Author Topic: Resurrection of a Lister 12/2  (Read 6113 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Resurrection of a Lister 12/2
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2018, 08:12:58 AM »
Hi Pedrosa

It's not that I can't find the answer on the web, but that it holds no 'real world' relevance in my head!

When I moved to France I found it weird that they use the 24 hour clock in normal conversation, ( speak and can count enough in French to understand it!) Having done the best part of 14 years in the military and Lord knows how long at sea I'm quite happy with the format, but I still don't like using it in general conversation, no idea why.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

sirpedrosa

• Just one more day hoping to hear that sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »
HI DS

Thats because you don't realy need it, and thats great. And not needing makes us much happier, don't you agree?

BR
VP
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »
Hi VP

Having worked in both imperial and metric for years I can  switch between the two with little trouble, the only thing my head won't go around is fuel consumption for my car, it has to be in miles per gallon. Liters per 100 kilometers I can't envisage.

Down at engineering levels 40 thou (0.04") is a millimeter and easy to remember.

OK, it's 0.0393700787402 if you want to be picky!

Cheers
Stef

It's interesting talking to a "modern" mechanic he uses " drive ratchet on a 13mm socket but he would have no idea what  a " spanner fits or looks like. The only people in Ireland using imperial spanners are guys repairing lawnmowers or restoring vintage cars  and not all of them use imperial either. I have imperial sockets and spanners and when using them you remember how few tools older machines needed. My car, a Seat, uses 16 mm spanners on M12 bolts and 18 mm spanners on M14. I wonder how much metal they save making a nut or bolt head that little bit smaller. My torque wrench is in ft lbs I tried to explain to a friend what ft lb means but I started losing the will to live.
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »
Hey Johndoh, I worked as a machinist during the transition from imperial to metric in the UK. What a cluster f*ck. The whole purpose of the exercise was to move everything to a decimal based measurement system that was easy for computers to understand and control. Thousands of very skilled men lost their jobs to machines because of this, apprenticeships went out the window and the government were able to shut down all the training facilities. Give me feet and inches anytime, I can do the math in my head. Good on the USA for sticking with what was a much better system.

Here in Australia I can still buy imperial thread nuts and bolts, problem is they are made in China out of metric hexagonal bar! So a 5/16 bolt might have a 12mm head, f*cking madness!

Bob

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2018, 01:30:58 PM »
Hi Bob

It's to have an imperial bolt but with a metric head. The Chinese make whatever product you want - as long as it's sold ...

I printed this chart (https://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/science/wrench-conversion.htm), and pined it in my white board. It works great.

Cheers
VP
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 02:03:48 PM by sirpedrosa »

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
An imperial headed bolt with a metric thread and vice versa is plain stupid. People are stupid enough without adding to their store of things they dont understand. My local hardware shop still sells loose nuts and bolts. They have a metal ruler on the counter with holes in it for various sizes of bolts. Buy a few bolts and they stick one into a hole until it fits, then they measure it. I can just pick out the bolts I want without thinking about it. Lucky for these morons they don't sell BSF or whitworth or UNF etc. Pipe thread is still imperial sized here it's a good idea to avoid any salesman or salesperson under 60 if you need pipe fittings

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »
I'm rarely the one to say 'You're wrong' but this time I must!

Ignorance is lack of knowledge, it will eventually cause wisdom - See several of Terry Pratchett' books.

The days of everything being made to a particular specification went along with the British motor cycle industry, as long as the thread of the replacement bolt conforms to whatever relic one is trying to maintain / rebuild what matters the distance 'across the flats' of the hexagonal bits? If there's nothing else to hand then I'll re drill and re tap to suit with whatever I've got to hand. Keeping it all running is paramount, IMHO.

If you want concourse, then there are endless motorcycle and car events every summer, for the ultimate 'gong hunter' you can even take your classic car or bike to the - long forgotten - site of the original works and fill the tyres with 'Factory Fitted Air'

And the 'Stupid' are going to cock it up anyway........

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2018, 10:19:09 PM »
Hey Stef, my frustration with this is that I used to be able to determine if a thread was metric or imperial by the size of the nut/bolt head. I now have to spend twice as long mucking about with micrometers and thread gauges.

Please don`t get me onto pipe fittings, especially hydraulic and pneumatic fittings. AAARRGG  :laugh:

Intelligence is the ability to learn from ones own mistakes, wisdom is the ability to learn from the mistakes of others.

Bob

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2018, 12:20:11 AM »
Hi Bob

We must have enough white hair to not cut wrists. Leave the fustrations and rejoice in being able to vent with half a dozen boys from the rest of the world.

As the other said the mistakes are the bill that wasn't paid at school. But now what counts is that we can make a mistake and start all over again.

It only costs money? less cigarettes to burn or diamonds that ex-wifes never deserved.

And the children are happy because they realize that we still do not have Alzheimer's (it's better than Parkinson, because with Parkinson you turn your glass of good wine to the ground, and with Alzheimer's you drink and forget to pay).

Intelligence or wisdom are synonymous that we refuse to stop learning ...

Cheers to ALL
VP

ps: minor corrections...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:47:32 AM by sirpedrosa »

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2018, 09:58:27 PM »
Hi Folks

Another day scraping rust and scale, o'rings are clean, wrist pins are fitted and fine tuned. The pile is growing...

Cheers
VP

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2018, 01:56:49 AM »
Updating...

Does anyone know how to remove the main plug from VOC when the head has already been removed from the cylinder, as red pointed in the pic.

BR
VP

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2018, 02:08:08 AM »
Mine was so seized in place I drilled a M12 hole through it, made a puller, dragged it out and just bought a new part

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
I see the prices in that photo are in pounds shillings and pence I somehow doubt the modern moronic shop assistant could cope with that currency and the alternative names for some things like a tanner, a bob, a guinea or half a crown. Decimal currency is definitely easier to count but back in the day 12 pence = one shilling was easy. If you had a few pennies in your pocket you felt good now in Ireland a 50.00 bill is regarded as pocket change.

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2018, 12:21:57 PM »
Mine was so seized in place I drilled a M12 hole through it, made a puller, dragged it out and just bought a new part

Hi Mikenash

I can not afford that luxury, I have to save as many pieces as I can. "Money is veeery exxxpensive!"

Even though I have to clean them when the engine is already fully assembled and working, and do as they say in the manual.

But I'm sure someone knows a good way to extrat it.

BR
VP

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »
Sirpedrosa:
We tried all kinds of things to remove the plug. first the recommended methods. No Joy. Then  few creative but non destructive ways........still no joy. Heat did not work, even threading and using a puller did not work. We ended up destroying it then buying a replacement. Maybe just leave it alone if your does not come out easily and you do not want to purchase a new one.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project