Author Topic: I GOT IT!!!  (Read 12628 times)

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: I GOT IT!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »
Google  " Raised hand starting on marine engines" there are pictures of all the arrangements

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »
Thanks again for all the replies fellas!

I think I found what "Raised hand start" means:

Which would be really neat if I had all the parts!

I still haven't been able to start the engine since I have had it here at home. I hope to get a battery and fashion a fuel tank to get it started today. I'd really like to fine some sort of air filter to cover the intake first tho.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:52:55 PM by lastlaugh »

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
Well, I got out today in the lovely Texas heat and tried to get it started again. I hooked my truck battery to the started with no luck. The solenoid is rusted all to crap and stuck. SO, I pulled it out by hand, and tried it like that. It turned the engine over for a sec, then stopped. Seemed like the battery ran out of grunt. I tried starting it by hand, but it is next to impossible. (I ripped a chunk of skin off my hand trying it). I did get it to turn over, and it was puffing black smoke, but I couldn't get it to catch and run by itself. Its either going to take a much stronger 12v battery, or a 24 volt system.

So, I decided to check the wiring on th eterminals coming from the gen head. They seems ok, so I hooked the battery to it, and tried the starter switch. It clicked, then buzzed for a second, but that is it. I'm almost positive that portion is 24v based on what you all have said and every video I have seen on youtube.

I'm still having trouble putting together in my mind how applying 24v to the gen head will turn the motor tho!

Also, is there a reason why my engine is so hard to turn by hand? It seems everyone on youtube can turn theirs fairly easily. Mine is almost impossible to move. Is it becuasue of the load the gen head puts on the engine? What can I do to make it easier to turn by hand or is that a product of a full rebuild and lube?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:25:40 PM by lastlaugh »

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 09:34:03 PM »
the gen and verify first the engine issus it must run good by hand decompressed. and it must start with 5/6 smart turns. after that think finaly the electric start and gen. pedrosa
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 12:26:48 AM »
Check the valve clearances and then adjust the decompression levers as per the manual. Could be the pistons are coming into contact with the valves or that you are trying to overcome compression while cranking.

The SOM drawing I posted  requires 24 volts for an ST2, 12 volts for ST1

If it has stood for a long time without an air filter or exhaust there is quite likely some surface rust in the bores. Just behind the decompressor levers there are two nylon plungers, lift these out and fill the two small cylinders with engine oil. Replace the plungers and push them all the way down. This will pump oil into the combustion chambers, lubricate the pistons and increase compression for cold starting.

Are you cranking it the right way? Some cranking handles can work in either direction. If you are cranking the wrong way the engine will blow air out of the air intake and suck through the exhaust.

Bob

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 01:52:30 AM »
Yes he started it with a battery connected to the starter directly. I didn't pay attention to what kind of battery, but it appeared to be a car battery. He was a heavy equipment mechanic tho, so it could have been a heads duty one.

I'm definitely turning it the right way. Direction is on the handle and only turns that direction. I figured it was just or crud from sitting for awhile.

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2018, 11:59:10 PM »
Well glort, I decided to stop being a cheapskate and go get 2 marine deep cycle batteries today. I wired tehm in series, and also replaced the old rotted terminals coming out of the gen box. I tested for continuity all the way to the slip rings, and everything appeared ok. So, I hooked it all up, and flipped the start switch.

It started like the day it was made! Crank very easily and putted right along. I tested the 110v outlet connected to it, and it was putting out right at 115v. I'm not sure how to check the total watts being put out, but everything seems to work perfect. One thing I did notice tho is that I'm not getting any current back on the terminals while the engine is running. Once it was running, I disconnected the batteries and tested the terminals. barely 2volts and 2.5Amps. This isnt enough to charge the batteries back, so I'm guessing that portion of the SOM isnt working.

Is my line of thinking correct or am I forgetting something??

Also, I really need a fuel tank for this thing. I'm currently using an old coffee can that I drilled a hole in the bottom of, inserted a grommet, and inserted the fuel line. It spilled today making a mess. Anyone know where to get a fuel tank for an ST2?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 01:44:13 AM »

Also, I really need a fuel tank for this thing. I'm currently using an old coffee can that I drilled a hole in the bottom of, inserted a grommet, and inserted the fuel line. It spilled today making a mess. Anyone know where to get a fuel tank for an ST2?
Lister ST fuel tanks and ALL other L/P parts are stocked in Kansas. Contact Gary - gsj@gci.net

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 03:12:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I do have a DC clamp meter but I didn't even think to use it!

I wondered the same thing about disconnecting the batteries. If I removed the load, the generator would no longer supply voltage to charge. I'll start it up again tomorrow and see what it looks like with the clamp meter.

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 03:13:51 AM »

Lister ST fuel tanks and ALL other L/P parts are stocked in Kansas. Contact Gary - gsj@gci.net

dieselgman

I emailed gary yesterday about the ST2 parts. He's getting back with me on prices. Thanks

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »
Well done Lastlaugh, finally got her running! :)

Had to fire mine up today, I really should do it every month. Very big bush fires near me will probably take out the local electricity grid this evening. Can`t fight fires without electricity as all my water pumps are electric.

Probably got 70,000 liters of water in the tanks and ten times that in the dam, despite the drought. Would be a real pisser to loose the house to a bush fire because the genny wouldn`t start.

Neighbors as close as 5 k from here are being evacuated (top end of my road). Could be in for a long night, hoping the wind will die down giving the fire service a breather.

Spent the afternoon with a weed eater removing every possible flammable piece of grass from around the house paddock, feeling reasonably secure, wish us luck.

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »
Last year, wildfires pushed by winds, swept into Santa Rosa, California, and because of the wind, the flames went through suburban neighborhoods, shopping malls with acres of blacktop parking lots, and business parks.
 It's tough to armor against that happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubbs_Fire

newspaper, with before & after aerial photos
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-northern-california-fires-structures/

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 12:33:40 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the support. We got through the night OK and the wind has died down. The road is still closed and I have never seen it so busy, a continuous stream of fire fighting equipment heading to Buccarumbi.

Gives me the shits that this fire was lit by the rural fire service as part of a hazard reduction burn and now covers 3000 acres of forest and is destroying peoples homes, livestock and property.

I do have a very powerful fire fighting pump (petrol) sadly I lent it to my neighbor when her pump failed. That was nine months ago and she`s still got it. Don`t feel right going and asking for it back as she is a pensioner living on her own.

I always keep the gutters clean as all our potable tank water comes off the roof of the house or shed. Thankfully the weather forecast is giving rain coming in on Friday so we just have to hope the wind stays calm till then.

I do have a plan to build another dam in the valley behind the house. It will flood the boundary fence so I will need to discus it with my next door neighbor but in light of the drought and fires I think he will probably agree, especially if I pay for it and he gets access to several mega liters of water. I might even put some fish in it. Nothing better than a free feed now and then. :)

I do have plans for putting a water main around the house paddock, this would be great for fire suppression and also for irrigating the fruit trees and vegetable patch. I`m not going to try digging a half kilometer trench until we get some rain, the ground is just too hard at the moment.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 02:08:10 AM »
Best wishes with your fire ordeal, Bob.  Arizona has had a dozen 50,000 acre fires in this White Mountains area that started as ''controlled burns'' in the last 30 years. Idiocy and incompetence are things you can count on, globally.

I'm in a swath of overgrazed high desert grassland (clumps with open dirt between) with very few junipers that extends up into the Petrified Forest.  No risk of brushfire here, the cattle even keep the sagebrush nibbled to the woody stub.  We do get plenty of smoke and combustion gasses. Big much promoted and federally funded program to do much more burning, calling it "natural".  It's much cheaper (not counting medical costs and excess deaths) than grazing goats.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 11:24:37 AM »
Thanks again for the support. About an hour ago we had the firemen come to our home to tell us that the fire was out of control and coming our way. Worse than that the weather forecast says that the wind will pick up and blow the fire towards us. I think my wife and I will stand and fight the fire rather than running and hoping the fire service will save our home and belongings. I have very severe concerns for my neighbors property as they are on holiday in Japan. I would like to try to save their home but don`t know if I can handle two properties at the same time.

We have water and R A Lister power if the grid goes out. We also have a very clear area around our home so we should be OK. The next 24 hours will be very taxing, I have prepared cans of diesel with 10% gasoline with the intention of back burning the bush around us so it never gets to us. Last time this happened there were 70 foot high walls of flame but the property survived. Fingers crossed we can do the same again.

Bob