Author Topic: Can someone tell me what all is missing from this kit?  (Read 4858 times)

lastlaugh

• View Profile
Can someone tell me what all is missing from this kit?
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:11:12 AM »
I found a site with a parts kit for the single cylinder lister engine. I cant tell what is missing from it. If its complete, its a hell of a deal here in the states. If not, how much would it cost me to complete it?

http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/complete_kit.asp?page=Complete_Kit

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me what all is missing from this kit?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:15:39 AM »
Missing at least the crankcase, flywheels, crankshaft, main bearing/bushing holders.
This is for the Metro listeroid like mine, so head is a 5 bolt, not 7 like the Lister CS.  The metro crankcase is splash oil only, no lower compartment and pump. 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:17:13 AM »
Missing at least the crankcase, flywheels, crankshaft, main bearing/bushing holders.
This is for the Metro listeroid like mine, so head is a 5 bolt, not 7 like the Lister CS.  The metro crankcase is splash oil only, no lower compartment and pump.  They included the pump as this is a kit of rebuild parts, not a whole engine kit.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:22:53 AM »
Short answer, a lot.
Those kits are designed to rebuild a worn engine, not build one. You would need the major parts Bruce mentioned plus a 5 gallon bucket of fasteners and small pieces.  Buy an engine kit from DES.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:28:30 AM »
I also highly recommend DES as a source for an CS clone kit.  Gary's product support is excellent.  If you get a bum Rajkot part, he sends you a replacement tomorrow.  I helped a neighbor do a propane conversion from a DES 8/1, and can't say enough good things about Gary.

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 03:35:10 AM »
I spoke to Gary last week. The website is archived from 2008, since they are no longer allowed to advertise them as engines. The price for a kit 6/1 or 8/1 is 2195$ without cooling tank or plumbing. They do have plenty of them tho.

I'd absolutely love a slow speed listeroid, but with me just getting a ST2 SOM for 1000$, it was hard to justify the cost.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I knew something major had to be missing from those kits.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »
For the most part those having trouble finding engines to purchase want to pay less than market but some have no cyber search skills. 
You may remember the Helmuth estate auction from several years ago ? There was a thread or two on here. Two kinds of "buyers" there. Those who went home with a CS engine, or two, or three,, and those that stood and watched with their hands in their pockets. Like any other want in life they come at a price.
I think I have made my points in that importing a $500 engine from Europe is expensive and there are (unfortunately) people over there waiting for suckers along with the honest folks. Gary is an excellent source or engines, parts, information. I am pretty much small time but do have my sources.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:11:48 AM by 38ac »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:56:43 AM »
I spoke to Gary last week. The website is archived from 2008, since they are no longer allowed to advertise them as engines. The price for a kit 6/1 or 8/1 is 2195$ without cooling tank or plumbing. They do have plenty of them tho.

I'd absolutely love a slow speed listeroid, but with me just getting a ST2 SOM for 1000$, it was hard to justify the cost.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I knew something major had to be missing from those kits.

This is accurate... we do have a fresh container load of all models in our warehouse - including 18/1, 16/2, 30/2 and the original 6/1 and 8/1 clones. We stock all of the parts in good quantity and can guarantee you get a good bargain with one of these kits even if you find problems. We replace anything that becomes an issue, basically no questions asked.

We also have probably the last few museum grade "new in crate" 8/1 and 12/2 British Original engines. These engines will most likely never be produced like these original beauties again.

If you really like the original iron, but not the budget for museum grade, then you might be interested in one of our rebuilt British originals... we have those available mostly in 6/1 flavor.
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 01:55:33 AM »

This is accurate... we do have a fresh container load of all models in our warehouse - including 18/1, 16/2, 30/2 and the original 6/1 and 8/1 clones. We stock all of the parts in good quantity and can guarantee you get a good bargain with one of these kits even if you find problems. We replace anything that becomes an issue, basically no questions asked.

We also have probably the last few museum grade "new in crate" 8/1 and 12/2 British Original engines. These engines will most likely never be produced like these original beauties again.

If you really like the original iron, but not the budget for museum grade, then you might be interested in one of our rebuilt British originals... we have those available mostly in 6/1 flavor.

Thanks and I will definitely be in touch to get one of those in the near future. I need to get this ST2 working first tho!

Do the Indians make spares for it too?

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »
Whats a museum grade or rebuilt British original running these days?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 02:53:33 PM »
Whats a museum grade or rebuilt British original running these days?

The last examples of something unique and beautiful in the world... never to be found again? Priceless...
I will let my extra ones go at 10k$, if you want them years down the road from now, probably a bit more than that.

The original British units rebuilt will run $3500 to $4500. Core value around 2k$, labor around 1k$, rebuild parts around 1k$ plus or minus.

dieselgman

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »
Hi Dieselgman, I am curious; are your 18/1 engines the 155mm x 177mm bore and stroke models or some other combination?

What is the current price of your 18/1's?
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »
I believe the 18/1 units we have are 130mm x 160mm, 750rpm (It has been a very long time since I measured one of them or looked up the specs though.)
Current pricing on this model is $3475

dieselgman

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 01:06:42 PM »
Thank you Dieselgman; very interesting (and tempting :laugh:)
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
Thank you Dieselgman; very interesting (and tempting :laugh:)

I too am waiting on Gary to locate and import some of those super sized singles. I will be customer #1 ;D