Author Topic: I GOT IT!!!  (Read 12618 times)

lastlaugh

• View Profile
Re: I GOT IT!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 01:38:28 AM »
I may go with that color then!

Im really confused at the gen head now. Posted some pics on the Lister based generator subforum for anyone who knows about that particular thing.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 03:52:30 AM »
Glort, there's typically nothing but single phase for residential in the US.  3 phase for businesses, commercial buildings, etc.   But it is a hodge podge of over 900 private power companies so so there's all kinds of crazy stuff still around.  Older oddities tend to be left alone and just propped up.  No such thing as spending money to "standardize".

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »
North American standard 240v split phase is not the same as 3 phase.

240VAC Split Phase is produced off a single phase input transformer with center tapped secondary, producing for output, a single phase across the 240V outer terminals and two 120V legs with phases 180 degrees apart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

A 3 phase system can "sometimes work" but standard NA household wiring assumes a shared neutral and if you try 2 legs of 3 phase on it, you get 208V instead of 240V.  Some appliances don't care, some do.
 But you would still only be able to pull 2/3rds of the generator power.  Maybe its enough for you ?  Maybe no 240v gear ?

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
Was this the one on Craigslist just outside Austin?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »
Voltage will vary with the individual transformer and how it is tapped but 115 to 125 is common, at least in my area. Years ago 110 to 115 was the norm. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »
If youre a purist you'll want mid Brunswick green I prefer British Racing Green and it's cheap as chips in the states

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-BODY-SHOP-RESTORATION-PAINT-BRITISH-RACING-GREEN-KIT-SINGLE-STAGE-ENAMEL/390287526612?hash=item5adef30ad4%3Ag%3AQGYAAMXQueRRYbLg&_sacat=0&_nkw=british+racing+green+paint&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Well if the actual color matches the picture in the ad that comes closer than anything else I have seen or tried. I might just order some up and give it a go.  ;)

guest23837

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »
If youre a purist you'll want mid Brunswick green I prefer British Racing Green and it's cheap as chips in the states

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-BODY-SHOP-RESTORATION-PAINT-BRITISH-RACING-GREEN-KIT-SINGLE-STAGE-ENAMEL/390287526612?hash=item5adef30ad4%3Ag%3AQGYAAMXQueRRYbLg&_sacat=0&_nkw=british+racing+green+paint&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Well if the actual color matches the picture in the ad that comes closer than anything else I have seen or tried. I might just order some up and give it a go.  ;)

I have liked that colour since I got a Ford Cortina in the late 70's. It was Tan vinyl over BR green  If I had my way I'd paint everything BRG! note thats enamel paint in the link you can brush or spray it, automotive paint especially the water based spray on type that needs lacquer always looks darker to me.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »
Here in Australia I have found Brunswick Green manufactured by Dulux. I have also found a color called cottage green which is almost indistinguishable and half the price.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
No Dulux here Bob. EPA said if we kept spraying it we would burn up from climate change,, or was it freeze to death???? Cant remember.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 02:09:37 PM »
I`m sure i read somewhere that 90% of the automotive paints in the USA are manufactured by the prison service using prisoner labour. I have no problem with penitentiaries making paint but it worries me that they don`t have the vision to provide the colors people want or need.

I`m reasonably certain that Dulux paints are standard oil based products using mineral turpentine as a solvent. What do the EPA recommend as an alternative?

Any chance the Donald could be persuaded to declare war on the EPA and leave the rest of the world alone for a while?

Bob

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 09:35:58 PM »
Was this the one on Craigslist just outside Austin?

Yes, it was.

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 01:54:32 AM »
Nice! I almost snagged that one myself. Good on ya!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
I`m sure i read somewhere that 90% of the automotive paints in the USA are manufactured by the prison service using prisoner labour.
Bob

Good example of dont believe everything you read on the internet, ;)   

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 03:40:13 AM »
Ok, I have been reading the ST2 manual all week and have come upon the "ST2 Builds and Accessories" section. This explains the original option the engine came with from the factory. My build number (A28) says this:

Marine auxiliary triple survey, clockwise rotation, close coupled fan shroud for raised hand starting and with starter blanking plate. Long running/sump heater crankcase. Standard flywheel with starter ring. Fuel pumps set to no overload.

Governor set to 2600 rev/min
Governor range 1200-2100 (outside 8% governing limit)
                                2100-2600 (within 8% governing limit)

Can someone interpret that for me?

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 10:40:53 AM »
Ok, I have been reading the ST2 manual all week and have come upon the "ST2 Builds and Accessories" section. This explains the original option the engine came with from the factory. My build number (A28) says this:

Marine auxiliary triple survey, clockwise rotation, close coupled fan shroud for raised hand starting and with starter blanking plate. Long running/sump heater crankcase. Standard flywheel with starter ring. Fuel pumps set to no overload.

Governor set to 2600 rev/min
Governor range 1200-2100 (outside 8% governing limit)
                                2100-2600 (within 8% governing limit)

Can someone interpret that for me?

Here's a layman's thoughts

"marine auxiliary triple survey" probably just means it was intended to be used on a boat, but not necessarily as the engine that powered the boat but one that ran a generator or lighting, or other systems - and maybe that it was subject to "survey" in that there were rules governing its safe use in marine circumstances & maybe around it's maintenance schedules to keep it reliable so it didn't break down out in the middle of the bloody ocean

"clockwise rotation" is, well, clockwise rotation of the crankshaft when viewed from one particular end (and that doesn't matter to you, probably, cos it will only run in the way that makes the fan work properly to push air over the motor?)

"close coupled" usually just means something that is attached to the end of the crankshaft and driven (in this case the fan) as opposed to being driven by pulleys and a belt

"raised starting" maybe just means the design of the fan housing leaves room for a hand-crank handle as it doesn't have an electric starter motor

Which would be why it has the "blanking plate" over the hole where the starter motor would otherwise be?

"long running sump and sump heater crankcase" probably refer to the oil capacity of the sump (big sump = tolerance for a long run if no-one remembers to check the oil or if it isn't turned off for weeks at a time, maybe?) and maybe the oil system has a heater such as is common in cold climes so the whole goddamn motor doesn't freeze and seize? And so oil will flow on startup in cold temps, maybe?

"Standard flywheel with starter ring" (ring gear) suggests if you took the "blanking plate off you could probably fit a starter motor?

"fuel pumps set to no overload" might be something to do with the combination of the size of the element in the pump and the movement of the rack?  Possibly set up so that the motor can't get enough fuel to hurt itself?

Other, better-informed folk will chime in here . . .