Author Topic: Diesel Conversion Project.  (Read 649 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Diesel Conversion Project.
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2018, 08:01:39 AM »
Good thinking Mike, then he`ll need a bigger shed to store it in, which he will fill with engines and other associated detritus. He will then need another shed and so on adifinitum until he needs to move house again. The new property will need to be massive with aircraft hangers all covered in solar panels.  :laugh:

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »

Did the wheel conversion Today.  Took the mountings out some spare Tiller axles and Centred them in some wheel Hubs with the aide of a magnetic welding square and a bit of steel.  They run surprisingly true.  I did them inside out because the way the wheel was pressed gave teh flat hub some self centering and they were not quite small though to fit inside on the wheel hub face anyway. Gives the wheels more track and they are 2 position in now instead of at the end.  I will take the tiller tines off all together and bring them in a little more.

Here is another angle with a gratuitous Pup shot for the pet lovers in the audience.  Was surprised she sat still that long in the middle of what she thought was a game of fetch.

I'd like to make up a better front mounting and a bull bar for pushing things. There isn't a lot of Mounting points surprisingly so I'll have to weld on a couple of mounts right back and bring them forward and maybe support with some pieces on the back of the engine mounts.
other thing I want to do is hook up the throttle cable. There is very basic and rudimentary provision for it on the engine but it will be about a 98% Fabrication job.  A very fiddly, cramped pain in the butt fab job that is sure to have the blue words flowing freely.

Gave it a test run and I tried holding the thing back on the grass and it slipped pretty easy. Couldn't tell much difference between that and the bar Tyres.  I did take it on some ploughed dirt and the thing just dragged me along.  For some reason has heaps more bite in that which is what I want. Didn't get to test with the ripper as it's now too short so I have started working on another hitch which I'll make all the tools to suit and have it as ajustable rather than fixed height.

The wheels I had were only 14's but still an improvement on the 9' Fitted. Specs say they are 7" but the tyres on mine say 9 but still an improvement.
Best bit is there is plenty of room for weight.  Might get away with concrete bit If I could find lots of small steel offcuts, punch plugs or Mill balls and put them in as a filler with the concrete, so much better.
Glad I balanced those tyres, wouldn't want them to shake the Tractor on those High speed passes!

As for the gearing, not a problem at all. Thing has 2 " crawler" gears which I tried and they are still incredibly slow.  3rd which I think is the main gear in low range and conveniently opposite reverse, is a perfect walking pace for me with these Tyres so very happy.  5th gear gear will be road speed.  Tried that ( accidentally ) and engaging the clutch a bit sudden at a fast idle has the thing skid the tyres on the grass and nearly pulled me flat on my ugly Dial.
Caught up enough to pull the clutch out  but it was a good run.

I have been looking for a tractor since we Bought the place which is over a year now.  Before they were priced near new, now there is nothing hardly about at all. Saw a couple posted last night in far off places like wherethefukarewe but haven't seen any for ages.  beel looking for a little excavator which I came to think would have been better anad there was none of those either. Went to an auction with a mate bout a month ago as we were going to go halves in one and the prices that rubbish you wouldn't touch went for what ridiculous.  We did miss one that would have been good.
Mate looked at it but passed because it had a badly knocking engine.  I have the same engine in the shed so when he told me I told him to buy it straight off.  Unfortunately was sold, probably to someone else with a running engine of the same type in their shed!

Too late Bob, I already have approval from the council planning officer ( the Mrs) to extend my little bush shed. She wants it half way across the back and for me to run power and water up there and put a fire place in so we can have BBQ's and sit round.  Given the amount of times well need to do that I don't think it will be a problem moving all the machinery out of there. Things like chainsaws and hedge trimmers can stay as wall art.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »
even has gum trees . . .

Nice place.  Must be a million miles from no where to be that cheap for such a nice house and so much land.

I like this one just down the road about 10 Min from where I am now.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-ellis+lane-126595282

Nearly bought it before this place but there was a bit of backhandedness with the agent and the buyer I reckon. Maybe they bit off more than they could chew as they are trying to get out after a year if that.

I like it here. I wouldn't care about moving house to something nicer but I would stay in the area that's for sure.  Unless I could convince the Mrs to go north to the coast. then I'd be really happy.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »
Glort, what a tool! (I`m talking about the tool not Glort) All it needs now is some sort of chariot to go behind it and maybe a turbo charger and it`s worthy of a place in a Mad Max movie. You could get rego and the missus could run it around the supermarket as a state of the art invalid carriage.

Please check my post in more panels regarding your wife feeling cold.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 11:22:48 AM »

I offered the Mrs. the tractor mower ( no cutting deck) to take herself round the yard so she could get out the house and get round the place.
didn't like that Idea.  Then I told her she could take it up the town as a mobility scooter.  I'd put a little bull bar on the front, a light bar, a LOUD horn and take the Muffler off and put exhaust stacks on it.  No one would get in her way.

Funny, she didn't seem real impressed with my generous offer.

The turbo I'll save for the horozontal Diesel.  ALL diesels NEED a turblow.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »

Made up a hitch today for a plough/ scraper blade.  Thought I'd make it adjustable so I could allow for whatever wheels I wants to put on the thing.
I thought I was getting a bit carried away with the other one I made which was fixed and now needs Fixing again so I can use it with the taller wheels.

Used some lighter gauge box section which was so much easier to drill through for the hitch pin hole. Been using heavy stuff with is a pain to drill  and cut.  Found a bracket that perfectly fitted the round pipe I wanted to use to hold the implements I have plenty of so could use the same thing for whatever I wanted.  I was worried about a single bracket but thought I'd test it out and see how I went and to stop over engineering everything.

MIG was mucking around so time I finished was nearly dark. Had done nothing with the blade but I decided I just had enough light to see if the thing would grip enough to pull the 2" pipe through the ground before I wasted my time with anything else that would be way too much to drag.
Got on the Dirt and the tractor pulled the pipe through like a champ. Surprisingly deep and with not much loss of traction.

The pipe then started getting cockeyed so I grapped a shifter and tightened up the loose nuts on the bracket, Went again and came loose again and a 3rd time.  Figured something was amiss and i'd look at it tomorrow. Took it back to the shed and the sensor light came on and I saw the problem.
The thin ( regular) walled box section was distorted and stretched to hell. Where the bracket is,  the thing has pulled that side out to a Diamond shape.
I marveled at the amount of force to do that.

So, back to the drawing board tomorrow and back to the thick Box section.
Going to have to find me a good drill sharpener.  Been shown a number of times but drill sharpening is something I have never mastered. Might get it perfect one day then I could sharpen a new drill to a stub and still the thing wouldn't cut Puss.  I'm going to need a big drill to make up these Hitches and I'm going to need to keep it sharp too.  Some of my other good ones are getting pretty tired as well and need a freshen up.

Mate used to give me a heap of drills from where he worked at the aerospace factory. Only ever the 3 sizes they used though. All as new, in never been sharpened. He got buckets of them.  I asked why they went through so many and didn't just sharpen them. He laughed and said 80% of the metal workers there wouldn't even know you could sharpen a drill.  Cheaper apparently to buy a new one than have them standing round trying to sharpen them and failing anyway.

Guess I may not be as useless as I generally feel.

Anyway, I'm satisfied this thing won't be a complete waste of time and with a bit of weight in it, should  have a good chance of doing what I want and some serious Ripping.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 02:34:28 PM »

A bit of a round about more work on the Tractor today.

Pulled a lot of flax out the garden the other week and with Daughters lone awaited return tomorrow, mrs wanted it cleaned up for the weekend welcome home Surprise party.  Didn't want to put it all in the back of the ute and have the crap everywhere so I thought it was time to put the project I thought about a while ago and wanted to utilise for the tractor into action.

Grabbed the IBC cage I had up the back, bit of 50mm thickwall sq tube, the hubs I brought home months ago and the wheels.
Welded the hubs to the sq section, welded that to the IBC. Pit of fence post for a drawbar and Wala! Garden trailer.
Worked well, especially to show me what I did wrong and should change.

The wide track I don't mid, adds stability and is as wide as the car the hubs came off. That will give better high speed cornering because I think I read that JD can get up to about 8 Kmh but the tractor would leave that for dead.  I think they can do 20, certainly a hell of a lot faster than I can run after the thing.
Everything else could be better though. 

I should have welded the axle with the wheels up instead of down to lower the trailer.  Probably should make a frame and sit the IBC in it and have a floor  so the thing can carry engines and the like around and the cage can be removeable. Was also thinking of using some heavy round tube I have, Mounting that to the drawbar, adding outriggers at the front and using that to mount my winch Crane style . Might be a bit overkill for what I'd use that for though.   
I loaded the thing up with the plants, climbed up on top and jumped up and down and bet the drawbar. Wasn't a solid piece as I thought, it's actually 2 with a piece of pipe inside to join them which was what bent.  No mind, I'll make up a proper triangle draw bar and extend it so I can put a seat on the thing to drive the tractor from Asian farmer style.

I was also thinking I might grab another set of hubs with Disks and brake calipers and a Master Cylinder and put brakes on the thing.  Tractor has none and if I do tow something heavy on my angled block, Might get interesting. Set of rear hubs with the handbrake  Might be OK  though and I wouldn't need a long lever to put enough pressure on the master Cylinder.

I'll also get a set of mags with low profile tyres for looks.  I was thinking I could get a pair of mudgards and mount them over the wheels and then I thought could put in a set of blinkers and parkers as well.  then I got to thinking, why not just cut off a whole rear end but then I realised I was getting waay over the top and going from something that took 20 min to throw together to something that would be just easier to bring a whole car  down and modify that! Certainly be the fastest  yard trailer around!

Another thing I'll have to do is make up an adaptor  for one of the tractors so the Hitch fittings are the same although maybe the one on the 2 wheel tractor will be OK on the 4 wheeler with a different pin.

Anyway, for a quick job this will be handy till I get some more bits for a better one.
As they say, nothing so permanent as a temporary fix.

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2018, 12:02:35 PM »
I have a honda frc 800.  beast of a machine runs great and is just a great tiller.