Author Topic: Identify this part....  (Read 2081 times)

guest22972

Identify this part....
« on: August 07, 2018, 02:30:08 PM »

This was advertised just up the road from me so I thought I'd get it for the shed/ mancave wall.

Anyone know what it is?  Not a competition, I have no idea. it's listed as a flywheel but seems unlikley.  Just wondering if anyone can tell me what I have bought!  :0)

dax021

• View Profile
Re: Identify this part....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »
How thick is it?  Looks like it could be a wheel for a cart.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »
I reckon it's the plate which retains a circular piece of "sandpaper" onto a backing plate on a grinder which is used to sharpen sheep-shearing cutter combs on "Lister" shearing power plants?

Here, and probably in Australia - Lister engines were used for decades to power shearing plants, and the company branched out into small mobile petrol-powered shearing and dagging plants, grinders, accessories etc etc

Check out the grinder attachment on this unit - see the shaft and nut?  I THINK your plate goes on something like that

https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/other/listing-1722788724.htm?rsqid=7df0c6f1d9a14f11bf543be55458821d

I could easily be wrong - after several decades of being married to a schoolteacher I am well accustomed to being wrong . . .

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
Cover for some type of filter housing or a case access cover?
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »
What diameter is it and does the other side look the same or is it flat? If it`s flat and around 600 mm diameter it is probably a pedestal of some sort. If the other side is the same then it must be some sort of flywheel, probably off one of the Lister shearing plants. If it`s only small in diameter then it is probably for sharpening shearing equipment.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
Looks like a hub cap off one of the early CS driven flying saucers as piloted by Dan Dare in the late 30's to me...........

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 12:44:36 PM »
Mike is right I have an identical one on my crutching plant.