Author Topic: Diesel Conversion Project.  (Read 1433 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: Diesel Conversion Project.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »

Nothing at all done today.
Just took pic of the still " Forming " blade on the gas bottle.  Don't think the overnight wrap did much, straps were still Piano string tight today.
Leave it till tomorrow or when ever. can't hurt if it don't help.

Had to grab the pics in between pelting the ball round the yard for the pup. She's not getting enough play time and misses her mother too.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »
More dog pics please, what a cute hound. Got offered a puppy today, it`s a cross between a white Alsatian and a Dalmatian and only six weeks old. If you can imagine a white Alsatian with Dalmatian spots you`ll get the general idea of how cute it is. I can have it for nothing but will have to register it, vaccinate it and have it micro chipped, about a thousand bucks. Not sure I can afford that right now but the missus will probably talk me round.

With regards to your steel bending experiment, what you need is heat or a much bigger hammer. ;D
Don`t recommend heating it while attached to the propane cylinder!

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
Don`t recommend heating it while attached to the propane cylinder!

No, I thought better of heating it while wrapped round the gas bottle.  the thought did occur but then I thought, no, that could be dangerous.
I might melt my ratchet straps doing that!  Good Job I have the smarts to think these things through!  :laugh:

I was thinking today about the Crane.
If I put a section of pipe under the legs and then put the steel under that, Put some chains round the steel and lifted the crane, Could bend it round as well and apply some heat.  Just have to be careful not to kink or fold it.
I'll work something out!

Would getting a Pup " set up" Cost that much Bob? I thought it would be about $600.  Guess it varys on the council area and the vets too.

Our  Pup is a very lovely Dog.  2nd border Collie we have had and so much like the first.  before them we always had Shepperds and Rotty's which were also very good dogs despite the fear so many people have with them.  had them all the time the kids grew up and never did we have one single problem. Our last Rottie, Angel, was by nature as she was name.   A big rottie at that going over 50KG well and truly but her nature was as gentle and sweet as could be.  Even the cat had no problem with her being around her kittens and she tried to mother them from the start.

I used to take her to school with me to pick up the kids.  there was a park across the road from the school where a bunch of us Muthers waited for the kids and let them play before going home.  Angel was in her element with them all and I think taught a lot of those kids not to be scared of dogs. there were a fair few Asian kinds ( and moreso parents) that were terrified of dogs but she won them all ( the kids at least) over and they came to love rather than fear her.

This one, Jessie, just wants to play ball 24/7.  I am sure despite all the dangerous things I do, she will be the death of me.  Every time I move after 30 sec doing something, I step on a ball. How I haven't twisted an ankle or cracked my skull yet I don't know but it HAS to happen one day.  If I am doing something and stay still for more than about 5 Minutes, there will be no less than 4 balls around me.  Usually about 6, the extras I haven't seen in a while.
Come to think of it, I am sure her favorite balls are still under the water tanks. Job for the crane to lift and get out for her.

A priority when we came here was to get fences built.  Haven't thought of it since about week 2 of being here. She never goes outside the property.
We normally lock her in the house but several times we have forgot to close a door and been out all day and she hasn't moved off the lounge all day.

Our youngest cat adores her.  Comes in meowing and when Jess comes out he goes running up to her and rubbing himself all over and rolling round purring his head off.  Never seen a cat so affectionate especially to a dog.  None of the others are the least bit worried by her either.  If she is asleep they will cuddle up or simply walk on her to get where they want and if they are on the bed and she comes bounding up and lies on them, they only move to avoid suffocation but not a Cm further away.

Still makes me laugh when Strangers come and are amazed to see the cats and the dog together.  Had their pics taken by a couple of different delivery guys that can't believe they get on so well and the cats love up to a dog.

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
Very nice dog Glort I love collies

This is Sally my mad stupid loyal fun gentle kind old Collie
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »

Wow!
What a face she has.  Like she has a human soul and looking into yours.  Beautiful!

I always think that animals are so much more smarter and knowing than humans. I'd love to be able to know what my Dogs and Cats are thinking. Sometimes you can tell and others you just look into their eyes and wonder what they would say if they could.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »
I love dogs, I prefer them to people, they are non judgmental and if you look after them they will stand by you through thick and thin.
In London we had George, who had his own web site, He was the pub dog at the Angel in Highgate and then at the Hen & Chickens on Highbury corner, Islington. We had a theater bar there and had live music most nights of the week. I have several live rhythm and blues recordings where you can hear him singing backing vocals. Had to have him euthanasia at 17 years old due to prostate cancer, broke our hearts. That said he had a great life and even got to roger Stella Rimington`s dog ( Stella was the head of the UK secret service at the time)

After that I used to do dog sitting for a while and we had a lot of dogs, up to ten a day. Used to put them all in the back of a VW Golf and take them to the park twice a day. Had some interesting conversations with local law enforcement about how to secure dogs in the back of a car, needless to say when they realized they were outnumbered 10 to 1 they all f*cked off.

We now have Jed who we saved from a local farmer. Poor little bugger was thin as after being chained up for two years before we found him. He now sleeps on our bed and guards our chickens during the day. A more spoiled and dysfunctional friend would be hard to find.

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »
I think you need a smaller mandrel to form that steel around, it's going to spring back when straps come off.  Not sure about a good way to curl the ends.  Maybe a slot carved in an axle, and stick the edge in there, and start to wrap (like a key on a sardine can)

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
Sardine cans here have a ring pull opening depriving me of an instant gasket tube roller

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 07:34:14 AM »
We get them fresh from Spain, no health and safety issues with the sharp edges...........

Cheers Stef 
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
Hey Glort...

I have made similar blades in the past, here's how I did it....

Materials required:

Steel section, DOUBLE the height of the blade required, cut to correct length.
2x channel iron, heavy section, at blade length
2x chain blocks
2x chains

Tack weld the channels down the long edges of the plate to bend
Hook the chain blocks to a suitable point and then to the chain, wrapping one turn of the chain around the channels/plate, then the chains to another suitable point.
Pull the chain blocks evenly, the channel stops the edges from bending, and keep going until a suitable parabolic shape is formed. (Note: the channels are on the outside edges of the bend.)
Once the initial bend has formed, remove the chain wrap and link the chains/blocks directly to the channels, much less pull is required as the curve increases...

When you have the correct curve on the blade after releasing the tension, section the parabola down its length, you then have a blade plus a spare.

Remember, a dozer blade is not a plain section of a circle in shape, it is somewhat parabolic to lift the ground to the center of the blade to transport it... The more parabolic and "flatter" at the base, the more it can shear the ground and lift for any single pass.

On the other hand, if you want a blade that can be used for levelling, lean more towards a circular section, it will not lift and carry as much ground....

Just my .00c worth....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »

Hey Ed,

Thanks for that! Very useful info. I had something similar in my head but not really clear on how to go about it. That clarifies a lot thank you.
I have everything bar the 2nd Chainblock but I'm sure I can improvise or borrow something.

I will keep the blade straight as leveling will be the main thing and I won't need to cut into the ground rather just scrape off the top. If I can only doze a limited amount, which I expected, that will be OK.  I have the time to make multiple passes.  that' said I was also thinking about something to increase blade height and capacity even in the form of a section of plastic barrel bolted on the top. A lot of what I want to move and level is very loose and light material like bark Chip that the previous owner must have bought in here by the semi load.  Was looking at a section of wire mesh the other day I have up the back as a scarifier as well which would be handy for leveling. that could go behind the Ride on once the 2 wheel tractor was done.

Brother in law round the corner and I also want to aerate and top dress our lawns this spring so the dozer  blade and the scarifier set up would be very useful.  Still trying to work out a practical way to make a lawn aerator and what I could use as spikes or corers that wouldn't cost a fortune or require a days cutting and grinding.  Don't know if spikes are ok or really needs coring. More research required!

I was thinking to get some flat bar and grind an edge onto it and attach that to the bottom of the blade as both a cutting, wear and strengthening edge.

I can see a practical use for an oil burning blast furnace in making some rippers and a Knife for Cutting roots.  To do a good job round here on all the roots,  I think I'm going to have to find myself a D9 to do an engine Substitution on.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 05:55:40 AM »
Simple spikes, over time, will compact the dirt. 
The pro units use a hollow tube with a spring to eject the core, and are not suited to lawns with rock or gravel in the top 6"

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 08:13:55 AM »

That's pretty much what I saw in my mind.

The spikes would make space by pressing the surrounding soil to make the gap.  A core would remove the soil to make the space for the air, water and fertiliser to get into. 

I think this will be a hire Job. Corerers  are pretty exy to hire but would not be cheap or quick to build either. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »

The inmate was finally released into my care just after lunch today and seems to be doing well.
Looks good in the face although a little pale but her blood pressure has been Low. I reassured the doc that would not be a problem once she got back home with me and it would rise quickly and maintain a good level in very short order as normal.  I said High blood pressure would be the thing we have to watch but I would do my best not to do anything raise it.  Like breathing.

As there is an industrial place just round the corner from the hospital, I popped in before I collected the invalid and grabbed an 8 Hp petrol engine.
yes, more blasphemy I know and my sould will burn in hell but I have been growing impatient to get the Tractor going and thought that before I start fabrifking around with things and spending money on proper taper lock pulleys and belts, I'd try and work out if the rest of the thing is up to speed.  I have a bunch of other gear with these same engines so if the tractor is buggered,  I'll still have a spare engine for  the chipper, pressue washer, pump, petrol genny and yard vac.  And Probably something else in the garden care section I have forgotten.

Using my collected tinkering genius on par with the great engineers of the World like Isambard Kingdom Brunell, our own Ed Dee and BruceM,  I managed to secure the engine to the frame with the 4 Mounting bolts. Didn't even shed a drop of blood due to the proficiency of hacking skills!

First slight problem is the original engine is a side valve so the cylinder is straight up and down. The new one is OHV so cocked off to the side so takes up a bit more room.  The engine is at the far limit of the mounting slots which meant the belt was tighter. Fortunately I have a pulley 1/2 Smaller that fits BUT of course it's missing the grub screw and a wodruff key.  Back to the other industrial place tomorrow to see if they have these or another 2.5" pulley.
Keen to get the garden done before the weather starts getting hot again and getting the diesel in place may take some part sourcing.

The engine fitted up OK  but there is a slight interference with the Muffler on the belt.   I'll modify this one with a gentle persuader seeing it's impossible to make the thing any worse than it is.  When you look at the angle of the exhaust and where the belt runs, it's not a great position for it really given a lot of these engines would be driving belt setups.  I wonder what the Diesel exhausts are like? I have already noticed they come out the head straight into a flat surface as the pipe turns sharply.  Might make a " Performance"  ( has some decent flow and not designed like it's MEANT to kill power) when I put one on the tractor.  Probably should go straight up in the air with a ran flapper on it for that authentic look.  Have to see if I can find a small Diameter hot dog type Muffler to put in the center as well.

What a piece of terrible crap that muffler is!
 I removed the heat Shield to find the thing is just a pipe going into a chamber that is pressed with wrinkles in it  with a diverter cover internally over the pipe to disperse the gasses in the chamber. Seems to have little clearance to the pipe end as well so probably a horrible restriction there as well.
Surely it could not cost that much more to  design and make a decent muffler that quitened the racket and had a less terrible and power robbing, consumption increasing flow rate.  It's a wonder it does any Silencing at all!

I think I'll look at making up some new exhausts for the other engines I have.  Makes me wonder how they rate the power of these engines. With a crappy muffler like that, or with something that has some decent flow to it.  Can only imagine what abomination the inlet is.  No Wonder the guys on the net playing with go karts can get 20 Hp out the things reliably . Decent exhaust would be worth 2-4 Hp alone!

Also took off the dozer plate from the gas tank after 3 Days.  Held it's shape better than I expected.  I'm thinking maybe rather than more curve, it's needs a wide piece to extend straight from the bottom edge. Might be better to fold it as per Ed's suggested method. I'll see if I can look up blade profiles to get an idea of what might be most effective.

Have to make some mountings up for the thing as well now. Don't know if it will be OK fixed or I should Incorporate something to allow it to be Pinned at different angles. I'll maybe  look at adding weight to the blade so it does bite and the tyres grip.
While I'm at the engineering shop,  I'll see if they have any B series belts. I measured today with a 4" pulley rather than the original 3 and the belt should be pretty good at 1000mm exactly. The clutch mechanism also allows for some leeway being just a tension devise.

Put air in the tyres as well and the thing rolls amazingly free now. I'll try to get the wheels off and reverse them to give a wider spread. Don't have any narrow work in mind for the time being so the extra track width won't hurt.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
SHE LIVES!

Well not yet in diesel form but at least in Devils fuel self propelled power!

industrial place was closed today, should have thought of that BUT  the mower shop whom do a lot of commercial and small farm / Ag type gear was open so I went for a drive.  Very nice and helpful bloke had everything I needed. When I told him it was for a DIY conversion, he seemed excited and went to lengths to tell me they can get whatever pulleys, belts, couplings and whatever else I need.  their prices seem pretty reasonable as well so I'll give them a go.  they are close and the service there is always good.

Got the shaft key and the grub screw for the Pulley I had, Put them in and carefuly and then had to modify the crappy Muffler.  The discharge was right on where all the cables come down from the handlebars and are organised on the frame. that wasn't going to do.  Welded a plate over the original outlet and bored a hole on the top of the thing at the opposite end to the inlet with a step Drill.
Panel beat the muffler corner to gain some clearance to the drive belt. Knocking the thing in was disturbingly easy. I think 3 layers of aluminium foil would have had more structural strength.

Put OIL in the engine before the fuel to avoid mistakes of haste and excitement.  Threw a bit of 2-stroke in the fuel to give it a little break in lube . Can't hurt if it don't help and makes me feel better anyway.
Fired her up and engine sat there purring.  Belt is still a fraction tight and wants to drive the pulley a little even with the clutch Disengaged. I'd made sure I found where neutral was on the thing anyway. This works much the same as my other plough so had a bit of a heads up with that.
The reduction is so much in the lower gears I could probably plough a field although very slowly just spinning the drive pulley with my finger.

Put in gear, pushed the clutch and off we went in a very sedate manner.  Tried the hand Clutches for spinning the thing on the opposite wheel, worked perfect.  1st gear in low range would probably pull a house off it's foundation if the thing could hook up the traction.  5th gear in high is easily enough to have you jogging behind the thing to keep up at low-moderate engine revs. Nearly pulled me off my feet when I engaged it and as surprised by the turn of speed from a just over idle running engine.  High range is still going going to be perfect for pulling a trailer round the place.

I like this little toy!

I was so impressed with it the thought crossed my mind to leave the thing with the engine it now has. 

The ripper blade was set up in the wrong direction unless you wanted to push not pull it which I didn't so I put the thing on the drop saw and cut it in 2 from the coupling. I also noticed it was way too high so found a bit of lightweight 1/2 steel  strip and cut a length and welded about 300 mm onto the cut ends and extended the reach about 200MM. Perfect!

took the thing for a test plough would the garden bed and it ripped up soil, grass and 20mm tree roots without a 2nd thought.  Clearly traction will be the limiting factor here. The motor does not even load up when the wheels are excavating the dirt beneath them. I put 20 PSI in the tyres yesterday. I think that's a little high but I also thing lower the pressures won't do much for the grip.  More weight I think is sorely needed..... or a pair of Idler wheels and a set of runner Tracks.  With the ability to disengage each wheel, it would be a highly practical conversion.  May as well just put steering wheels in the front and make the thing a Half track  then.  Hmmm, that would be freaking Cool!

Next thing I think will be to modify the rear hitch arrangement.  Currently it's a 100mm C section  with a hole for a pin.  I'm thinking get a bent tow bar from the yard, cut off the hitch section and weld that to the tractor and then I can just use 50mm thickwall  Square  tube  and pin that.  Will give more rigidity for a trailer, I can have it vertical so I can have height adjustment for implements and I can also have offset attachments like a blade to the side for Cutting garden/ lawn edges.

The tools/ attachment are definitely going to be the key to this things versatility. there would be a LOT that they can do.
Last night I saw on the net where someone had made a stump Grinder attachment for one of these things and another had fitted  a large saw blade for Cutting large Logs on the ground.  I love this idea as it would enable one to put a lot more power into cutting than even a large chainsaw.
The thing has a power takoff on the gearbox but where it is positioned, I suspect that is just a continuation of the gearbox input shaft from the engine.
That's OK, Might look at putting an alternator there so I have a mobile high power battery charger and power supply.  I wanted to fit a light bar anyway.... just for shits and giggles.

Tomorrow I'm going to Cut some large angle I have to a V point and set that up as a wedge type Plough with ripping the grass plants out the front garden. Just not sure wether pushing the thing like a dozer blade or pulling it like a ripper would be better? Getting the machine over the vegetation may try to lift it and reduce traction if it is pulling.  I think pushing may allow me to leverage the machine down between the plant if the machine loses traction and force it down harder while prising the plant out at the same time.

Think I'll try it that way and see how I go.

The diesel would give the thing some benefit by weight I think.  I'll also try to work out if the wheels have tubes and if so I'll fill the tyres with water for more traction.

I'm all of $110 into this atm and it's a good runner. Only Paid $56 for the diesel but I will need maybe $100 worth of pulleys and belts for hat so add 50% cost to what it is now. 

Still the bargain of the century!   :laugh: