Puppeteer

Author Topic: Diesel Conversion Project.  (Read 10020 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Diesel Conversion Project.
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
Hey Glort...

I have made similar blades in the past, here's how I did it....

Materials required:

Steel section, DOUBLE the height of the blade required, cut to correct length.
2x channel iron, heavy section, at blade length
2x chain blocks
2x chains

Tack weld the channels down the long edges of the plate to bend
Hook the chain blocks to a suitable point and then to the chain, wrapping one turn of the chain around the channels/plate, then the chains to another suitable point.
Pull the chain blocks evenly, the channel stops the edges from bending, and keep going until a suitable parabolic shape is formed. (Note: the channels are on the outside edges of the bend.)
Once the initial bend has formed, remove the chain wrap and link the chains/blocks directly to the channels, much less pull is required as the curve increases...

When you have the correct curve on the blade after releasing the tension, section the parabola down its length, you then have a blade plus a spare.

Remember, a dozer blade is not a plain section of a circle in shape, it is somewhat parabolic to lift the ground to the center of the blade to transport it... The more parabolic and "flatter" at the base, the more it can shear the ground and lift for any single pass.

On the other hand, if you want a blade that can be used for levelling, lean more towards a circular section, it will not lift and carry as much ground....

Just my .00c worth....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 05:55:40 AM »
Simple spikes, over time, will compact the dirt. 
The pro units use a hollow tube with a spring to eject the core, and are not suited to lawns with rock or gravel in the top 6"

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
Would be nice to see some pictures of it operating, maybe a short video?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
Nice 2 wheel tractor, Glort.  All tractors benefit from wheel weights for pulling power but I wonder how the heck you can get them on this little beast? 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 02:32:17 AM »
That would be sweet if you could actually make custom lead wheel weights.  50lbs per wheel would be useful.  Melting metals is your forte, I know.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Rough rule of thumb for density......

Concrete = 2.5 tonnes per m³
Steel = 8 tonnes per m³
Lead = 11 tonnes per m³

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 04:00:35 PM »
Mass of a  cylinder is pi * radius squared * thickness * density.  Lead is 11.36 g/ccm  or steel 7.87 g/ccm.

Your example= 36 kg in lead, 25 kg in iron.

For the water filled wheel- the average car tire is allegedly 11 liters in volume.   If you can get 8 liters of water in there that's 8000 ccm x 1 g/cm3 = just 8 kg each.

My friend with an old Massey tractor found the same thing- the calcium chloride and water filled tires were a PITA and corroded the wheels, the bolt on wheel weights were better.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:32:25 AM by BruceM »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »
Why bother with tyres at all? Why not use steel wheels with lots of steel triangles welded to the rims. Seen that sort of set up on the bulldozer at the local council landfill dump.

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
Just remember your gear ratio will change when you put larger wheels on. (more speed).  Get a good set of running shoes

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »
Glort you don't need wheel-weights or lead rims or steel spike wheels . . . what you need is a bigger tractor.  More is always better

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 09:01:39 AM »
Good thinking Mike, then he`ll need a bigger shed to store it in, which he will fill with engines and other associated detritus. He will then need another shed and so on adifinitum until he needs to move house again. The new property will need to be massive with aircraft hangers all covered in solar panels.  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »
Glort, what a tool! (I`m talking about the tool not Glort) All it needs now is some sort of chariot to go behind it and maybe a turbo charger and it`s worthy of a place in a Mad Max movie. You could get rego and the missus could run it around the supermarket as a state of the art invalid carriage.

Please check my post in more panels regarding your wife feeling cold.

Bob

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »
I have a honda frc 800.  beast of a machine runs great and is just a great tiller.