Author Topic: Diesel Conversion Project.  (Read 1434 times)

dax021

• View Profile
Re: Diesel Conversion Project.
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
Would be nice to see some pictures of it operating, maybe a short video?

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 11:29:32 PM »

Yeah I was planning to do that today.  Would have done it yesterday but Visitors came to see the invalid and stayed till almost dark so was too late.
I want to make a quick trip to the scrap metal Bin to see what useful treasure has been deposited this week that I can use to make up some more attachments.  I'm thinking to ring the scrap metal place and see what they are Charging to buy lead so I can look at melting up some wheel weights.
I think that will be a lot easier than trying to do something out of steel and obviously a lot more effective as well.

That said, If I can find some old bar bell weights, that would be ideal.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »

Got some more work in on the psuedo Tractor today.

Pulled the wheels off and reversed them to give about another 10 cm of track. Don't know if it will do anything or not but it looks better.
Went to the scrap Bin and found a very convenient bit of Sq tube that fits in the back higch near perfect. I can cut sections and drill it to attach serious Implements I want to make up. 
I also found a very scary looking bit of semi Circular shaped plate that will be perfect for a Root Knife. Sharpen the edges of that up and it will go though some of the many spawns that infect my garden from the very tall weeds with branches which will soon be gone when I take an excavator to them.

I also got a section of large, galvanised Angle I want to cut a point in and use that as a small plough tool.  I'll have to wait till I get the bits for my plasma cutter because It will take a whole blade on the cutoff saw. 
I made up a frame for a small plough blade to see how that works.  I think that is going to be a learning curve to use that. I gave it a try with the blade just tacked on and as I suspected, with the blade angled the forces want to lift the wheels and reduce traction.  Might have to try having the blade flat..... now that I went to all the trouble of making an angles bracket to mount it.  Ah well, Live and learn.

The engine got unbolted and pushed as far back towards the gearbox as Possible. Even with the slightest drag on the belt, the gearing is so low the thing wants to keep moving.  Thing really needs some sort of brake on it.

I did get nephew to do a vid of me giving the front garden a bit of a plough but suffice to say Movie production and camera operator are not going to be his calling so I'll see if Mrs is up to holding the camera tomorrow and get her to do one.
The single tine Ripper worked really well but the wheels loose traction on the very loose ground easily. Wheel weights to get the thing to bite are going to be essential. Probably wont do a lot of good on the hard ground here till it rains at least.

I Did go down the driveway and ripped up some agapanthus and decorative grass clumps but it did struggle for traction.  Maybe I should sit on the thing and get Mrs to steer. Maybe put a seat for her on the top and use her as ballast?
The diesel will definitely be an advantage in it's more substantial bulk which is about twice that of the petrol engine.

the ripper I extended can be seen at the back of the machine. This is where most of the attachments will go.
Blade will be useful in cleaning up and leveling that bit of garden up.

This is the bit I ripped where the lines can bee seen.  Don't look like much but there were a lot of roots in that which would have stopped anything larger. Still one big one I'll have to get the recip saw on. From there I'll Loosen it all up. I'd like to do a decorative veggie garden there but I don't like my chances. It's very dry there and as soon as the frost goes the heat will come and  getting on for spring, probably have flocks of birds on the search for food as well.

Tomorrow I'll see how I go with the little scraper blade, a larger plough and some wheel weights.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
Nice 2 wheel tractor, Glort.  All tractors benefit from wheel weights for pulling power but I wonder how the heck you can get them on this little beast? 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 12:42:08 AM »

I wondered too Bruce but looking at the wheels yesterday, they simply pin onto the octagonal axle.
Round the wheel there are about 6-8 Little bolts that go through the rim. Their Function seems to be nothing at all.... other than maybe holding weights on.
 I was also thinking it shouldn't be hard to put barbell weights inside the wheel on the axles if the hole in the weights is large enough. 

I reckon make up a mold for some lead, maybe just a bit of metal strip overlapped to the right Diameter and set in sand and notch the resulting Donut for the valve stem and you could screw the weight in place  through the back of the wheel.
There are weights for these things and those like them but I can't find any here in Oz. Plenty for sale in your part of the world though.  I think these tractors are popular everywhere bar here.

I'll have to see how much they charge for scrap lead /Kg.  From memory it's not at all cheap.
Alternately, Gumtree, Gym equipment for free.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2018, 02:32:17 AM »
That would be sweet if you could actually make custom lead wheel weights.  50lbs per wheel would be useful.  Melting metals is your forte, I know.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2018, 03:41:57 AM »

I was wondering how much I'd Need.  I was kinda thinking double that but just a wild Guess. Thing will be a beast to man handle once it gets that much extra lard on board.  Thing would gain nearly another 25 Kg when I put the Diesel on it which I am feeling more motivated to do now.
I'll see if I can find an online calculator to see if I can work out the weight of lead and steel at certain thicknesses at a 10 Diameter which is about the inner wheel size.  Melting ( or casting to be precise) steel or cast iron is not something I have done or have a real yearning to.
Lead and ally is childs play and copper is where it starts getting half serious.

I don't know what it is atm but I feel like I have been hit by a truck. I was good the other week but this last week, I'm buggered. Was wondering if it was sympathy pains for the Mrs. She keeps telling me I look worse than she feels.
Probably nothing more than diabetes acting up again.
Time to go back to the Doc for a butt kicking and motivation injection.  One of the few medicos I trust and greatly respect.
Too much to do to keep feeling exhausted by the time the first coffee of the day is finished.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Rough rule of thumb for density......

Concrete = 2.5 tonnes per m
Steel = 8 tonnes per m
Lead = 11 tonnes per m

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »

Being mathematically and everything else challenged.....

The wheel is 17 cm in diameter.  How thick would lead and steel have to be at 25Kg?
I figure 14 Cm thick would give a tad over 26 KG in lead and 20 Cm of steel would give 27 odd Kg.

What say the intelligent and mathematically inclined?

The other thing I was thinking after looking at YT Vids is bigger wheels and tyres would probably help.
I notice for the tractors of this type that plough, they tend to have larger wheels than fitted on my little toy.  Some of them look like full size tractor tyres!  I was wondering about taking a pair of centers from the extra tillers I have and  mounting some regular car steel rims onto them.

Tractor wheels ( and tyres ) seem very exy and all I would need to do would be center the axles with teh square plates on the rims and weld or drill and bolt them on.
  Next thought was what sizes do the tractor tyres come in that would adapt to standard 14, 15, 16 or 17" wheel rims?
 Then I wondered given the ground I want to rip is either very Loose or very freaking hard, Rather than the nice Moist soil I see these things pulling plough through that would have a lot of bite, would the tractor bar tread tyres even make any damn  Difference?  Already seen the bar tyres just tear the loose stuff away and dig themselves into holes and they certainly are not going to get a lot of purchase on the hard clay that is prevelant around here either. 

Perhaps a couple of  car tyres with a block tread pattern would do just as well through having a bigger contact patch and I could fill them with more water to make them heavier and not need the weights.  Could run them at low pressure, maybe 20 PSI for a bit more contact patch as well.
I have a feeling car tyres would probably have more grip on the clay than the bar tyres that  would have less contact and sit up on top rather than sink in.

My infertile little brain then wondered how much I might be able to pick up a set of snow chains for to put around said tyres as I see these are also used  to aid grip on ag equipment but again, that tends to be on soft ground, not the natural concrete I have.

Reckon my little 2 wheel tractor would look very cool  sitting on a set of 245's  but not sure the low profile would be desirable?

Thoughts and suggestions most welcomed!

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 04:00:35 PM »
Mass of a  cylinder is pi * radius squared * thickness * density.  Lead is 11.36 g/ccm  or steel 7.87 g/ccm.

Your example= 36 kg in lead, 25 kg in iron.

For the water filled wheel- the average car tire is allegedly 11 liters in volume.   If you can get 8 liters of water in there that's 8000 ccm x 1 g/cm3 = just 8 kg each.

My friend with an old Massey tractor found the same thing- the calcium chloride and water filled tires were a PITA and corroded the wheels, the bolt on wheel weights were better.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:32:25 AM by BruceM »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »
Why bother with tyres at all? Why not use steel wheels with lots of steel triangles welded to the rims. Seen that sort of set up on the bulldozer at the local council landfill dump.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »

I have seen that in Asia they put like Paddle wheels on the things and also Chains with cleats on them.
I know the wheels type you are talking about and have no doubt it would work well.  Making the things sounds a load of work though. I have seen OS you can get little universal track units for all sorts of machinery.  Probably cost a fortune but would give grip like nothing else.

I have a couple of wheels I got to make a trailer so I'll have a look at them today with the hubs for the rotor tines.   Who knows, I might win the lottery and they match up or close to it.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
Just remember your gear ratio will change when you put larger wheels on. (more speed).  Get a good set of running shoes

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
Double Post
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:35:49 AM by glort »

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »
Glort you don't need wheel-weights or lead rims or steel spike wheels . . . what you need is a bigger tractor.  More is always better