Author Topic: I GOT IT!!!  (Read 2557 times)

lastlaugh

• View Profile
Re: I GOT IT!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
Thats bad news on the gen head. 8.5kW is enough to power my cabin. One third of that is not! I may have to look up how to wire it to single phase.

Just amazes me.  There is so much so easily available and so Cheap in the states compared to what the rest of us have to work with yet you can't get paint in the colour you want...... or small diesel engines. Makes no sense at all.
Now we can get ANY colour paint we want here AND we can post it anywhere in the world...... For the right price.    :laugh:

Don't understand why the sampling of colours is no good. I have never failed to be amazed how spot on it is here.  I'm sure the machines aren't only available here and no where else. Most likley be developed in the US and sent this way.
The colour formula page I linked to has hexidecimal and RGB color codes.  I can reproduce RGB on my printer so i'm lost as to why such a universal formula can't be applied to paint. I KNOW RGB is used the world over.

otherwise, you need a expensive 3-ph transformer that will convert to 9kw of usable single phase

Not Necessarily.
Depending on how the generator is wired/ built, it may ( and Usually is with our power system gennys here) to wire the outputs so you can get 3 or single phase out the same head. I don't see why it would be any different with US standard gennys.
Not all of them can do it but if you have a 12 wire output you certainly can.

Believe me, finding a Lister here in the US is NOT easy at all, and when you do, you usually pay out the nose for it. I just happened to get extremely lucky!

I'm not sure if its a 12 wire output or not. I'll get better pictures when I get home.

Thanks again for the responses, and advice fellas!

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 10:35:34 PM »
Come on man, it's easy, just split the load, or am I being stupid?

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
Come on man, it's easy, just split the load, or am I being stupid?

Cheers Stef

I was wondering the same thing, but I know next to nothing about generators!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 12:17:38 AM »

3 Phase would be an advantage if there is any heavy machinery to run.  Big motor and in industrial use are always 3 phase here but we have a different electrical system. 
Isn't US 3phase automatically at every outlet and you split it to get single phase outlets?

We tend to have it the other way, Domestic outlets are single phase and wired from the box to the appliance for  2 phases ( yes, it exists) or 3 phase.

If the genny for some reason can't be wired to single phase, a VFD may be an economical option.

The only thing with Load splitting on a 3 phase is you are supposed to keep the loads even. I have found that is pretty much not a concern.
The parroted mantra is you can make the thing overheat but I find that illogical in theroy and practice. having a no or low load phase gives more opportunity for cooling and the only way to over heat is to overload a single winding.  Imbalanced loads on a big heavy rotating mass like this are not going to mean squat.  I'll bet with some care and effort you could Imbalance a phase or two and counteract the engines power pulses to get the thing to run smoother!   :laugh:

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 01:38:28 AM »
I may go with that color then!

Im really confused at the gen head now. Posted some pics on the Lister based generator subforum for anyone who knows about that particular thing.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 03:52:30 AM »
Glort, there's typically nothing but single phase for residential in the US.  3 phase for businesses, commercial buildings, etc.   But it is a hodge podge of over 900 private power companies so so there's all kinds of crazy stuff still around.  Older oddities tend to be left alone and just propped up.  No such thing as spending money to "standardize".

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »
North American standard 240v split phase is not the same as 3 phase.

240VAC Split Phase is produced off a single phase input transformer with center tapped secondary, producing for output, a single phase across the 240V outer terminals and two 120V legs with phases 180 degrees apart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

A 3 phase system can "sometimes work" but standard NA household wiring assumes a shared neutral and if you try 2 legs of 3 phase on it, you get 208V instead of 240V.  Some appliances don't care, some do.
 But you would still only be able to pull 2/3rds of the generator power.  Maybe its enough for you ?  Maybe no 240v gear ?

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 08:58:53 AM »
North American standard 240v split phase is not the same as 3 phase.

240VAC Split Phase is produced off a single phase input transformer with center tapped secondary, producing for output, a single phase across the 240V outer terminals and two 120V legs with phases 180 degrees apart

Thanks for that.

What is the actual Standard voltage  ( if you have one?) 110 or 120V?  Always seems odd to me the voltage is so low which makes the amps so High.

Ours used to be 240v but was lowered to 230V.  Many people with solar whom pay attention to line voltage find it much above that and beyond the limit of 253V. The power company's excuse is solar backfeed but as many have observed, their solar backfeed at night doesen't tend to be very high at midnight and the voltage is still on the high side.

The lowest voltage I have ever seen here is 234 and most times even at night it's more likely to be 245-248. Lazy power co's won't keep the transformers  correctly tapped and that happens everywhere.  Most likley saves them paying feedback rates for solar because makes them a lot easier to trip out on high voltage protection which is built into the inverters.

Here 3 Phase standard is 400V but 415 and 440 is much more popular for appliance ratings.  Can go up to 480 and beyond as well.

I noticed some of the info for Oceania on the link is incorrect.

Most Homes here have 3 Phase run to the house but most would only have 2 phase's connected.  Generally there are the 3 Phase inks in the meter box but the house itself may only tap what it wants.  There was a practice to use 3 phase for a while in places such as this that had heavy demands to spread and balance the loads from the pole but now they have gone back to high current single phase depending on what the size of the load is.

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
Was this the one on Craigslist just outside Austin?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »
Voltage will vary with the individual transformer and how it is tapped but 115 to 125 is common, at least in my area. Years ago 110 to 115 was the norm. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »
If youre a purist you'll want mid Brunswick green I prefer British Racing Green and it's cheap as chips in the states

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-BODY-SHOP-RESTORATION-PAINT-BRITISH-RACING-GREEN-KIT-SINGLE-STAGE-ENAMEL/390287526612?hash=item5adef30ad4%3Ag%3AQGYAAMXQueRRYbLg&_sacat=0&_nkw=british+racing+green+paint&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Well if the actual color matches the picture in the ad that comes closer than anything else I have seen or tried. I might just order some up and give it a go.  ;)

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »
If youre a purist you'll want mid Brunswick green I prefer British Racing Green and it's cheap as chips in the states

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-BODY-SHOP-RESTORATION-PAINT-BRITISH-RACING-GREEN-KIT-SINGLE-STAGE-ENAMEL/390287526612?hash=item5adef30ad4%3Ag%3AQGYAAMXQueRRYbLg&_sacat=0&_nkw=british+racing+green+paint&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Well if the actual color matches the picture in the ad that comes closer than anything else I have seen or tried. I might just order some up and give it a go.  ;)

I have liked that colour since I got a Ford Cortina in the late 70's. It was Tan vinyl over BR green  If I had my way I'd paint everything BRG! note thats enamel paint in the link you can brush or spray it, automotive paint especially the water based spray on type that needs lacquer always looks darker to me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:43:27 PM by Johndoh »
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »
Here in Australia I have found Brunswick Green manufactured by Dulux. I have also found a color called cottage green which is almost indistinguishable and half the price.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
No Dulux here Bob. EPA said if we kept spraying it we would burn up from climate change,, or was it freeze to death???? Cant remember.