these are almost certainly shot after 50 years service.

Bob

SimonC:
Hi, I'd like to re-introduce this thread. I am another member of the Canal Trust and am trying to take up and fix the problem with the generator. The generator is a stand alone unit meant for site work and not a Start-O-Matic. It generates either 115VAC or 230VAC (switchable between the two). When I took the end covers off there are four slip rings and what seems to be two sets of rectifier/resistor packs - one has a single resistor and a replacement silicon rectifier (no heat sink) the other side has two smaller resistors and two selenium rectifiers. I am no electrical engineer but am guessing there are two windings on the rotor giving 115VAC which are connected either in parallel to give 115VAC 25 amps or series to give 230VAC 12.5 Amps. It would be nice if someone could supply a copy of the wiring diagram rather than me having to grovel in the dirt trying to draw my own.
I also really need help to size up new replacements for all the rectifiers - both the selenium and the 'new' replacement at the same time

Simon

PS This is my first post - I will try and post some pictures when I find out how. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version