Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ashwamegh 25/2 :the saga continues  (Read 8557 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Ashwamegh 25/2 :the saga continues
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 11:12:48 PM »
Brand new one for sale here with some good pics: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/violet-town/miscellaneous-goods/diesel-generator/1191994009

1000 rpm, hope the balance and flywheel castings are OK

Bob

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 10:41:21 PM »
Hi Willw,

The oil line enters the top weir dipstick hole and stops just at the upper oil level, by adjusting the stop collar on the pipe I can set the depth that the pipe reaches to. The oil tank is sealed and only allows oil out when air can enter the pipe from below, ie as the oil level falls... As a bubble of air enters the tank, it lets a few drops of oil out, the oil level rises, and no more air enters the pipe, oil stops flowing out the tank....

The height of the tank itself has no bearing on the oil level in the sump whatsoever... But the depth that the pipe reaches into the sump does!

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:50:34 AM »
Hi EdDee, thank you for the explanation of the oil tank. Ingenious system. :D
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 11:11:32 PM »
I first saw this at Aunt Gladys's in about 1950.  We'd fill the jug with water and flip it upside down in a pan for the chickens.  Once the vacuum got established the water slowed to a "as used/needed" flow.  I just built something very much like it for plants I leave for weeks at a time inside the house  My neighbor stops by every couple of weeks and fills the used gallon juice jug.  The oil sump is a great application.  Bravo.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Matt12

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 09:07:52 PM »
I just can't get this thing to produce power.

I sent the cam to Butch who installed the new weights and see no change.

The engine will pull about 1600 watts but if I load it with another 1000 watts it just won't
do the deed.

With  no load I set the speed to 720 engine rpms. That will give me 1800 at the gen head.
I see 120 volts at 63 HZ. With a 1600 load it does 117 volts @60 HZ.
But another 1000 watts and the voltage will fall to 93 volts @ 54 HZ.

The engine is not "working" at this speed the governor just won't "pick up".

I tried several springs and spring combinations.

I am thinking a larger gen pulley to bring the engine rpms up to about 800 or so.

The engine has always run very close EGT's but I see a slight difference now. I guess this is do
to the new cam lobe on the #1 cylinder. I haven't reset the timing on that side yet but I don't believe
it is enough to cause the problem I am having.

I am open to ideas.

Gary

Hi Garry,

It sounds like a too short or weak governor spring,  as you know, the spring pulls the rack open until the revs come up and the gov weights throw outward and pull the rack back to the set speed, it has to be the spring.
Matt

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »
Update......after thinking about this for a while I dug throught my
junk and came up with a new 2B pulley and center.

The shaft size was larger so I turned a sleeve for it.

The new pulley is about 1" larger in diameter so if my numbers
are correct it should bring the engine up around 830 rpm or so
from the current 720 or there about.

If I gather the strength tomorrow I'll fire it up and see if it will bring the govenor in line where it will pull a load.

Enjoy !

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2018, 10:09:59 PM »
Looks like you need to find a better key. You are going to be depending on the taper lock for most of the strength with that setup.

IIRC you are in the US. Check out https://www.huyett.com/  They carry offset and oddball key stock.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:12:56 PM by broncodriver99 »

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 10:27:11 PM »

Thanks for the tip, I somehow totaly missed that !

Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »

Today's saga.....

Had some key stock handy so a small task completed.

This engine starts and runs so nice. The temps are so close while running under load.

So here is what we got:

Engine no load is 856 rpms turning the gen at 1850. So my numbers were pretty close.

Engine loaded at 36 amps is 820 rpms engine and 1750 .

Hz is 61.4 no load with 58.3 hz with a 4.3 KW load.

It is better but no where I think it should be. I'm thinking it should pull 7 to 10 kw .....thoughts ??

I will add that startup was one of the easiest so far. I installed the pulley adjusted the slide for the gen
and set belt tension and on start and running I didn't have to touch it ! The usual method is starting and
stepping numerous time to get the belts to track correctly.

I installed.the factory spring and on startup I had to turn the thumb screw a couple of turns to dial it in.

Easiest startup yet  First spin, no problems......

I will begin the process of different springs again and see if I can get the thing to pull a load. It is better but
still no where near to my expectations.....

Enjoy !

Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 12:51:49 AM »
I know you have been through all that, but I can't help thinking it sounds like a governor issue:

Load comes on.  RPMs drop.  Governor weights move.  linkage opens fuel rack.  RPS increase.  Governor weights move back a bit . . .

I'm not thinking of it from a Lister person's POV cos I don't know enough about them - but from an idiot engineer's point of view, I'm asking myself about the relationship between RPMs dropping in response to load and governor weights responding . . . I'm assuming you have played with that process?  Maybe allowing the RPMs to drop quite a bit to see at what point the governor responds and how?

Excuse me covering ground that has already been traversed

Good luck.  Mike

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »
Hi 32 Coupe, I`ve been watching this thread for a while without commenting because I too believed it was an issue with the governor, governor spring and etc. There are a lot of people on the forum with much more experience of governor problems than me and I thought they would sort you out.

There are a couple of other issues that will cause an engine to under perform, even with a perfect governing setup. The first is exhaust back pressure and the second is inlet flow. How big are the inlet and exhaust valves, are they proportionately bigger than those on a 6/1 or 12 /2? If not it is never going to produce the power you are expecting. Ditto for the inlet and exhaust ports. How large are the air filters and exhaust pipes? I recommend you try running it without an exhaust or inlet manifold, if this produces a significant improvement in output you have your answer and need to make changes to the valves and ports or change the cylinder heads.

Wouldn`t surprise me at all to find you have a minimally modified 6/1 head on a significantly larger cylindered engine.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
I did the calculations on your engine RPM vs hertz numbers and it appears that you have fixed your belt slipping issues.
Now before you tear into anything you need to do as has been advised here. Load it just as youdid previously then push the on the racks while watching hertz or RPM., If it is strictly a governor problem,it should briskly come back to speed. If it does not pickup you have HP issues not governor issues.  If it comes back but is sluggish about it you have HP issues. The engine must run right for the governor to work as designed and the governor must work right to produce the advertised HP. It is two separate issues but they are intertwined.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 04:30:04 PM »
+1 for 38ac's assessment, though I thought it was already done and confirmed to be governor.

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »

I have been using the stock intake manifold with the stock filter setup with stock exhaust mufflers.

With that said, yes I can gently rest a finger on the rack and the engine will  come up to speed.

I haven't had the chance to try differnt springs yet but that will be on the list for tomorrow.

Again, the engine starts right up, runs with no smoke and the exhaust and head temps are within 5 degrees
of each other. No binding in the linkages anywhere.

I thought by going from 750 rpms to 850 would solve the problem, but still no luck.

Gary

Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2018, 06:45:24 PM »
If it doesn't hunt, you haven't tried a soft enough spring.  Just barely more than hunting is as good as can be done. A way too soft spring can be added in parallel to stop hunting.  I think 38ac reported the Amish regulator spring is a screen door screen, quite long.